PDA

View Full Version : Book the cruise, honey!

seanadams
2005-10-07, 23:17
We've just reduced pricing by $30 for SB2 wireless, and $20 for SB2 wired.

CardinalFang
2005-10-08, 00:16
We've just reduced pricing by $30 for SB2 wireless, and $20 for SB2 wired.

Does that mean that there's a new SqueezeBox coming? :-)

Great news, I need another for the kitchen. Hopefully the price drop will get transferred across to the UK.

Paul

Dave D
2005-10-08, 06:36
Does that mean that there's a new SqueezeBox coming? :-)

Great news, I need another for the kitchen. Hopefully the price drop will get transferred across to the UK.

Paul

Yeah, maybe this goes along with the removal of the nice backgound "2" from the squeezebox2 splash screen. I too, was disappointed to see that change, by the way. Maybe the Co. is anticipating a number of upgrades and doesn't want to have different versions of firmware/bitmaps for "2" "3" "4" etc.

max.spicer
2005-10-08, 06:40
I really think it's probably a bit soon for SlimDevices to be replacing the SqueezeBox2! Mind you, I'd be really interested to see what else they'd bring in...

Max

Yeah, maybe this goes along with the removal of the nice backgound "2" from the squeezebox2 splash screen. I too, was disappointed to see that change, by the way. Maybe the Co. is anticipating a number of upgrades and doesn't want to have different versions of firmware/bitmaps for "2" "3" "4" etc.

radish
2005-10-08, 07:28
How about this - a new device which shares the same internals as the SB2, and isn't meant as a replacement, but a compliment. It would share the same base firmware, so you'd need to lose the 2 from the logo. What is it? Who knows. The long awaited SqueezeBoxBoomBox? SqueezeBoxToGo with Rhapsody/Napster support? SqueezeBoxGallop pony mounted edition? Or maybe they're just lowering prices to stay competitive. Good news in any case.

max.spicer
2005-10-08, 08:14
I hope it's the in-car Squeezebox in that case! :-)

Max

How about this - a new device which shares the same internals as the SB2, and isn't meant as a replacement, but a compliment. It would share the same base firmware, so you'd need to lose the 2 from the logo. What is it? Who knows. The long awaited SqueezeBoxBoomBox? SqueezeBoxToGo with Rhapsody/Napster support? SqueezeBoxGallop pony mounted edition? Or maybe they're just lowering prices to stay competitive. Good news in any case.

Neil Davidson
2005-10-08, 08:20
> How about this - a new device which shares the same internals
> as the SB2, and isn't meant as a replacement, but a
> compliment. It would share the same base firmware, so you'd
> need to lose the 2 from the logo. What is it? Who knows. The
> long awaited SqueezeBoxBoomBox? SqueezeBoxToGo with
> Rhapsody/Napster support? SqueezeBoxGallop pony mounted edition?
> Or maybe they're just lowering prices to stay competitive.
> Good news in any case.
>

I'm liking the last suggestion the best :)

ModelCitizen
2005-10-08, 09:27
Judging by how much time Sean has been spending on the Audiophile forum/list I'll take a punt that it will be an audiophile version. i.e. in much better case, with better psu and at a much heftier price.

Mind you, then there would be no point in discounting the Squeezebox 2.
Hmmm.. back to the drawing board.
MC

jcyr
2005-10-08, 11:29
Dang! $30 price reduction less than one week after I purchased...

max.spicer
2005-10-08, 11:33
You could send it back and get another one, but you'd probably find that the postage came to about the same anyway. Plus you'd have to be without the box for a week or so, which would be A Bad Thing.

Max

Dang! $30 price reduction less than one week after I purchased...

JJZolx
2005-10-08, 12:41
I really think it's probably a bit soon for SlimDevices to be replacing the SqueezeBox2
Since when does a company coming out with a new product have to replace an old one? I'd hope that by now Slim Devices is capable of selling more than one product at a time.

Music Machine
2005-10-08, 18:16
I bet a new version would have the 5-12v power trigger. Yea, that's the ticket. Then my amp could turn on and off automatically with the squeezebox. It just keeps getting better and better.

Regards

Dave D
2005-10-08, 18:19
I really think it's probably a bit soon for SlimDevices to be replacing the SqueezeBox2! Mind you, I'd be really interested to see what else they'd bring in...

Max

There are a number of very nice products SD could introduce, along with the SB2, assuming they have grown enough to be able to swing more than one product at a time:

1) The "audiophile version" we all have mused about, perhaps looking something like Andrew's ("audiofi") picture here:

http://audiofi.dudehost.com/other/squeezeboxtextured4.gif
from this thread:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=16376

2) SB2 with integrated Class-D amp (maybe a version with no line level or SPDIF outputs to keep the cost down). Keep the price low enough and it could compete with other whole-house audio solutions, while providing greater functionality. A mid-power Class-D amp using the Tripath chip might be nice (see Sonic Impact).

3) A version to fit in a single or dual-gang outlet box :) Put a little LCD display on it. Offer it with the integrated Class-D amp. Not sure how to get power to it, though.

4) The "boombox" version. Not for me, but I've seen it mentioned here a few times.

Michaelwagner
2005-10-08, 19:18
5. The in-dash car version

ceejay
2005-10-08, 23:56
5. The in-dash car version

... mmm, just perfect for when you're sitting in the car in your driveway.

Not so good when you drive off and leave the range of your wireless network :)

Ceejay

Michaelwagner
2005-10-09, 09:08
... mmm, just perfect for when you're sitting in the car in your driveway.

Not so good when you drive off and leave the range of your wireless network :)
Put it in promiscuious mode and have it fade in and out as you pick up on other people's wireless networks in the area ... just like the good old days of AM radio ....

Actually, I was expecting the in-dash version to be wired only, wired to the in-car ethernet supported by the server in your trunk.

You don't know about trunk servers? I found this reference (notice the last line)

2005 SlimServer Commit by kdf :: r4584 /branches/BRANCH_TT_WRAPPER/server/ (6 files in 4 dirs): (link)
Description: - updates from trunk

But seriously, folks, I'm sure I saw a description of someone a while ago who put something like a buffalo linkstation in their trunk and ran a moded squeezebox in their dash. It wouldn't take much for SLIM to come up with a box that fit the form factor of a car radio.

A word of warning ... if you want to try this at home, read carefully the articles on the net about getting clean power in a car. It's not a simple task ... you have to be very careful about assumptions during startup and shutdown of the engine. It's a very spikey environment.

Oh, and I think they used wireless to update the system from the home system when it was parked in the garage at night ...

seanadams
2005-10-09, 13:09
Actually, I was expecting the in-dash version to be wired only, wired to the in-car ethernet supported by the server in your trunk.

You don't know about trunk servers? I found this reference (notice the last line)

2005 SlimServer Commit by kdf :: r4584 /branches/BRANCH_TT_WRAPPER/server/ (6 files in 4 dirs): (link)
Description: - updates from trunk

We've also been working to improve boot speed.

autopilot
2005-10-09, 14:37
A squeezebox with some basic controls on the front, rather than just having to use the remote, could open up a whole new world of opititunities for people who own Bar's/Pubs/Cafe's/hotels and want the public to be able to access music without the remote going missing. I say that because i know someone who wants do just that.

Whatever you do, keep using those great displays and please don't go down the colour screen route :)

kefa
2005-10-09, 14:57
come on, the killer enhancement has got to be the inclusion of a DVI output and 5+1 SPDIF sound. Streaming films from the PC to the the TV+AV has got to be cool...

Michaelwagner
2005-10-09, 17:04
We've also been working to improve boot speed.
For british cars, I presume?