PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

dfk
2005-09-29, 11:44
Hello

I am new to this forum but have spent a while looking at the informative and friendly posts which helped me make my mind up and purchase what is a great product!

I have a question and appreciate they it may have well been asked before.

Should everything that is available when connected to SlimServer (except for local browsing of media) be available when connected to the SqueezeNetwork? Otherwise you can't use great features such as the Podcaster plugin unless your PC is turned on and SlimServer is running which seems a bit odd?

The distinction between SlimServer and SqueezeNetwork is a bit blured. Is the SlimServer aimed at owners who may not have an internet connection? For example the reason why there are two alarm clocks on offer?

Thanks

ceejay
2005-09-29, 11:52
The distinction between SlimServer and SqueezeNetwork is a bit blured. Is the SlimServer aimed at owners who may not have an internet connection? For example the reason why there are two alarm clocks on offer?

Welcome!

I guess the distinction is blurred, IF your main application is listening to internet radio etc.

Much of the discussion here is around playback of locally stored music, so Slimserver gets most of the airtime. For many users, the internet radio is a useful bonus on top of the basic player cabaility. Others may see it the other way round!

SqueezeNetwork is a very recent innovation which addresses the obvious request - "if I'm listening to internet radio, why would I want my PC turned on?". So SqueezeNetwork is basically a Slimserver made available on the internet.

As its new, the functionality is still somewhat catching up, but you might want to note there is a sub-forum dedicated to SqueezeNetwork issues.

Once again, welcome!

Ceejay

dfk
2005-09-29, 12:10
Welcome!

I guess the distinction is blurred, IF your main application is listening to internet radio etc.
Ceejay

Thanks Ceejay for the welcome and a great answer! I think the functionality would be better (less confusing) if everything internet based, was on the SlimNetwork only :-) Although it is fun finding new menus as I learn how to use my SB2. Is there a menu tree online anywhere?

dfk

mherger
2005-09-29, 12:35
> Thanks Ceejay for the welcome and a great answer! I think the
> functionality would be better (less confusing) if everything internet
> based, was on the SlimNetwork only :-)

This again is a question of personal preference. I'm mainly listening to
my own music collection, but like online radio for background music and as
an alarm clock. If this was only available from the SqueezeNetwork I'd
have to change mode every time. And the local slimserver offers nice stuff
like radio selection throught the web interface.

> Although it is fun finding new
> menus as I learn how to use my SB2. Is there a menu tree online
> anywhere?

Go to the server's web interface, then "Player settings/Menu": there you
can define what option you'll have in which place.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)