PDA

View Full Version : Bottom line re: Yahoo Unlimited Music?

alexwinsberg
2005-09-27, 23:19
I have been waiting for what seems like forever to buy one of these boxes, mostly because I want it to work with a Yahoo Unlimited Music subscription. In the recent article in Laptop referenced on the front page of this site, someone from Slim said they COULD do something about DRM issues, but didn't say if or when that would happen.

So, when? I'm not the only one asking, I've read enough around here to know that.

If never, why not?

Let's hear from Slim, and not all of you 'purists'.

danco
2005-09-28, 03:05
On 27/9/05 at 23:19 -0700, alexwinsberg wrote
>I have been waiting for what seems like forever to buy one of these
>boxes, mostly because I want it to work with a Yahoo Unlimited Music
>subscription. In the recent article in Laptop referenced on the front
>page of this site, someone from Slim said they COULD do something about
>DRM issues, but didn't say if or when that would happen.
>
>So, when? I'm not the only one asking, I've read enough around here to
>know that.
>
>If never, why not?
>
>Let's hear from Slim, and not all of you 'purists'.
>
>--
>
alexwinsberg

there are workarounds for drm issues. use a program that broadcasts
sound produced by the computer, and point sb at the broadcast.

--
Daniel Cohen

bishopdonmiguel
2005-09-28, 07:19
> Let's hear from Slim, and not all of you 'purists'.

Alex,

Don't count on a reply from anyone at Slim regarding your question. They are pretty tight lipped about new products and generally don't make any promises about the what/when of new non-existent features. For the record, I completely understand this strategic decision as it protects the business by not obliterating current sales. Imagine, if Sean announced today that in 3 months "feature z" would be available... new customers on the verge of making a purchase would postpone and Slim would be left holding unsellable (or highly discountable) inventory. I've seen other businesses go under because of announcements like this. Unfortunately, the flip side of this policy coin is that the consumer is making a blind decision and feels all of the purchase risk once the 30-day return window has elapsed. If "feature z" comes out at day 31 and requires new hardware to support it, you are "screwed." It might not seem fair, but it is... just the rules of the game.

Personally, I'd like Slim to be around for awhile so I accepted this risk. I bought 3 SB1's perhaps a bit early and patiently waited for a few "critical" features that I assumed would eventually be available (because they were being discussed in the forums). Unfortunately, my assumption was wrong... I need to upgrade to SB2's to use the features I've waited so long for. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bitter, just a bit disappointed in myself that I didn't postpone my decision until the features I really wanted were actually available. I love the product (even without these things), but the lesson I learned is don't buy unless you believe the current product suits your needs/wants/desires as-is... any new features that come along are just icing on the cake.

As for me, I am not upgrading because I can't justify the additional investment for the features in question. I'll wait for Slim's (or a competitor's ?) next generation product and determine at that time if there is something I just can't live without. If you really need/want/desire Yahoo Unlimited Music DRM support, I'd suggest you wait until you see it on the current feature list (I assume the DRM would require new hardware). Of course, if you have a decent sized music collection already, there is a lot of listening enjoyment that you may miss out on in the meantime.

seanadams
2005-09-28, 08:06
The software roadmap says we're working on support for DRM services. The firmware now supports WMA, which is a huge step towards that support.

We generally don't promise feature x on date y, because those kinds of expectations have been very difficult to manage.

Aaron Zinck
2005-09-28, 11:05
>
> there are workarounds for drm issues. use a program that broadcasts
> sound produced by the computer, and point sb at the broadcast.
>

This is not really a viable alternative. While technically this will allow
broadcast of the audio to the squeezebox, you are limited to controlling the
audio from the computer and there is no display of song/artist/album
information on the squeezebox. Additionally, the usefulness of such a
system for the less than tech-savvy (read: friends and family) is next to
nil.

shvejk
2005-09-28, 16:58
> I have been waiting for what seems like forever to buy one of these
> boxes, mostly because I want it to work with a Yahoo Unlimited Music
> subscription.

SB2 is a unique piece of hardware. Features like WMA and DRM support can be
added with firmware upgrade.
SlimDevices has a unique policy of adding new features to the firmware free
of charge.
The above might not be obvious to someone who only reads Slim marketing
materials, but for me it was a deciding factor to spend my money on SB2 just
after it came out.
Cheers,

jarredduq
2005-09-28, 21:40
Hello,

I found a way to stream the Yahoo Music Engine to my squeezebox.

