PDA

View Full Version : NAS storage and SB2

MKS
2005-10-06, 16:11
Hi.

I don't yet have an SB2, but I am interested and I'm trying to get my head round one or two things first.

My (limited) understanding is that you need to have your computer running Slimserver to serve MP3s to the SB2 over the network. BUT if you had a NAS (network HDD) like the Lacie Mini NAS HDD then could *this* serve MP3s to the SB2 without the need for the computer to be switched on?

This may not be possible at all, but I'd welcome any input...
Mike

MrC
2005-10-06, 16:16
You need slimserver to be running somewhere. Where it runs is entirely up to you. If your NAS system can support running slimeserver, then that would work fine. Otherwise, you'd need to run slimserver on some other computer.

MKS
2005-10-06, 16:19
Thanks for the speedy input... It was a nice idea while it lasted. :D

MrC
2005-10-06, 16:27
You're welcome.

The LaCie is running Linux, but it might prove to have too little RAM to run additional services such as slimserver.

Thomas Hitchcock
2005-10-06, 21:42
The ReadyNAS X6 Network drive can run Slimserver and stream media files to your SB2 without having a computer running. Check it out at infrant.com - I own one and it is highly recommended! Best computer investment I have made in years.

dropbear
2005-10-07, 01:07
the two most popular (vocal?) NAS choices that you see on the forums are the Buffalo Linkstation (http://www.linkstationwiki.org )and the Linksys NSLU2 (http://www.nslu2-linux.org). There are active developer groups working on both boxes that have detailed how to get Slimserver installed and running on both boxes.

I am running Buffalo's KuroBox HG, which is the same as the Linkstation HG except that I had to provide my own hard drive. The good thing about the Kuro and the Linkstation HG is the 128mb of memory. with slimserver running 12000 music files (and a web server and other bits) I still have about 8mb of free RAM.

Other people have the NSLU2 running slimserver, but it has a lot less RAM and a slower processor - but it is very cheap! Search the forums for NAS linkstation and NSLU2 and you will find many conversations about these and other NAS solutions.

Pete

rme
2005-10-16, 09:02
The ReadyNAS X6 Network drive can run Slimserver and stream media files to your SB2 without having a computer running. Check it out at infrant.com - I own one and it is highly recommended! Best computer investment I have made in years.

Are you able to install beta (6.2...) versions of slimserver on ReadyNAS and Linkstation or does it only support the 6.1 official version?

Kenr
2005-10-16, 13:28
Are you able to install beta (6.2...) versions of slimserver on ReadyNAS and Linkstation or does it only support the 6.1 official version?
I believe it is running 6.1. The OS is closed so you can't load anything on the NAS. Infrant has a plug-in for slimserver that's all you get. Also it doesn't do any transcoding. I had to convert all of my files to flac. It's not a big problem I used dbPoweramp for the conversion. Now my music is stored in WMA lossess, FLAC and acc. Its not a big deal I have over a terabyte of storage

rme
2005-10-16, 18:43
Also it doesn't do any transcoding. I had to convert all of my files to flac.
If it doesn't transcode, then is it able to pass thru internet radio in mp3?