PDA

View Full Version : Radio streams on marginal DSL link

TimHunt
2005-09-29, 11:42
This has been driving me (and my ISP crazy) but I haven't been able to find anyting on this through Google, so I'm hoping somebody on this list has some suggestions.

I'm on the edge for my DSL configuration (1500/384), so as the speed on the line goes up, the error rate goes up. I'm running pings every 5 secs, and about 1% don't come back.

For "normal" use, this error rate is not a problem, and speed tests show expected results.

However, for MP3 radio streams, this error rate appears to be unacceptable - If the stream starts, it'll run for 10-15 minutes, and then go silent. It's worth noting that the SqueezeBox still thinks it's playing the stream because the playing time continues incrementing. Once a stream goes silent, it can manually be restarted, and the audio will come back.

If the speed on the DSL link is reduced so the error rate goes down, the problem almost goes away completely.

What makes this particularly irritating is that I used to have much better reliability, to the point that I replaced those old-fashioned devices that picked up signals from the air with SqueezeBoxes.

Ms configuration is SlimServer 6.1.1 on Centos4 (RHEL4), with SqueezeBox 1's.

All thoughts appreciated.

Ben Sandee
2005-09-29, 11:51
On 9/29/05, TimHunt <TimHunt.1w4vsz (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> If the speed on the DSL link is reduced so the error rate goes down,
> the problem almost goes away completely.
>
> What makes this particularly irritating is that I used to have much
> better reliability, to the point that I replaced those old-fashioned
> devices that picked up signals from the air with SqueezeBoxes.

Tim,
Do you have the same issues with running a PC-based player (e.g. Winamp or
Windows Media Player) or do these players sucessfully "renegotiate" after a
slight blip in the connection (albeit with an audible pause)?
You might try messing with the Server Settings -> Network -> Radio Station
Timeout setting. I don't know if this only applies during initial connection
to the station or of this parameter also determines how long slimserver will
attempt to reconnect/wait for the connection to come back if a network blip
occurs.
Ben