PDA

View Full Version : Wireless troubles with new SB2



scbash
2005-10-05, 18:02
Hi everyone. I had hoped my first post would be in praise of a wonderful working product, but unfortunately, I need some help...

I received my SB2 yesterday, and finally got a chance to start setting it up tonight. Now let me see if I can remember all the events. I started out with my Linksys WRT54G wireless router with an SSID that does have a space in it, using 128 bit WEP encryption. I added the SB2's MAC address to the MAC address filter.

I then began setup on the SB2, giving it the SSID, and WEP password. It failed to connect to the router. I disabled the MAC filter, still no connection. I disabled WEP, no connection. I turned both of those back on. I read through several forum posts relating to various wireless problems, but none seemed to fit my situation. On a whim, I turned SSID broadcast on, and suddenly the SB2 connected. Turn SSID off, SB2 disconnects.

I then found the post saying spaces in SSIDs caused problems, so I removed the spaces in my SSID. Still only worked with broadcast on, and not when broadcast off. I upgraded my routers firmware, and the SB2 firmware. I then downloaded the nightly build for Slimserver, and updated the SB2 firmware again, still no change in the behavior. I also changed my SSID to something completely stupid (like "qwerty" or something similar), and that didn't help.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few tests I performed... Oh, when the SB2 does connect, the wireless strength is over 90% (usually in the 95-97% range), so I don't think it is a flaky wireless signal -- watching the signal strength as I change the broadcast setting on the router, I can watch it go from 90+% to zero. I confirmed the firmware is now version 23, and the MAC address matches what I have in the filter.

I'm very much out of ideas at this point, and will appreciate any hints people can give. Thanks everyone, and I hope to be back soon with praise for this outstanding product!

Stephen

scbash
2005-10-05, 18:54
So after giving up for the evening, I was reading when I saw some scrolling text out of the corner of my eye... Sometime in the previous hour, the SB2 decided it could connect to the network and started working! The wireless signal strength is lower (now in the 80-90% range), but otherwise the network is back to its original configuration (no SSID broadcast, spaces in SSID, and 128 bit WEP encryption). If anyone has any clue what is going on, I'd love to hear an explanation.

In any case, it's working! Sounds great, and I look forward to exploring all the features :)

Stephen