PDA

View Full Version : Rescanning message in web

MrC
2005-09-28, 08:56
I rescanned my library and noticed that on the main server settings page, the rescanning message:

"The server is now rescanning your Music Library"

does not change/disappear once the rescan has completed. Is this a known issue? If not, I'll file a bug report.

oreillymj
2005-09-28, 12:26
This is isn't a bug. This is an inherent flaw in all web apps.
The server may complete a scan, but it cannot "push" this information out to clients.

The web browser/server architecture relies on client requests and server responses. Without you initiating a request to refesh the page, you will not get a status update on the progress of a re-scan.

There are some fancy ways around this limitation, but they don't scale very well.

A simple way to implement this would be to have the rescan status in an IFRAME which has a META refresh tag to refresh the frame every minute. The META tag is only added to the frame html during rescanning. When the rescan is complete, the tag is no longer needed and isn't written to the frame html.

radish
2005-09-28, 14:08
I thought the whole page refreshed every minute or so? I'm certainly sure it used to.

mherger
2005-09-28, 14:18
> I thought the whole page refreshed every minute or so? I'm certainly
> sure it used to.

It's only the status pane (right side) in most skins (eg. Default,
Fishbone). And Handheld does refresh _only_ if on the status page.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

MrC
2005-09-28, 14:19
It used to. and if it still does, it certainly can obtain the status of the scan.

kdf
2005-09-28, 15:04
Quoting radish <radish.1w37ur (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> I thought the whole page refreshed every minute or so? I'm certainly
> sure it used to.

only the default skin will refresh the home page (right side) when a scan
warning is being shown. Even at that, it is only every 5 minutes.
-k

Craig
2005-09-28, 16:37
I'm seeing this too,
the scanning message in the left pane doesn't clear after a scan whether you refresh the page or not.

I'm using the Fishbone skin on the latest windows 6.2 build but have been seeing this for a few days now.

Craig