PDA

View Full Version : iTunes plays fine, but SqueezeBox/Slimserver show blank titles

yubyub
2005-09-28, 02:53
I have a bunch of albums I ripped, using iTunes, to AAC.

iTunes sees the playlists just fine - unprotected AAC files - and plays them like a champ.

Slimserver (via the web page) and Squeezebox don't show any titles, and can't open the file when I try to play them. Some albums play (ones that I ripped the entire disc), but some playlists dont (onces that I've created myself).

I've tried rescanning from scratch on the Slimserver, but it didn't seem to work.

Platform is Mac OSX 1.4 with iTunes 5.0.1, running Slimserver 6.1.1 (?? I believe) on an Infrant ReadyNAS X6. I've moved my iTunes folder to the NAS, and created an alias for iTunes to use. Again, some work, and some don't.

Any ideas for a newbie?

yubyub
2005-09-28, 06:22
Okay, I believe I found out why:

The Slimserver plugin for the Infrant ReadyNAS apparently doesn't support streaming AAC files:

http://www.infrant.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2424#2424

This is a bit disappointing. I assumed that the Slimserver for the ReadyNAS would be the same as Slimserver for any other platform, but apparently I missed the limitation or didn't read deep enough.

Are there any plans to allow the Squeezebox2 to play un-encrypted AAC (m4a) files?

yubyub
2005-09-28, 09:24
Sorry - what I meant to ask is:

Are there any plans to let the Squeezebox2 play AAC natively, such that Slimserver doesn't have to transcode?

I'm feeling a bit wary about having to use Slimserver at all, and am on the brink of returning the Squeezebox unfortunately.

radish
2005-09-28, 09:44
Sorry - what I meant to ask is:

Are there any plans to let the Squeezebox2 play AAC natively, such that Slimserver doesn't have to transcode?

I'm sure there is an enhancement request for that, you could go vote for it to show your support. Firmware updates like this are done inhouse by Slimdevices, with enough requests I'm sure they'd listen :)

I'm feeling a bit wary about having to use Slimserver at all, and am on the brink of returning the Squeezebox unfortunately.
Seems to me the ReadyNAS is causing this problem, not the server. Are you having other issues?

yubyub
2005-09-28, 09:48
Yep, it would be the ReadyNAS which is causing this problem, but the result is the same: I can't use my SqueezeBox2 effectively.

The NAS box itself is fantastic - I have no complaints, and can understand that they have limited horsepower on the box. Not to say that I wouldn't have liked to have discovered this before...

It's the proprietary nature of the Slimserver that I'm starting to worry about. I know it's opensource, but the fact remains that I have to have the server running somewhere - so if I can't run the server, I'm out of luck. The Sonos system, for example, requires no server at all (well, it has the server in every box, which is what makes it so expensive).

It's really too bad - I really like the Squeezebox2.

radish
2005-09-28, 14:05
It's the proprietary nature of the Slimserver that I'm starting to worry about.

SlimServer is about as non-proprietary as you can get.

so if I can't run the server, I'm out of luck.

So why can't you run the server? Bung it on a cheap PC and forget about it. You can get something from the local discount store for $200 which will run it just fine.

The other options (as I see them) are something which uses uPnP to do networking - but you still need a server (and a Windows one at that). Or something like Audiotron which uses network mounts directly - you still need a server (SMB in this case), or finally the Sonos who sell you not only the player, and an amp (which everyone already has), but even a (very overpriced) computer to run the server on. Great. </sarcasm>

The Sonos system, for example, requires no server at all (well, it has the server in every box, which is what makes it so expensive).
Right - it's expensive and MUCH more proprietary than SS. Lets say you drop $3k or whatever on Sonos and they go bust tomorrow. Who's gonna support you? Who's gonna add support for the next cool audio file format which comes along? No one.

yubyub
2005-09-29, 03:19
Radish,

Thanks for your comments.

