PDA

View Full Version : How to start streaming with iTunes? N00B

plushlush
2005-10-07, 17:06
Ok, so I have the shit running, I can go to the webpage it creates on port 9000, except it says "no player detected".... I don't have the Slim Device mp3 hardware, or whatever this software is truly designed for, I'm just looking for mp3 streaming software that will stream what I am listening to on iTunes on the web. Any takers for this n00b?

kdf
2005-10-07, 17:45
On 7-Oct-05, at 5:06 PM, plushlush wrote:

>
> Ok, so I have the shit running,
?

> I can go to the webpage it creates on
> port 9000, except it says "no player detected".... I don't have the
> Slim Device mp3 hardware, or whatever this software is truly designed
> for,

in the text where the page tells you there is no player detected, there
is also a link to a software player, softsqueeze.

> I'm just looking for mp3 streaming software that will stream what
> I am listening to on iTunes on the web.

Slimserver is more for listening to your own music, as opposed to
broadcasting.
what you probably want is nicecast.

-k

plushlush
2005-10-07, 17:55
But nicecast costs $$$.... I was referred to slimserver not only cause it's free but for it's general niceness :) Can I use it for my purposes? Thanks so much!

kdf
2005-10-07, 18:15
On 7-Oct-05, at 5:55 PM, plushlush wrote:

>
> But nicecast costs $$$.... I was referred to slimserver not only cause
> it's free but for it's general niceness :) Can I use it for my
> purposes? Thanks so much!
>
you can, but it is not, perhaps, ideal. Users can point itunes or
winamp to http://serverIP:9000/stream.mp3, where serverIP is the
address of your computer running slimserver. Each connection becomes
its own player, however, so you still have to queue up playlists for
each and start playback. Every stream takes additional network
bandwidth, which you can limit in the player settings. Each player has
its own playlist, rather than automatically mimicking what you play on
itunes.
-kdf

plushlush
2005-10-07, 18:22
Yes I've tried that, except the computers which have connected (supposedly connected, there's a message they're connected along with a source as Slimserver) don't get any sound. It's as if nothing's being broadcast :(

kdf
2005-10-07, 18:40
On 7-Oct-05, at 6:22 PM, plushlush wrote:

>
> Yes I've tried that, except the computers which have connected
> (supposedly connected, there's a message they're connected along with a
> source as Slimserver) don't get any sound. It's as if nothing's being
> broadcast :(
>
nothing is, until you go into the slimserver web interface, add songs
to the players and start playback from there. Any players connecting
cannot control anything. If they want to choose their own tunes, they
have to connect to your slimserver web page.

-kdf

gages
2005-10-09, 14:52
Installed 6.1 without SB2 and got everything running.

So you can not control the playlist from the machine connecting to the slimserver.

I assume that once I get the sb2 hardware, the remote from that unit will let me select playlists (from Itunes) and then songs within the playlists?

Steve

radish
2005-10-09, 15:32
So you can not control the playlist from the machine connecting to the slimserver.

Yes you can, you just need to use softaqueeze or thw web interface. You can't control it from a third party player like winamp.

I assume that once I get the sb2 hardware, the remote from that unit will let me select playlists (from Itunes) and then songs within the playlists?

Of course.

gages
2005-10-09, 16:16
Radish,

Thx. I have set the iTunes Reload Interval to 60 and the Rescan Music Library to On at 12:00am.

If I have an itunes playlist that I add to the current playlist for the device (go to browse playist and click + add to playlist)
then I modify the playlist in itunes. Will the Squeezebox current playlist be updated?

I guess my basic question is, I would like the squeezebox play lists mirror my itunes config exactly, that is be able to select playlists or choose by genre, album, autor, etc.

Steve

radish
2005-10-09, 16:33
If I have an itunes playlist that I add to the current playlist for the device (go to browse playist and click + add to playlist)
then I modify the playlist in itunes. Will the Squeezebox current playlist be updated?

I'm not sure as I don't use iTunes myself (or playlists really), but I kinda doubt it. I imagine that once a playlist is added to the now playing list it ceases to be a playlist of it's own and just becomes a collection of tracks.

I guess my basic question is, I would like the squeezebox play lists mirror my itunes config exactly, that is be able to select playlists or choose by genre, album, autor, etc.
You can certainly browse by genre etc, and play playlists, but the specific example you gave of updating while it's playing seems a little unlikely.

gages
2005-10-09, 16:43
OK, new way of thinking.

What is the easiest way to add my entire music collection and playlists in one shot?

When using the SB2 do you need to hit play in the current play list?

radish
2005-10-09, 19:31
What is the easiest way to add my entire music collection and playlists in one shot?
What do you mean by "add"? Play? Got to one of the browse options and hit "Play All". If you mean import from itunes that will happen automatically.

When using the SB2 do you need to hit play in the current play list?
Again I'm not really sure I understand the question. The now playing list is exactly that - what's now playing. So that implies you already hit play...

I suggest you install softsqueeze and try it - it works exactly like an SB2 so you can test out whatever you like.

gages
2005-10-09, 19:42
ordered the sb2 tonight, I am sure it will be clearer with the unit in hand...

radish
2005-10-10, 07:16
I'm sure you'll enjoy it :)

gages
2005-10-10, 07:22
I made some changes to my Itunes playlists and they are being updated on the home page under browse playlists.

If i want to explore re ripping my collection to lossless, what appraoch would you recommend? I would need this in a separate area on my disk (or another machine) as I would not want to synch lossless to my ipod. Would still like to manage the playlists with itunes.