Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • x94blair3
    • Sep 2005

Amp? solution for my squeezebox2

I'm planning to move my squeezebox to the bedroom (with plans to run my new HTPC as it's own player within my entertainment center). I was looking for some sort of inexpensive solution and stumbled across this:

I was planning to pair this with a couple of bookshelf speakers...possibly Axiom Audio M2i's. Does this seem like a good solution? What are others doing? Is there something that'll offer as good or better quality in this same price range.

at $280 for a pair of M2i's + $30 for a T-amp it's a $300 solution...

Nick
  • mac
    • Jul 2005

The SI amp has a very loyal following. Check the www.diyAudio.com class-d forum for more info.
    Squeezebox 3 -> DacMagic (LM4562 modified) -> DIY tri-amplified dipoles
    Teres Turntable -> ET2 -> DV 20XL -> Jensen transformers -> Hagerman Cornet

Comment

• jan van mourik

Amp? solution for my squeezebox2

That's what I have in my bedroom, the t-amp driving a pair of in-wall B&Ws.
      Scroll halfway down this page <http://janvanmourik.blogspot.com/> and you
      can see it..
      The t-amp sounds pretty good. The low end lacks a bit of course, but
      mid/high sounds pretty good. I played a bit with it driving my Mission
      speakers (753 i think, floorstanders), and was pleasantly surprised
      listening to Andrea Bocelli, his voice sounded impressive...
      When have some time i'm going to try my B&Ws with my old Carver cube, to get
      a feel for the difference. And i still want to make some modifications to my
      t-amp..
      Some links:

jan

Comment

• x94blair3
        • Sep 2005

Thanks for the links. I can't imagine modding one of these myself, but then again I can't imagine paying $265 for what was once a $30 piece of electronics. Not that it wouldn't be better, it obviously would.

Not to over simplify, but it appears the electronics of this box is what makes it sound so good, but the rest is junk? Anyone use the same electronics and bundle it in a $100-200 range? If not, perhaps that pre-modded option is worth considering.

Thanks!

Nick

Comment

• Yannzola
          • Jun 2005

Originally posted by x94blair3
          Anyone use the same electronics and bundle it in a $100-200 range? If not, perhaps that pre-modded option is worth considering.
          That's what Vinnie does, here: http://www.redwineaudio.com/
          last.fm >> Yannzola

Comment

• tim
            • Jul 2005

Try googling audio monitors. I have a pair of Edirol MA-10D's that sound pretty good. They have a built-in amp. Edirol makes studio recording equipment and has a whole line of powered monitor speakers. http://www.edirol.com/products/speakers.html. Swan is another brand to look into. http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=122 (I have no idea what these cost....

Comment

• Pat Farrell
              • Apr 2005

Re: Amp? solution for my squeezebox2

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 11:00 -0700, x94blair3 wrote:
              > Thanks for the links. I can't imagine modding one of these myself, but
              > then again I can't imagine paying $265 for what was once a $30 piece of
              > electronics. Not that it wouldn't be better, it obviously would.

Hey, this is an audiophiles list. Most audiophiles love spending insane
              amounts of money to get tiny improvements.

I've seen the T-AMP selling for $19,99. For that price, you can just buy
              it and see if you like it. But no one can expect audiophile quality
              for twenty bucks.

Its not clear to me why you'd want an amp and speaker setup. Why not
              get some good powered speakers? Your local Guitar Center will have
              at least a half dozen you can compare. I think the Mackie 824 monitors
              sound very good. They are designed for studios, and so are not very
              beautiful to look at, but they sound good. Not at all warm, so it
              depends on what you want.

--
              Pat

Pat
              http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimse...msoftware.html

Comment

• x94blair3
                • Sep 2005

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to insinuate there would be anything wrong with spending crazy amounts of cash :-)

I can see how it came out wrong.

Anyway, I'll explore the other options as well. I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Thanks,

Nick

Comment

• CardinalFang
                  • Jul 2005

Thiis is a pretty cool low wattage valve amp - it sounds pretty OK too as far as I can tell from the clips.

I'm a sucker for the glow :-)
                  Last edited by CardinalFang; 2005-10-03, 09:51.

Comment

Working...