PDA

View Full Version : Music Server and Squeezebox

dironfist
2005-10-03, 10:20
Hi

I want to build a music server to store my music collection and distribute round the house via a squeezebox. Can anyone give me any advice on the best way of doing this and what to use

DrNic
2005-10-03, 10:51
Hi

I want to build a music server to store my music collection and distribute round the house via a squeezebox. Can anyone give me any advice on the best way of doing this and what to use

Welcome

This is a kind of large area to cover!
Ask yourself these questions:
1) Do I already own a computer?
2) What platform will I run it on (Windows flavours, Un/Linux, Mac)
3) Do I have a network already setup in the house (wired/wireless)?
4) What format do I want my music in (ideal is FLAC, though you might not want the larger files on your "PC" and may decide that you need/want MP3/AAC etc because of your iPod, other portable player, bad ears?!

With the answers to the basic questions above, you can move on to decide your next steps.

You will need more than one Squeezebox for whole house audio (if you want independent playability) or can just use one and have an audio distribution setup instead (more hassle).

As for server specs - well just browse the forum and you will see that people are running mega sized libraries from a wind up casio watch (sarcasm). You don't really need a monster PC to run Slimserver (though I'm sure there are those who will beg to differ) - but a reasonable suggestion (PC world) is a P4 of some flavour (don't waste the cash on dual core/ super fast clockspeeds - if its just for a music server), or buy a second hand P3 - they can still cut the mustard for music serving.
Hard drives - you need big ones for FLAC, smaller for MP3. Speed is not that important but most are quick these days.
RAM *is* important IMHO, the more the better - try a base of 1gig.

Hope that helps you to start off.

Nic

ceejay
2005-10-03, 10:53
... and http://www.slimdevices.com/su_faq.html is a good place to start looking.

Try also hydrogenaudio.org for lots of discussion about ripping formats, tools etc.

Ceejay