PDA

View Full Version : SB2 not connecting with WPA and AES

jcyr
2005-10-07, 09:04
Sorry if this has already been answered but I searched and could not find a relevant post.

I have just installed and am generally satisfied with the Squeezebox2 device. I find however that the Squeezebox2 will not communicate when I set my wireless access point to use WPA security with AES encryption. It only works when set to WPA security and TKIP encryption! I want to run my network using AES encryption. How do I configure the Squeezebox to support AES?

dSw
2005-10-07, 09:48
I'm pretty sure that the SB2 doesn't support AES (only TKIP).

seanadams
2005-10-07, 09:48
I believe this is WPA2, for which we've just recently added support. You will need to obtain a pre-release software update if you want to try it out:

http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/6.2/

Feedback appreciated.

seanadams
2005-10-07, 09:59
More info on WPA2:

http://www.wi-fi.org/membersonly/getfile.asp?f=WPA2_Q_A.pdf

Basically it is just stronger excryption than WPA.

However, WPA, (unlike the older WEP standard) is still secure. So it is not strictly necessary to upgrade from WPA to WPA2/AES. Also it is an optional part of the 802.11g spec, thus not all (or even most?) 802.11g devices support it.

Michael Amster
2005-10-07, 10:18
If we have SB1s, we have to run WEP networks, right? It would require a
separate wireless network for SB1s and SB2s to allow WPA?

-MA

seanadams wrote:

>More info on WPA2:
>
>http://www.wi-fi.org/membersonly/getfile.asp?f=WPA2_Q_A.pdf
>
>Basically it is just stronger excryption than WPA.
>
>However, WPA, (unlike the older WEP standard) is still secure. So it is
>not strictly necessary to upgrade from WPA to WPA2/AES. Also it is an
>optional part of the 802.11g spec, thus not all (or even most?) 802.11g
>devices support it.
>
>
>
>

radish
2005-10-07, 10:59
Yes. SB1 supports WEP only, and also 802.11b only for that matter. If you have the means to run two seperate WLANs I strongly recommend you do. I have one which is b&g mixed with no encryption just for the squeezeboxes, and another WPA g-only for my computers etc.

jcyr
2005-10-07, 14:43
Ok, installed beta slimserver, did the firmware update on my SB2 (firmware now at rev 24), set WPA2 when connecting to network. Still won't connect to Bellkin (Broadcom) wireless access point when configured to AES. As expected connects fine with TKIP encryption. Beta slimserver has problem with Shoutcast streams and could not connect to Radio Paradise via local slimserver, Shoutcast via SqueezeNetwork is fine.

Reverted back to slimserver 6.1.1 which downgraded SB2 back to firmware version 15 and can now connect to RadioParadise via local slimserver.

Bottom line:
- SB2 claims to support AES via WPA2 setting but will *not* connect to access point properly configured to use AES.
- Beta slimserver(2005_10_07-1) appears to have issues with Shoutcast.

seanadams
2005-10-07, 15:27
OK, well we only added this very recently and it has not had much testing yet. This is helpful feedback - we'll look into it.

jensboe
2005-10-08, 03:52
Hi,

I'm using the Fritz!Box 7050 with WPA2 -AES and it works perfect (SB2 own's still FW 23 not 24 jet).
The only thing sometimes, after couple of hours, SlimServer stops short playing but 10 seconds later it runs again (connection zu Digitaly Importet with Premium Support).

jcyt - did you check your Belkin AP has the latest firmware and supports WPA2 - AES well? A lot of AP doesn't work well with AES support...I tried a lot.

Regards,
Jens

jcyr
2005-10-08, 06:55
Yes, latest firmware on the WAP. Three laptops configured for AES connect just fine. Only the SB2 fails!

