PDA

View Full Version : SB2 wont detect new music.

McCol
2005-10-09, 00:53
I've had my SB2 for a couple of months with no problems until now.

I had some cd's encoded to flac in a folder on my hard drive, all was well. Last few days i put some new albums encoded at mp3 320 into the same folder, when i rescan with the SB2 it is not detecting these new files.

Any ideas?

tubesguy
2005-10-11, 16:24
I'm having an ongoing problem with that issue in iTunes. Rescanning does nothing, and slimserver seems to find different, wrong total numbers of songs in the library. The only fix I've found is to download a new version of slimserver and let it go to work scanning. Not very convenient, or confidence-inspiring. - Pat

Michaelwagner
2005-10-11, 17:45
There are 2 ways to scan the music directory. One is the rescan button. The other wipes the cache of existing music and then scans fully. I'm not sure of the exact meaning of each scan, but the second one makes fewer assumptions and so gets it right more often in odd situations.

Have you tried the second one?

That, by the way, is what you are effectively doing when you install a new version.

Michael

Michaelwagner
2005-10-11, 17:46
Oh, another thing. Any chance of 2 similarly named tracks? For instance, Happy Birthday.flac and Happy Birthday.mp3 ?

BBobley
2005-10-13, 08:40
I've had my SB2 for a couple of months with no problems until now.

I had some cd's encoded to flac in a folder on my hard drive, all was well. Last few days i put some new albums encoded at mp3 320 into the same folder, when i rescan with the SB2 it is not detecting these new files.

Any ideas?

I find that I must do a rescan with wipe cache most of the time. Sometimes the trick of browsing to the new songs will work (using Browse Music Folder). But most of the time I have to rescan with wipe cache.

In my opinion, this is still the biggest flaw with SlimServer (really the only major flaw in my opinion). Adding songs is something that you do all the time. There needs to be a simple, repeatable process for adding songs. For techie people like me, I don't mind having to "play" with the unit to get it to see songs. But I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for non-techie users who don't want to tinker with it. Like with their IPods, they just want to add a song and it is ready to play. I think ultimately Slim Devices needs to get to the point where adding a new song is a no-brainer.

snarlydwarf
2005-10-13, 09:27
It shouldn't be too hard (on Unix anyway) to cheat to have it add new songs with a proper scan: use the CLI to check the contents of the folder that the new tracks are in, and that should add them to the database.

If I trusted abcde, what I use to rip/encode, to always be exactly right, I'd tack something like that onto the end of it.

marc1966
2005-10-13, 09:32
I also have this problem since about 3 months with a Squeezebox1. And I really hate it! Especially because Slimdevices talks about their robust server software! It can't be a solution to wipe the cache and make a rescan after every album I import with iTunes (which has got no problems despite of more than 11.000 songs)!

Please help!

Regards

Marc

Michaelwagner
2005-10-14, 08:22
This sounds like a problem with the music scanning logic. It's certainly not the way it's supposed to work. Please each of you report what O/S and what version of slim you're using.

tubesguy
2005-10-14, 09:02
I've got XP SP2 and I'm using 6.1.1 with the problem. It's not just getting it to recognize newly added songs, but also just getting it to recognize the entire library when I turn the computer off and then on again. Frustrating. - Pat

marc1966
2005-10-14, 09:18
Mac OS 10.4.2, iTunes 5.9, Squeezebox1, Slimserver 6.1.1
Over 11.500 songs in iTunes

Seablayne
2005-10-15, 08:54
XP SP2 with slim server 6.1.1
SlimServer is picking up my MP3 and WMA Lossless files - no problem but no FLAC files even with complete rescan. I thought FLAC was supposed to be the native lossless format of choice for the Squeezebox SB2.

ceejay
2005-10-15, 10:27
XP SP2 with slim server 6.1.1
SlimServer is picking up my MP3 and WMA Lossless files - no problem but no FLAC files even with complete rescan. I thought FLAC was supposed to be the native lossless format of choice for the Squeezebox SB2.

Well, there are plenty of people around here successfully using FLAC, so its unlikely to be the file format itself causing you the problem. Are the FLAC files in the same main directory, on the same drive, as the others? Also, is itunes involved anywhere in your setup?

Ceejay.

Mike Meyer
2005-10-17, 07:12
I'm glad I found this thread. I'm also having this problem on WinME with SlimServer 6.0.2 but I haven't done the Wipe Cache option so I will try that tonight.

Michaelwagner
2005-10-17, 07:23
So far it was 6.1.1 for everyone, but now we have someone reporting it also in 6.0.1. Please Mike tell us if the wipe cache solves the problem for you.

It makes it easier to narrow down where to look for errors.

It's possible this error is already fixed in 6.2 which is going to be released soon .. but it's also possible that it's not.

Mike Meyer
2005-10-18, 06:45
The Wipe Cache function fixed my problem on WinME and Slimserver 6.0.2. I am able to play FLAC now. Hope that helps you in your troubleshooting.

Thanks.

Guy
2005-12-15, 05:07
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but was this ever resolved?

I'm having problems similar to those described above where my SlimServer won't find new tracks that are placed in my music folder (or it finds one or two at best from a whole album), the only way to get it to recognise them is to wipe the cache and rescan. Which I don't think I should have to do every time I add new music?

I'm using 6.2.1 on Windows Server 2003 SP1.

Thanks

slimpy
2005-12-15, 05:36
I'm having problems similar to those described above where my SlimServer won't find new tracks that are placed in my music folder (or it finds one or two at best from a whole album)
Do you keep all your files in one single directory? If you have one directory per album and browse the new directory via "Browse music" the new tracks are recognised reliably (at least on my system, 6.2.1 on Suse Linux 9.1).

-s.

Guy
2005-12-17, 03:23
Thanks for that - I've got my folder set up with one folder per artist and a folder per album beneath that. I'll try using browse music next time I add some new tunes.

I still don't think this should be necessary, why does the SlimServer not pick up additions automatically? I've got the scheduled rescan set up and that makes no difference either.

slimpy
2005-12-17, 13:09
I had a scheduled rescan too, but I turned this feature off as it seemed to lose tracks (and playlists) rather than adding new music. I do a complete rescan after deleting the cache folder once in a while and in between I add music with the "Browse music folder" method.

-s.