SlimServer is about as non-proprietary as you can get.
That's not true. If it were, Squeezebox2 would support UPnP or such. I know the server is open source, but that doesn't make the product non-proprietary. Non-proprietary would mean that it uses an established standard to talk to other devices i.e. UPnP, NAS via CIFS or such, etc - i.e. it would talk to other products out of the box. The fact that I can hack the server if I want to doesn't make it non-proprietary.

So why can't you run the server? Bung it on a cheap PC and forget about it. You can get something from the local discount store for $200 which will run it just fine.
This is just a matter of preference. I don't want another machine running - it's another box to fail, another box to update and firewall, etc... With boxes such as Sonos (for example), somebody else worries about it - I just have to update. I work pretty hard as it is, and the last thing I need is my wife calling me saying "I can't use the stereo" - it leaves a bad impression with her (so she may not use the system, which makes the system useless) and means I probably have an extra 1/2 hour of work to do when I get home. I'd rather spend that time with my wife and son.

As it is right now, my NAS box just works. Just last night, I upgraded it to 1/2TB in about 5 mins. The box did the rest. I didn't have to worry about it. I spent the time playing "daddy monster" with my kid instead of dealing with partitioning, volume management and resyncing.

"Daddy monster" is a much better way to spend your time ;-)

The other options (as I see them) are something which uses uPnP to do networking - but you still need a server (and a Windows one at that).
My NAS box has a UPnP server built into it, so I don't need an extra PC.

Or something like Audiotron which uses network mounts directly - you still need a server (SMB in this case), or finally the Sonos who sell you not only the player, and an amp (which everyone already has), but even a (very overpriced) computer to run the server on. Great. </sarcasm>
Yeah, Sonos is expensive. But if it's an integrated solution which just works, that's where I am right now. Not ideal for everybody, but it fits my needs and situation.

Right - it's expensive and MUCH more proprietary than SS. Lets say you drop $3k or whatever on Sonos and they go bust tomorrow. Who's gonna support you? Who's gonna add support for the next cool audio file format which comes along? No one.
Well, the same thing holds for Slimdevices, so that's a rather specious argument. Are you making a comment about the amount of $ invested in the product?

As a side note, it really is too bad that the Squeezebox won't work out for me. I think it's an excellent product. I really was trying to find reasons to keep it. Maybe in the future.

radish
2005-09-29, 06:43
Non-proprietary would mean that it uses an established standard to talk to other devices i.e. UPnP, NAS via CIFS or such, etc - i.e. it would talk to other products out of the box. The fact that I can hack the server if I want to doesn't make it non-proprietary.

You're using a different definition of proprietary from me, and most other people I know. From wikipedia:

Software which is privately owned or controlled is known as proprietary software. [...]

Proprietary software is not free software or open source software as end-users generally do not have the ability to:

run the software for any purpose
study and modify the software
copy the software and provide it to third parties
make and release improvements to the software

SlimServer is open source, the stream protocol is open and documented, it is therefore not proprietary.

As it is right now, my NAS box just works
As a NAS box it would appear, not a music server.

I don't want another machine running - it's another box to fail
But a Sonos isn't another box? It can't possibly fail? Please. You and I both know it's just a PC in a fancy case with some proprietary software (there's that word again!).

I work pretty hard as it is
Whilst I slack off all the time I guess?

the last thing I need is my wife calling me saying "I can't use the stereo"
Never happened to me. She's called to say her iBook has dropped off the network, and that the PVR has crashed (again) and that laser printer is chewing paper, but never that SlimServer has failed.

Well, the same thing holds for Slimdevices, so that's a rather specious argument.
Rubbish. Any one of 20 people on this forum (probably a lot more) could make pretty much any needed enhancement to SlimServer with or without SlimDevices help. No one except Sonos can fix a problem with Sonos.

yubyub
2005-09-29, 06:53
Radish, I'm not sure how comments such as:

As a NAS box it would appear, not a music server.
and

Whilst I slack off all the time I guess?
and

But a Sonos isn't another box? It can't possibly fail? Please. You and I both know it's just a PC in a fancy case with some proprietary software (there's that word again!).
are constructive.

Thanks for taking the time, though.

<sigh>