Milhouse
2005-10-09, 04:19

Or you could buy a cheap wireless client device such as a Linksys WRT54G (~$50) which will provide you with 11g/WPA connectivity for your SB1 - yep, it's a second box and not ideal but it is an option, and running a second network would most likely require that you purchase a second AP anyway so assuming you have only one SB1 it would be better to convert it to 11g (particularly as the existence of the 11b network would not be good for your 11g network).

... Still won't connect to Bellkin (Broadcom) wireless access point when configured to AES.

Argghhhh - it's a Belkin!!!! :)

What devices are in the laptops - are they Belkin or Intel or ?

jcyr
2005-10-09, 09:25
My wireless access point is a Belkin 54G unit based on the Broadcom chips. It connects just fine in WPA2/AES mode to laptops that use the Intel (Centrino), Broadcom (54G), and Atheros chipsets.

Presently I'm forced to run my SB2 in unsightly wired mode since I can't get WPA2 mode to work, and WPA with TKIP is little more than WEP with rotating keys. Sigh...

dean
2005-10-10, 20:17
What exact model are you using? The WPA2/AES support is brand new
and while it works with every access point we've tested, we haven't
tested them all.

On Oct 9, 2005, at 9:25 AM, jcyr wrote:

>
> My wireless access point is a Belkin 54G unit based on the Broadcom
> chips. It connects just fine in WPA2/AES mode to laptops that use the
> Intel (Centrino), Broadcom (54G), and Atheros chipsets.
>
> Presently I'm forced to run my SB2 in unsightly wired mode since I
> can't get WPA2 mode to work, and WPA with TKIP is little more than WEP
> with rotating keys. Sigh...
>
>
> --
> jcyr
>

jack.b
2005-10-26, 18:52
I too am having problems successfully configuring my sb2 to speak more secure forms of WPA, or WPA2 in any form. I've just updated the firmware on my sb2.

It will work (is working) on the most basic configuration:
802.11g, WPA Personal, TKIP

I'd be happy if I could at least reach WPA + AES.
I'd be really happy if I could return to WPA2 + AES/TKIP.

Slimpy: SqueezeBox2, firmware 26
Router: Linksys WRT54G

Willing to test updates...

Jack

MrC
2005-10-26, 19:02
The most recent post here reminded me that I had recently tested AES support using a Belkin Pre-N MIMO AP/router (F5D8230-4), but forgot to post my results here.

This model does not yet support WPA2, but does support WPA and AES, but it does not work with SB2. Only WPA/TKIP works.

Ron Palmer
2005-10-30, 12:25
I have a similar issue with WPA/WPA2 AES support.

I'm using a D-Link DGL-4300 router, with firmware revision 1.4 (which is the latest revision, and lists "Wi-fi WPA2 Pre-certification" as an enhancement). The wireless setup on the router is:

Allow WPA/WPA2 only
AES only
Group key update interval 3600 sec

The SB2 will connect successfully on the router power-up and will run correctly for about an hour (A little longer than group key update interval). It will then report it's connected to the network, but never connect to the slimserver. Reconnecting to the network does not help.

I know slimserver's okay (since a wired SB2 is playing from that slimserver at the same time as the wireless SB2 is saying it can't connect). I'm pretty sure the router's okay (I have a laptop that's still connected through wireless to the router after the SB2 dies, but it's only WPA/AES and not WPA2/AES). The laptop's been on since before the last router reboot, so it should have picked up the same group key as the SB2 did, with the same expiry date. Wireless signal strength is high (the router, laptop, wired SB2 and wireless SB2 are all in the same room for debugging).

A reboot of the router will bring the wireless SB2 back to life (without any user intervention like reconnecting to the network) for another hour.

My guess is that the SB2 isn't correctly picking up the new group key when the router broadcasts it. That would also explain the little-more than an hour timeframe I'm seeing (the group key expires after one hour, and then there's a delay until enough packets are sent to require a new group key).

Is there a bug for WPA2 I should be putting this into? (I didn't see one) Any other information I should be providing?

danco
2005-10-30, 13:47
Somehow I had missed this thread when posting about my problems.

