X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mr_magicfingers
    • Oct 2005

why won't aac files stream across internet

Hi all,

just installed slimserver and got it running. I can access it via the web interface using dyndns as I want to be able to do this remotely.

I can play any mp3 file with no problem, but the files that are encoded aac just won't play, it simply stops and the player says 'stopped'.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

J.
  • radish
    • Apr 2005

The server will have to transcode aac files to stream them. It will need quicktime to do that. If you're streaming to a non-slimdevices player (like winamp) it can only stream as MP3, so you'll need LAME installed as well. If you're using a squeezebox or softsqueeze at the other end you can stream as FLAC, PCM or MP3.
    http://www.last.fm/user/polymeric

Comment

• mr_magicfingers
      • Oct 2005

OK, thanks,

I've just installed the lame framework into the /library/frameworks folder on my server. Is there anything else I have to do? I couldn't find much information on this with a search.

Many thanks,

J.

Comment

• radish
        • Apr 2005

Sounds like you're using a mac? In which case I'll have to pass...I've never played with this stuff on a mac. I'm sure someone else can jump in with tips.
        http://www.last.fm/user/polymeric

Comment

• mr_magicfingers
          • Oct 2005

Yep, using a Mac. If anyone can suggest how to get the conversion going properly I'd appreciate it.

thanks,

J.

Comment

• mr_magicfingers
            • Oct 2005

I've just tried installing the itunes lame plugin, and that doesn't seem to make a difference either. When I check the box for the aac - mp3 conversion in server settings I still get the error

ile Format Conversions 11:

Setting was changed.

Required binary was not found: [mov123] $FILE$ | [lame] --resample 44100 --silent -q $QUALITY$ -b $BITRATE$ -r - -

How do I get this installed correctly.

cheers,

J.

Comment

• mr_magicfingers
              • Oct 2005

Never mind, had moved the wrong file into the folder. Working now, although it's very slow to buffer across a network.

Thanks,

J.

Comment

Working...