PDA

View Full Version : Podcast basics?

Justme
2005-09-28, 06:10
Sorry about all this, but I am a bit confused about podcasting on the Squeezebox.

I thought Podcasts were a way to force download a file (usually mp3) onto the local computer or device and then one can play it offline.

In this way, I would have presumed that when I set a few podcasts in the slimserver (which did play ok) they would be stored somewhere on my computers Harddrive, so I could transfer them when I liked.

Where does Slimserver store these podcasts? I can't find them anywhere. Is there a way to browse the podcasts from within Slimserver?

I sucessfully played the podcasts from my squeezebox, but it seemed they were streaming from the internet rather than my HD. Is this true?

And finally, why can I not FF or RW a podcast. This seems like a bizarre restriction.

thanks in advice for your help. I have looked everywhere for information, but it always seem so generic.

max.spicer
2005-09-28, 06:22
I know little of podcasts, but I would imagine that the squeezebox plays them directly from the internet (much like radio stations). It may get them via the SlimServer, but if it does, I doubt that the server stores them permanently. I believe that podcasting really refers to the habit of making shows available as mp3s - it doesn't inherently mean putting them onto a computer/player, but that is how most people play them. I can see it would be useful to have an option for SlimServer to store played Podcasts somewhere. It may already do this, I don't know I'm afraid.

This is all speculation - someone else will be able to give you a much better answer later, I hope.

Max

Sorry about all this, but I am a bit confused about podcasting on the Squeezebox.

I thought Podcasts were a way to force download a file (usually mp3) onto the local computer or device and then one can play it offline.

In this way, I would have presumed that when I set a few podcasts in the slimserver (which did play ok) they would be stored somewhere on my computers Harddrive, so I could transfer them when I liked.

Where does Slimserver store these podcasts? I can't find them anywhere. Is there a way to browse the podcasts from within Slimserver?

I sucessfully played the podcasts from my squeezebox, but it seemed they were streaming from the internet rather than my HD. Is this true?

And finally, why can I not FF or RW a podcast. This seems like a bizarre restriction.

thanks in advice for your help. I have looked everywhere for information, but it always seem so generic.

radish
2005-09-28, 06:53
Podcasting, from a technical point of view, is basically just publishing a feed which includes links to audio files. The way most people use this is with an automated downloader which periodically downloads the latest installment of some show and puts it onto an ipod or some similar player. This essentially was designed to allow you to listen to internet radio when you might be away from your network connection. Slimserver has been extended (as Max says) so be able to fetch these files, but it just plays them live, in the same way as radio. Advantage: you don't have to wait for it to download, disadvantage: the file isn't stored anywhere for you to use on another device.

I believe if you use iTunes to download your podcasts in the normal fashion slimserver will also play those, so that might suit your needs better.

Justme
2005-09-28, 09:09
Thanks for your responses.

It does seem odd to me then that Slimserver just plays them straight off the internet. This could be the main reason that one can't FF or RW (not that I can successfully do that to an MP3 with my squeezebox, but maybe in the future this will be fixed)

It would be nice for slimserver to have the option of downloading these automatically. i.e. as soon as you enter a site in for the podcast in slimserver, it starts downloading to your HD in the background. This way, you could transfer to portable devices if you like, or the very least not have to be on the internet and to be able to FW and RW a podcast at will.

As you mentioned, I could use the iTunes software, and probably will until slimserver gets this option, but it is sad then to have to use multiple programs for one single task.

cheers for the help.

max.spicer
2005-09-28, 09:21
I've just filed bug 2212 on this issue: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2212. Please don't post unecessary comments to it.

Max

Thanks for your responses.

It does seem odd to me then that Slimserver just plays them straight off the internet. This could be the main reason that one can't FF or RW (not that I can successfully do that to an MP3 with my squeezebox, but maybe in the future this will be fixed)

It would be nice for slimserver to have the option of downloading these automatically. i.e. as soon as you enter a site in for the podcast in slimserver, it starts downloading to your HD in the background. This way, you could transfer to portable devices if you like, or the very least not have to be on the internet and to be able to FW and RW a podcast at will.

As you mentioned, I could use the iTunes software, and probably will until slimserver gets this option, but it is sad then to have to use multiple programs for one single task.

cheers for the help.

kdf
2005-09-28, 09:33
Quoting "max.spicer" <max.spicer.1w2unp (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> I've just filed bug 2212 on this issue:
> http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2212. Please don't post
> unecessary comments to it.

wouldn't this request be covered by this:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1959

Seeing as the podcast browser basically handles podcasts as if they were radio,
the two words become rather interchangeable in this case.

-k

fuzzyT
2005-09-28, 12:16
Justme wrote:
> Sorry about all this, but I am a bit confused about podcasting on the
> Squeezebox.

Here's a reference to a thread where some of this was discussed:
<http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=15515>

Includes some ideas for handling other modes of how SS works with
podcasts. Would love some feedback on that, in particular the concepts
of supporting both modes of podcast listening by using a SS Podcasts
directory/folder and some UI differentiation between podcast content and
other library items.

And here's a tiny'd link to a good O'Reilly article on podcasts:
<http://tinyurl.com/9ys8x>

--rt

max.spicer
2005-09-28, 12:31
Yes and no. The fix for that bug could be a temporary file. The new bug calls for a permanent file saved in a location that will show up in the player's browse ui. There are certainly dependencies, but I believe they are separate bugs.

Max

Quoting "max.spicer" <max.spicer.1w2unp (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> I've just filed bug 2212 on this issue:
> http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2212. Please don't post
> unecessary comments to it.

wouldn't this request be covered by this:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1959

Seeing as the podcast browser basically handles podcasts as if they were radio,
the two words become rather interchangeable in this case.

-k

Justme
2005-09-28, 14:05
max.spicer, thanks for the listing in the bugs section about this.