I am using Mac OS Tiger with Airport Extreme base stations (two, set up as a WDS network).

I just tried upgrading from WEP to WPA2, and my SB wouldn't connect to the network.

Changing down slightly to WPA got a connection.

The Airport Extrem has three varieties of WPA permitted, namely WPA (TKIP) only, WPA2 (AES-CCMP only), and the third setting (which is what I have it set as) offers both possibilities.

I haven't as yet checked whether I can connect if I reset to WPA2 only.

Does the CCMP mean anything special?

Ron Palmer
2005-10-30, 14:43
CCMP is the integrity check portion of the AES cipher used in WPA2, much like TKIP is the integrity check for RC4 in WPA.

The fact that the Airport Extreme is only allowing those three options means it's adhering to the Wi-Fi standards. WPA/AES (or WPA with CCMP) isn't really a standard, but since it doesn't take any more computing power that WPA2, and removes one of the last concerns with WPA (there are still theoretical attacks on TKIP that haven't been proven impossible), most manufacturers are adding it with the WPA2 devices.

As a side note, my router manual says WDS can't be used with WPA. It's a D-Link, not an Apple, but it's something else to check into.

awshirley
2005-10-30, 15:02
As a side note, my router manual says WDS can't be used with WPA. It's a D-Link, not an Apple, but it's something else to check into.

You should try a Linksys WRT54GS with Sevsoft firmware. It will allow WDS with WPA. That's what I'm running in my house.

danco
2005-10-30, 15:45
CCMP is the integrity check portion of the AES cipher used in WPA2, much like TKIP is the integrity check for RC4 in WPA.

The fact that the Airport Extreme is only allowing those three options means it's adhering to the Wi-Fi standards. WPA/AES (or WPA with CCMP) isn't really a standard, but since it doesn't take any more computing power that WPA2, and removes one of the last concerns with WPA (there are still theoretical attacks on TKIP that haven't been proven impossible), most manufacturers are adding it with the WPA2 devices.

Thanks for the explanantion.

Yes, Airport Extreme does allow WPA with a WDS system. At least, the options are there, and WPA (as distinct from WPA2) does work with my SB.

Given the earlier part of this thread, I suspect something is buggy with the SB implementation of WPA2.

My latest experience trying WPA2 is that, during setup, I got a "connected to wireless network" message. But then, when it tried to get an address from my router this failedand it got the self-assigned address. Then it again claimed to be connected to the wireless network, but could not get a connection to the SlimServer.

But simple WPA seems, so far, to be working ok.

Ron Palmer
2005-10-31, 12:41
I was going to bump this once, since most of the new activity was on Sunday.

I think the SB2 isn't picking up the new group key while I'm using WPA2. It'll run fine for about one hour (my group key update interval) after a router reboot, then fail to connect anymore. A router reboot will restore full functionality.

Is there a bug already for WPA2? Should I be creating a new bug?

danco
2005-11-01, 03:15
Just a quick note to say that the problem I had (WPA Personal working fine but not WPA2) may be with Airport Extreme, not with the SB implementation of AES.

The Airport is using firmware 5.6, which is the first version that supports AES encryption. This seems to work fine in general for me, though many people have had difficulties and there have been recommendations on the Apple discussion groups to revert to the previous firmware.

One person, who seems to be knowledgable judging from his many posts, says

"Unfortunately, WPA2 on the Mac doesn't always interoperate well with non-Apple wireless networking equipment at the moment."

So that may be the problem, though that information doesn't help in solving the issue.

dSw
2005-11-01, 15:50
I too cannot get WPA and AES working.

My router (US Robotics 9106) only supports WPA (not WPA2), and when I select the AES encryption option my SB2 cannot connect using the "WPA Personal" setting. The TKIP encryption option on my router works fine.

Does this mean that the SB2 does not support WPA and AES?

MrC
2005-11-01, 16:02
I too cannot get WPA and AES working.