Software you will need:

This involves the combination of the following software:

1. Slimserver
2. Shoutcast Server http://www.shoutcast.com/download/serve.phtml
3. Shoutcast Audio DSP Plugin for Winamp http://www.shoutcast.com/download/broadcast.phtml#miscdownload
4. Winamp http://www.winamp.com

I know this sounds like a lot of trouble, but it works well. Basically I launch winamp, which launches the DSP plugin and streams the audio to the shoutcast server. I then created a playlist in slimserver that points to the IP address and port of my shoutcast server, which in my case is 192.168.11.3:8000.

Please note that all of the above software is running on the same computer. You do not need one computer for slimserver and one for shoutcast, it call all run on the same box.

Once you get the software installed and configured, you just point the squeezebox at the server running the Shoutcast software, which in my case is http://192.168.11.3:8000.

I'll upload some screenshots shortly to show the configs.

costello
2005-09-30, 18:41
I could not get the broadcast to work using Shoutcast. It looks like the WinAmp Shoutcast will broadcast files that I have ripped from my CDs (.mp3), but will not broadcast the .wma files from Yahoo music. I was able to broadcast my own files to the Slimserver, but not the yahoo music files. I'm not sure if my configurations are correct, but I don't see why it would work on mp3 files but not wma unless the subscription wma files do not allow broadcast or something.

alexwinsberg
2005-10-03, 14:27
Hello,

I found a way to stream the Yahoo Music Engine to my squeezebox.

Software you will need:

This involves the combination of the following software:

1. Slimserver
2. Shoutcast Server http://www.shoutcast.com/download/serve.phtml
3. Shoutcast Audio DSP Plugin for Winamp http://www.shoutcast.com/download/broadcast.phtml#miscdownload
4. Winamp http://www.winamp.com

I know this sounds like a lot of trouble, but it works well. Basically I launch winamp, which launches the DSP plugin and streams the audio to the shoutcast server. I then created a playlist in slimserver that points to the IP address and port of my shoutcast server, which in my case is 192.168.11.3:8000.

Please note that all of the above software is running on the same computer. You do not need one computer for slimserver and one for shoutcast, it call all run on the same box.

Once you get the software installed and configured, you just point the squeezebox at the server running the Shoutcast software, which in my case is http://192.168.11.3:8000.

I'll upload some screenshots shortly to show the configs.

Now, this looks like what I am looking for. I assume the downfall is that you have to manage the music at the computer and not at the SB2, but if it works as a work around perhaps that is enough. I did see where someone had trouble with getting the WMA's to play via Shoutcast. Is this an issue, or a configuation problem.

Also, thanks to bishopdonmiguel. Very helpful and informative post. I appreciate that. I have spent the time to understand the various features and benefits of a SB, but I am attached to Yahoo Unlimited Music for the very reason that it gives me a chance to listen to so much more music than I ever considered before. Blue Monday calls for blues, Friday for Latin Jazz and so forth. I know there are other online ways to get to this stuff, but the various DRM services are still the best source for this stuff IMHO.

spieler
2005-10-04, 15:06
I could not get the broadcast to work using Shoutcast. It looks like the WinAmp Shoutcast will broadcast files that I have ripped from my CDs (.mp3), but will not broadcast the .wma files from Yahoo music. I was able to broadcast my own files to the Slimserver, but not the yahoo music files. I'm not sure if my configurations are correct, but I don't see why it would work on mp3 files but not wma unless the subscription wma files do not allow broadcast or something.

To get shoutcast to broadcast WMA files you need to use the spacial audio plug-in for winamp instead of the shoutcast dnas server and dsp plugin. It's not free ($45) but there is a free trial so you can see if it solves your problems. This plugin transcodes wma files to mp3 on the fly. Shoutcast only supports mp3 broadcasting.

http://www.spacialaudio.com/products/winamp/

jarredduq
2005-11-14, 21:34
To get shoutcast to broadcast WMA files you need to use the spacial audio plug-in for winamp instead of the shoutcast dnas server and dsp plugin. It's not free ($45) but there is a free trial so you can see if it solves your problems. This plugin transcodes wma files to mp3 on the fly. Shoutcast only supports mp3 broadcasting.

http://www.spacialaudio.com/products/winamp/

I do not play the songs through Winamp. I just launch Winamp to run the DSP. I play the songs through the Yahoo Music Player, which the Winamp DSP converts any audio coming through the sound card to streaming MP3 format that the Squeezebox can interpret.