PDA

View Full Version : Is 'PLAY' on remote control possible on all levels?

wimvandorst
2005-10-07, 12:42
Hi all,

I am a very happy owner of a Squeezebox2, wired to a small LAN with Slimserver on a Linux server tucked away in a cupboard on the attic. The web-interface is excellent for manipulating the SB2 here from the couch with my laptop.

In this webinterface, I can click on 'Play' at nearly every browsing level. With the remote control, I can use the arrow keys for browsing very well, but I don't seem to be able to push the 'Play' button: it just doesn't do anything. (sometimes, it does do what I expect it to do).

Is Play on the remote control perhaps not possible on all levels? Or do I have a dudd remote control. If so, how do I get it fixed?

Met vriendelijke groeten, Wim van Dorst

seanadams
2005-10-07, 15:26
Please clarify: does the remote's "play" button not work *at all*, or does it not work in certain places?

To answer your question, yes it behaves the same as the play icon in the web interface.

wimvandorst
2005-10-07, 15:48
Hi Sean,
thanks for taking the effort answering my question.

(there's two answers to 'where':)
While standing in front of the SB2 (10 cm up to 200 cm), waving up, down, from above, from below: that's where the play button of the remote doesn't work. Mostly. Clickerclick. Nothing. Click, and then it suddenly works. And I mostly try it when on the name of a specific music folder with MP3s, while 'browsing music folder', but elsewhere in the browsing trees, the behaviour is similarly erratic.

And now trying out what I'm talking/writing about, I recall a (albeit slightly less) erratic behaviour of the red on/off button too, (but I just don't use that button that often). It isn't a one-click-to-"On" effect, but several pushes _real_ hard mostly turn the SB2 on.

With your confirmation about the intended way it should work, I guess the remote isn't working properly, notably on the right upper corner, but really only those two buttons: all other buttons (incl. FWD) work spot on. That is why I wondered whether there might be a software issue (I'm on latest software version). I have already tried out new batteries, resetting the batteries, swinging the remote (no noise), etc, to no avail sofar.

Recommendations?

JJZolx
2005-10-07, 17:00
Hi Sean,
thanks for taking the effort answering my question.

(there's two answers to 'where':)
While standing in front of the SB2 (10 cm up to 200 cm), waving up, down, from above, from below: that's where the play button of the remote doesn't work. Mostly. Clickerclick. Nothing. Click, and then it suddenly works. And I mostly try it when on the name of a specific music folder with MP3s, while 'browsing music folder', but elsewhere in the browsing trees, the behaviour is similarly erratic.

And now trying out what I'm talking/writing about, I recall a (albeit slightly less) erratic behaviour of the red on/off button too, (but I just don't use that button that often). It isn't a one-click-to-"On" effect, but several pushes _real_ hard mostly turn the SB2 on.

With your confirmation about the intended way it should work, I guess the remote isn't working properly, notably on the right upper corner, but really only those two buttons: all other buttons (incl. FWD) work spot on. That is why I wondered whether there might be a software issue (I'm on latest software version). I have already tried out new batteries, resetting the batteries, swinging the remote (no noise), etc, to no avail sofar.
Are you saying that when you navigate through the remote interface and you press 'Play', that in certain spots nothing ever happens? Or are you saying that in those spots, sometimes you have to press the 'Play' button several times? There's a big difference - the first would have to do with how the software operates, the second would be an indication of a hardware problem - weak batteries, or a problem with the remote control or the sensor in the Squeezebox.

wimvandorst
2005-10-07, 17:08
Are you saying that when you navigate through the remote interface and you press 'Play', that in certain spots nothing ever happens? Or are you saying that in those spots, sometimes you have to press the 'Play' button several times?

In those spots, I have to press play (or ON/OFF) numerous times. Effect is approximately one in 20 or 30. But only for the play button and the On/Off button. I surmised a hardware problem already, and checked all the obvious things. It being so oddly erratic on comparison to all other buttons (immediate response, 10 out of 10), I was wondering whether it wasn't just a misconception by me of the way the SW is supposed to work.

mherger
2005-10-08, 00:36
> In those spots, I have to press play (or ON/OFF) numerous times. Effect

Are "those spots" at a rather high level like eg. "Browse artists". And
another spot, where play works well is on a single song? This might be due
to the fact that slimserver will be very busy (and therefore unresponsive)
adding all your artists, but return quickly awaiting your commands if it's
a single song or album. And the more you hit play when it's not
responding, the worse: it will try to play everything over and over again,
every time blocking the UI for a while.

> is approximately one in 20 or 30. But only for the play button and the
> On/Off button. I surmised a hardware problem already, and checked all
> the obvious things. It being so oddly erratic on comparison to all

Could you still monitor CPU usage when you hit the play button?

Regards,

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

wimvandorst
2005-10-12, 13:03
>Are "those spots" at a rather high level like eg. "Browse artists". And another spot, where play works well is on a single song?

Hi, Michael,
Although I have seen this situation as well, indeed on high levels, these situations are readily recognizable. But the situation that as I point out isn't this.

Could you still monitor CPU usage when you hit the play button?

The SB2 just keeps on normally working well, e.g., playing music, but simply ignores the button-push of the Play button and the Off button. The SB2 even falls into the screensaver if you try long enough.

Following the above thread, I come to the conclusion of a hardware failure. I'll contact (by e-mail) the Sales Support dept to see how to work this out.

Thanks for given good suggestions.

wimvandorst
2005-10-27, 12:41
Following the above thread, I come to the conclusion of a hardware failure. I'll contact (by e-mail) the Sales Support dept to see how to work this out.

Just to let you know the excellent service I got from Slimdevices: the new remote control works flawlessly, out of the box! Thanks guys!

(Need I say I'd recommend this company and their product)