My router (US Robotics 9106) only supports WPA (not WPA2), and when I select the AES encryption option my SB2 cannot connect using the "WPA Personal" setting. The TKIP encryption option on my router works fine.

Does this mean that the SB2 does not support WPA and AES?
This combination does not work with many APs.

dconry
2005-11-04, 11:53
Just a quick note that I am also having problems using AES as encryption scheme with SB2/Linksys WRT54G under SlimServer 6.2. There are currently 4 options in my router setup for WPA:

1) WPA with TKIP
2) WPA with AES
3) WPA2 with TKIP/AES
4) WPA2 with AES only

Option 1 is the only one that functions with SB2. I can get all of them to work with the wireless clients around my house, except with SB2.

I've tried to use all possible combinations of settings on my AP & on SB2. Basically I've seen the same as 'dance' above, the SB2 reports connectivity, but then obtains the failsafe 169.254.x.x IP from DHCP (times out I guess) and cannot connect to Slimserver.

I'm sure this will work itself out as the software matures, will try to test some of the beta builds tonight. I also have a spare Linksys WRT54GS with stock firmware that I can test. I'm very happy to see AES support making its way into this product!

jcyr
2005-11-06, 18:08
Just a quick note that I am also having problems using AES as encryption scheme with SB2/Linksys WRT54G under SlimServer 6.2. There are currently 4 options in my router setup for WPA:

1) WPA with TKIP
2) WPA with AES
3) WPA2 with TKIP/AES
4) WPA2 with AES only

Option 1 is the only one that functions with SB2. I can get all of them to work with the wireless clients around my house, except with SB2.

Amen. Just upgraded to DLink DWL-2100AP with latest firmware and support for all four options above. Still no joy with anything other than option 1! When will we actually get AES support for SB2 that works? Slim Devices has been claiming support for months!

seanadams
2005-11-06, 18:55
Slim Devices has been claiming support for months!

Huh?

WPA2 (AES) support is brand new in 6.2. If you're counting the few weeks that this feature was in the nighty builds that's fine, but during that time we didn't get any feedback on the specific routers mentioned in this thread.

We have supported vanilla WPA for a long time, but AES is a new optional part of the spec which is not even supported by most routers at this time. We'd love to get it working for everyone. Feedback +/- is appreciated, especially if you can file a bug with your particular router make/model so that we can look into it.

jcyr
2005-11-07, 17:12
Huh?

WPA2 (AES) support is brand new in 6.2. If you're counting the few weeks that this feature was in the nighty builds that's fine, but during that time we didn't get any feedback on the specific routers mentioned in this thread.

Ok, I've mentioned two so far. A D-Link DWL-2100AP and an older Belkin FD7130. I communicated directly with tech support about this well over a month ago. They indicated that AES support could be obtained via the nightly builds. When that didn't work I was told that my WAP used WPA with the optional AES support and that the SB2 only supported true WPA2 AES. Ok, time for an upgrade anyway, I got the DWL-2100AP. Per the certified products list on www.wi-fi.org, the device is certifed for WPA2 Personal. Still no working AES! This is getting very frustrating since I won't tolerate encryption lower than AES and my wife won't tolerate ethernet cables in the living room. So I'm basically stuck with an SB2 that's not even usable as a boat anchor (too light).

We have supported vanilla WPA for a long time, but AES is a new optional part of the spec which is not even supported by most routers at this time. We'd love to get it working for everyone. Feedback +/- is appreciated, especially if you can file a bug with your particular router make/model so that we can look into it.

Optional AES support in WPA is not exactly new! All WAPs based on Broadcom chipsets started supporting it over a year ago. You know, little companies like Linksys, Belkin, D-Link. It would seem to me that since the SB2 has the hardware to support AES decryption, you would focus on AES support for all of these legacy products as well as the less deployed WPA2 devices.

seanadams
2005-11-07, 19:30
Please give us a few days on this. We are testing these routers.

danco
2005-11-08, 01:11
On 7/11/05 at 18:30 -0800, seanadams wrote
>Please give us a few days on this. We are testing these routers.
>

I hope you will also test Apple's Airport Extreme.

