PDA

View Full Version : iTunes - 900 missing tunes

tubesguy
2005-09-29, 16:53
Hi all -

I've had the SB2 for a few days, and it's rekindled my interest in burning my remaining CDs to iTunes, on a PC.

I burned another 10 or so tonight, and now have about 3500 songs in iTunes. I wanted to play some of the newly-burned songs while I was burning more, but couldn't get slimserver or the SB2 to display the new songs. In fact, slimserver indicates that I have only 2650 songs in the library, at least 750 fewer than I had in iTunes when I first loaded the new software and installed the hardware. I've tried to refresh the server, restarted the computer, turned the external drive off and on, basically all of the standard "this thing's not working" tricks, but no go.

(One additional bit of info: I had previously bought an SB1, and had downloaded slimserver and tried to get the SB1 up and running, but that attempt was a no-go, due to the connection dropping out. I will say that it's possible that I had about 2650 songs in iTunes at that time, but I have no idea if that is the case. At any rate, I did delete the earlier version of slimserver before downloading the latest version.)

Any help or suggestions on what to try next would be much appreciated. TIA - Pat

ceejay
2005-09-30, 00:06
It would be helpful to know exactly which slimserver version you are using (scroll to the bottom of the server settings page on the web interface).

As a very first step - have you cleared the cache when asking slimserver to rescan the library?

- slimserver settings / rescan music library / tick the "clear lbrary before rescan" box

Ceejay.

tubesguy
2005-09-30, 05:26
Thanks for the response, Ceejay -

I'm using 6.1.1, the latest version available for download off of Slim's main web page.

Perhaps my problems go deeper than I had thought: I can't find your suggested fixes at all. Under "Settings" I have "Server settings" and "Player settings". I can't find a "rescan" command at all, under server settings, and player settings are not accessible to me right now, since I (apparently foolishly) shut down the computer over night and the SB2 won't connect to slimserver now. Aargh!

Thanks again for the suggestions, I'll keep trying - Pat

ceejay
2005-09-30, 08:25
Ahhh... were you by any chance looking for options in the menus on the SB2 itself, using the remote?

I was referring to the web interface, which is where you need to go to do that sort of thing (there is a plugin, I think, for doing this from the SB2 but one step at a time...)

Ceejay

kevin
2005-09-30, 11:03
Hi all -

I've had the SB2 for a few days, and it's rekindled my interest in burning my remaining CDs to iTunes, on a PC.

I burned another 10 or so tonight, and now have about 3500 songs in iTunes. I wanted to play some of the newly-burned songs while I was burning more, but couldn't get slimserver or the SB2 to display the new songs. In fact, slimserver indicates that I have only 2650 songs in the library, at least 750 fewer than I had in iTunes when I first loaded the new software and installed the hardware. I've tried to refresh the server, restarted the computer, turned the external drive off and on, basically all of the standard "this thing's not working" tricks, but no go.

(One additional bit of info: I had previously bought an SB1, and had downloaded slimserver and tried to get the SB1 up and running, but that attempt was a no-go, due to the connection dropping out. I will say that it's possible that I had about 2650 songs in iTunes at that time, but I have no idea if that is the case. At any rate, I did delete the earlier version of slimserver before downloading the latest version.)

Any help or suggestions on what to try next would be much appreciated. TIA - Pat

Is your music in iTunes in the default location, or has it been moved?

You could try stopping the server and removing the database and preference files (slimserversql.db and slimserver.pref), restarting, letting it rescan and see what gets picked up. When you do this you should also make sure that iTunes is closed.

Are any of these songs downloaded from the iTunes Music Store, as well?

tubesguy
2005-09-30, 11:20
Thanks guys -

Yes, Ceejay, I was looking at the web interface, not the player. When it detects the player (which it hadn't at the time I posted this morning from home) it has server settings and player settings. I couldn't find what you had mentioned in server settings. Perhaps I was looking in the wrong area?

Kevin - I'm sure that the library is still in its original location, and I realize now that when I installed slimserver this time (after, as I indcated, uninstalling the earlier version) I had a iTunes library of approximately 3500 songs, none of which had been downloaded, all the result of CD burns. I do get an indication, however, of only 2650 or so songs now, on the slimserver web interface. I'll try your suggestions when I get home, assuming, of course, that I can figure out how to do so. :-)

Thanks again - Pat

ceejay
2005-09-30, 13:55
Thanks guys -

Yes, Ceejay, I was looking at the web interface, not the player. When it detects the player (which it hadn't at the time I posted this morning from home) it has server settings and player settings. I couldn't find what you had mentioned in server settings. Perhaps I was looking in the wrong area?

Well, I don't have exactly the same version of server as you, and these things do tend to move around a bit, but....

From the web interface, select "server settings". Scroll down the left hand panel, if necessary - you should find a heading "Rescan Music Library"

Ceejay.

tubesguy
2005-09-30, 17:45
Ceejay -

Found rescan, but that did nothing. Still showing 2643 songs out of the 3500+ in iTunes. Thanks, though - Pat

Kevin -

As I suspected, after looking at the web interface for slimserver, I have no idea how to implement your suggestions. Could you tell me how to accomplish them? I don't actually even understand the concept of turning the server "off" or where to begin looking for the files that you mention. TIA - Pat

Postscript - Now, a few hours later, with a few clever mouse clicks, I'm down to 0 songs, 0 albums, by 0 artists. Should this be this difficult?

Post-postscript - Started over, uninstalled and downloaded slimserver. Now have all 3539 songs.