PDA

View Full Version : why won't aac files stream across internet

mr_magicfingers
2005-10-01, 04:41
Hi all,

just installed slimserver and got it running. I can access it via the web interface using dyndns as I want to be able to do this remotely.

I can play any mp3 file with no problem, but the files that are encoded aac just won't play, it simply stops and the player says 'stopped'.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

J.

radish
2005-10-01, 09:09
The server will have to transcode aac files to stream them. It will need quicktime to do that. If you're streaming to a non-slimdevices player (like winamp) it can only stream as MP3, so you'll need LAME installed as well. If you're using a squeezebox or softsqueeze at the other end you can stream as FLAC, PCM or MP3.

mr_magicfingers
2005-10-01, 17:28
OK, thanks,

I've just installed the lame framework into the /library/frameworks folder on my server. Is there anything else I have to do? I couldn't find much information on this with a search.

Many thanks,

J.

radish
2005-10-02, 10:26
Sounds like you're using a mac? In which case I'll have to pass...I've never played with this stuff on a mac. I'm sure someone else can jump in with tips.

mr_magicfingers
2005-10-03, 06:30
Yep, using a Mac. If anyone can suggest how to get the conversion going properly I'd appreciate it.

thanks,

J.

mr_magicfingers
2005-10-03, 06:53
I've just tried installing the itunes lame plugin, and that doesn't seem to make a difference either. When I check the box for the aac - mp3 conversion in server settings I still get the error

ile Format Conversions 11:

Setting was changed.

Required binary was not found: [mov123] $FILE$ | [lame] --resample 44100 --silent -q $QUALITY$ -b $BITRATE$ -r - -

How do I get this installed correctly.

cheers,

J.

mr_magicfingers
2005-10-03, 07:10
Never mind, had moved the wrong file into the folder. Working now, although it's very slow to buffer across a network.

Thanks,

J.