With the proviso that some people on the Apple discussion boards say
that its implemtation of AES isn't all that good itself.
--
Daniel Cohen

jcyr
2005-11-14, 18:00
Please give us a few days on this. We are testing these routers.

Ok, it's been more than a few days. Any news???

dean
2005-11-14, 18:13
We are waiting for our CPU and OS vendor to provide us with a new
working version of the OS to test. It's out of our hands right now,
but we are working with them every day. Sorry for the delay.

On Nov 14, 2005, at 5:00 PM, jcyr wrote:

>
> seanadams Wrote:
>> Please give us a few days on this. We are testing these routers.
>
> Ok, it's been more than a few days. Any news???
>
>
> --
> jcyr
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> jcyr's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=1761
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=16900
>
>

tikiking
2005-11-23, 08:41
Not to pile on here...

I'm having the same issue with a Buffalo Airstation G54s, if you want to test with it as well.

Thanks,

jcyr
2005-11-27, 11:39
We are waiting for our CPU and OS vendor to provide us with a new
working version of the OS to test. It's out of our hands right now,
but we are working with them every day. Sorry for the delay.

In the mean time you probably ought to update your misleading FAQ entry, that reads as follows:

What sorts of wireless security features can Squeezebox use? Can I use WEP or WPA?
Squeezebox is compatible with 40/64-bit WEP encryption, 128-bit WEP encryption, WPA Personal encryption, and WPA-2 with AES.

Ben Sandee
2005-11-27, 14:30
On 11/27/05, jcyr <jcyr.1z64wn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> dean Wrote:
> > We are waiting for our CPU and OS vendor to provide us with a new
> > working version of the OS to test. It's out of our hands right now,
> > but we are working with them every day. Sorry for the delay.
> >
>
> In the mean time you probably ought to update your misleading FAQ
> entry, that reads as follows:
>
> What sorts of wireless security features can Squeezebox use? Can I use
> WEP or WPA?
> Squeezebox is compatible with 40/64-bit WEP encryption, 128-bit WEP
> encryption, WPA Personal encryption, and WPA-2 with AES.
>

Why? Looking back at the thread all of these are supported. Granted there
may be isolated problems with some routers but this will inevitably be an
ongoing process to provide and test interoperability.

Ben

jcyr
2005-11-27, 16:14
Why? Looking back at the thread all of these are supported. Granted there
may be isolated problems with some routers but this will inevitably be an
ongoing process to provide and test interoperability.

Ben

You mischaracterize the problem as isolated. As far as I can tell from this thread and others, WPA2 with AES encryption just plain doesn't work with www.wi-fi.org WPA certified implementations.

danco
2005-11-27, 23:10
On 27/11/05 at 15:14 -0800, jcyr wrote
>You mischaracterize the problem as isolated. As far as I can tell from
>this thread and others, WPA2 with AES encryption just plain doesn't
>work with www.wi-fi.org WPA certified implementations.

But it is known that some certified wifi units don't themselves work
that well with AES at present. This has been said about the one I
use, the Apple Airport Extreme, although it is fine with WPA Personal.
--
Daniel Cohen

jcyr
2005-11-28, 15:43
But it is known that some certified wifi units don't themselves work
that well with AES at present. This has been said about the one I
use, the Apple Airport Extreme, although it is fine with WPA Personal.
--
Daniel Cohen

We are talking about www.wi-fi.org WPA2 personal certified implementations. The Apple Airport Extreme is not listed as certified.

To date I have not heard from a single contributor to this forum claiming successful communication using WPA2 with AES encryption, and many who have had no success at all, which is my basis for stating that the FAQ makes false claims.

