PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question.. Do I need a Stereo System?

ddelmonte
2005-10-01, 20:20
Or can I use decent powered speakers.

MrC
2005-10-01, 22:57
Either. Choose the one that suits your budget and ears.

street_samurai
2005-10-03, 14:03
Or can I use decent powered speakers.

You can get -very- good sound from powered speakers because their amplifier is typically matched with the speakers.

This is why many studio speakers are powered because they are made to be as flat as possible.

Opinions differ on whether you really want to listen to a flat signal but my Tannoy Active speakers sounds terrific with the SB.

The key is to ensure that your powered speakers are good. I'd venture an estimation that 95% of (specifically made for) computer powered speakers are -not- great from a sound quality perspective.

ss.

bjackson
2005-10-06, 07:20
Or you could buy some headphones or earbuds.

Or active studio monitors.

I am sure that if you tell us your budget and listening habits (i.e. alone, with other people, genres, etc) that you will get some great specific recommendations.

max.spicer
2005-10-06, 08:43
Oh not again! We really should have a wiki detailing the forums recommendations for small, powered speakers.

Max

Or you could buy some headphones or earbuds.

Or active studio monitors.

I am sure that if you tell us your budget and listening habits (i.e. alone, with other people, genres, etc) that you will get some great specific recommendations.

kdf
2005-10-06, 09:05
On 6-Oct-05, at 8:43 AM, max.spicer wrote:

>
> Oh not again! We really should have a wiki detailing the forums
> recommendations for small, powered speakers.
>
if people can't be bothered to use the search feature on the top of the
forum page, they are just as unlikely to go digging through the wiki.
Once they ask, you'll still get folks who answer but now you'll get the
addition of other folks who tell everyone to go to the wiki. at least
that's what the tea leaves are saying this morning :)

to me, this is the exact reason for a beginners forum.
-k

mkosma
2005-10-06, 11:04
Just thought I'd share about an unbelievable deal that may be of interest to you or others. I decided to upgrade my computer speakers recently since I find that's where I'm listening to my music most often. I already owned some Swans home theater speakers, so had heard of their self-powered M200 multimedia speakers. Reviewed at, e.g., http://www.hometheatertalk.com/Reviews/Swans_M-200/swans_m-200.html among other places.

Anyway, I went to http://www.theaudioinsider.com and discovered that these have been marked way down, because there's a new line coming sometime soon. I just ordered a pair on an "open box" special for $125 - not sure if that deal is still available, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

monty