JJZolx
2005-11-28, 15:53
Amen. Just upgraded to DLink DWL-2100AP with latest firmware and support for all four options above. Still no joy with anything other than option 1! When will we actually get AES support for SB2 that works? Slim Devices has been claiming support for months!
Which firmware are you running on the D-Link DWL-2100AP that gives you WPA2? I'm running the latest available from the D-Link support site - 2.00 and only have the option of WPA-PSK and WPA-EAP.

I do have the option of enabling AES with WPA-PSK, though. Tried it yesterday, but my SB2 couldn't connect and I had to fall back to TKIP.

BTW, is the SB supposed to figure this out automatically? I went through the network setup again yesterday after generating a new 63 character WPA key and there's no mention of either TKIP or AES anywhere within the network settings.

MrC
2005-11-28, 19:44
BTW, is the SB supposed to figure this out automatically? I went through the network setup again yesterday after generating a new 63 character WPA key and there's no mention of either TKIP or AES anywhere within the network settings.
WPA uses TKIP, but some vendors supported the optional AES for WPA. WPA2 requires AES. So, its TKIP for WPA in SB2, and AES in WPA2.

By the way, there's an interesting article on Tom's Hardware that might be useful to some of the folks here, esp. those having trouble with their extreme-super-dooper-max-speed APs:

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article149-page1.php

808htfan
2005-11-28, 20:46
WPA uses TKIP, but some vendors supported the optional AES for WPA. WPA2 requires AES. So, its TKIP for WPA in SB2, and AES in WPA2.

To be clear, this means WPA-PSK AES is a no go for the SB2? The only way to get AES is with WPA2?

Thanks!

Mark Paquette
2005-12-09, 08:19
Is there any new news to report on getting WPA2 with AES working? I recently purchased an SB3 and had no luck getting WPA2+AES working. SB3 sees my wireless network, but it cannot receive an IP address. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G.

dconry
2005-12-09, 13:55
This problem now has several associated bugs in the system. The link below seems closest to your (and my) situation. Looks like a firmware fix is needed, and is in the works.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2514

jcyr
2006-03-07, 20:27
I first reported this problem in october 2005. Here we are in March 2006 and it's still not fixed. What does that tell you about Slim's technical competence?

Can you tell I regret first having purchased the SB2, then foolishly stuck with it expecting a fix in my lifetime?

JJZolx
2006-03-07, 21:42
I first reported this problem in october 2005. Here we are in March 2006 and it's still not fixed. What does that tell you about Slim's technical competence?

Can you tell I regret first having purchased the SB2, then foolishly stuck with it expecting a fix in my lifetime?
See the post bellow from a guy looking to buy an SB2. Maybe you can work something out.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=21849

jph
2006-03-09, 15:31
jcyr wrote:
> I first reported this problem in october 2005. Here we are in March 2006
> and it's still not fixed. What does that tell you about Slim's technical
> competence?
>

It's probably just rather low on their priority queue. I'd imagine they
aim to fix the problems without reasonable workarounds first.

WPA/TKIP is a reasonably secure and practical option for the VAST
majority of their customers. While it's true that WPA may have been a
design compromise, it's a rather good one. And if tools do emerge that
enable Joe Sixpack to hack WPA, you can bet Slim will place more
emphasis on a timely fix.

I'm genuinely curious, why are you chomping so hard for AES? Is your
Squeezebox on a business essential network? If so, it might be a good
idea to move it to a dedicated wireless segment.

For what it's worth, Slim is not notably behind the curve with 802.11i.
The vast majority of SOHO WLANs are still using WEP. In due time, I'm
sure they will have it working.

jcyr
2006-03-30, 18:04
I'm genuinely curious, why are you chomping so hard for AES?

Simple. I bought the SB2 instead of the Roku based on their advertized support of WPA2/AES. I feel the product was, and continues to be, misrepresented.

dSw
2006-03-31, 00:45
Simple. I bought the SB2 instead of the Roku based on their advertized support of WPA2/AES. I feel the product was, and continues to be, misrepresented.

If it was a choice between the Roku and the SB2 then you made the right one - for numerous reasons that can be found throughout these forums.

OK, so WPA2/AES isn't working but Slim are aware of the issue and a fix is in the pipeline. Relax and move on.

In the meantime you can use WPA, which provides ample protection for most people. If your network is so mission critical that even WPA doesn't cut it then just use Cat5.

geoffb
2006-03-31, 02:49
> jph Wrote:
> > I'm genuinely curious, why are you chomping so hard for AES?
jcyr wrote:
> Simple. I bought the SB2 instead of the Roku based on their advertized
> support of WPA2/AES. I feel the product was, and continues to be,
> misrepresented.

So do you actually have a need for AES over plain old WPA, or is it
just the principle? If it's the principle, why don't you consider
your principle stated, and move on?
The choice is not hard: either sell the SB (there's plenty of market
for it), or use WPA while you wait for SD to get the AES issues worked
out for your router.
Somoene asked me a long time ago when I was stuck on a similar
principle issue, "would you rather be right, or happy?"

Cheers
Geoff

Jacob Potter
2006-03-31, 05:31
On 3/30/06, jcyr <jcyr.25ieqb1143767101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> Simple. I bought the SB2 instead of the Roku based on their advertized
> support of WPA2/AES. I feel the product was, and continues to be,
> misrepresented.

The Roku only supports 802.11b and WEP - no WPA, let alone WPA2...

- Jacob

jcyr
2006-04-03, 17:47
>Somoene asked me a long time ago when I was stuck on a similar
principle issue, "would you rather be right, or happy?"

What would make me happy is for SD to remove their false claim of WPA/AES support from their product description.

geoffb
2006-04-04, 07:26
On 4/3/06, jcyr <jcyr.25pspb1144111801 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> geoffb Wrote:
> > >Somoene asked me a long time ago when I was stuck on a similar
> > principle issue, "would you rather be right, or happy?"
>
> What would make me happy is for SD to remove their false claim of
> WPA/AES support from their product description.

Nope, that would make you right :)
Cheers
Geoff

abdomen
2006-04-04, 07:49
What would make me happy is for SD to remove their false claim of WPA/AES support from their product description.
jcyr,

You might be encouraged to see the recent activity on the bug mentioned a few posts up. It has been assigned to the newly hired Richard Titmuss:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_activity.cgi?id=2514

Also, the following list (which as yet has few updates since the very well-received firmware updates 35 and 36), shows that WPA-AES and WPA2-AES are supported on at least one router model, which suggests to me that progress is being made on AES.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?RouterStatus

I realize how frustrating a wait like this can be, but Slim Devices recently hired world class QA manager (Christopher Owens) and has in other ways made very apparent their seriousness about supporting as many wireless configurations as possible as quickly as possible. Although it has taken some time, it seems to me that all along their efforts have been deliberate and entirely transparent.

abdomen
2006-04-06, 06:19
jcyr-

An update:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=22765

I am please to say that firmware 37 is now available in the latest nightly builds for slimserver 6.2.2 and 6.5.

This version fixes a problem with DHCP when using wireless WPA encryption where a strange (169.254...) address was allocated. It also includes fixes for WPA and WPA2 connections on several routers.

Please note that some WPA compatibility issues remain. A small number of people are reporting stuttering when using firmware > 28. This is also not fixed in this release, but it is now at the top of my list!

Regards,
Richard

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-06, 08:30
This new firmware has not only made WPA2 work perfectly with my Linksys WRT54G, but it also made my old SMC2804WBRP-G router work with the SB2/3.

So ironically, although I can go back to the SMC, I may stick with the Linksys as the SMC will probably never support WPA2.

tejas gordo
2006-04-06, 17:49
As mentioned in another thread, the 4/6/06 build of SlimServer 6.2.2 with firmware v37 also enabled me to use my SB3 with WPA2-AES security on my Linksys WRT54Gv5 router with the Linksys v1.00.6 firmware. Sweet.