PDA

View Full Version : slimserver fails to start on older hardware

kosburn
2005-09-27, 10:14
Hello everyone,

I'm having a small problem that I'm working with. I recently acquired a Cobalt RaQ4 that I've restored. Realizing this would be perfect as a slimserver I've installed the necessary rpm but am presented with this error:

***********snip*********************************** **********
[root /etc]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/slimserver start
Starting SlimServer: pidof: invalid options on command line!

--user/etc/rc.d/init.d/slimserver: --user: command not found

[root /etc]#

************snip********************************** *********

I've also noticed that the /etc/slimserver.conf doesn't populate during install (I tried copying one from my working slimserver but it didn't help)

I've also upgrade perl to 5.6.x and installed the necessary CPAN modules.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

MrC
2005-09-27, 10:20
The version and type of your OS is far more interesting than the hardware named.

There is a command that is running (pidof) that is probably trying to get the pid of a running slimserver, so that it can signal it to shut down. Apparently, the version of your "pidof" program accepts a different number of parameters. Or, a required value to the pidof program is not set within the installation script because of some other software mismatch or configuration issue.

The second error message seems to support that null values are present within the installation script.

kosburn
2005-09-27, 10:29
Here are some additons to my first post . . .

CobaltLinux 2.2.16C37_III #1 Sat Apr 12 14:54:32 PDT 2003 i586

Compares to RH 9

MrC
2005-09-27, 10:56
The startup script is trying to call the daemon helper function defined in /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions. This is attempting to kill the existing server, and start the new instance.

It does this by calling

daemon --user $SLIMSERVER_USER $SLIMSERVER_BIN $SLIMSERVER_ARGS

Your SLIMSERVER_USER and the other variables appear to be undefined. They should be installed and defined in /etc/sysconfig/slimserver.

# cat /etc/sysconfig/slimserver
# Edit this to suit your setup
SLIMSERVER_USER="slimserver"
SLIMSERVER_HOME="/usr/local/slimserver"
SLIMSERVER_CFG="/etc/slimserver.conf"
SLIMSERVER_LOG="/tmp/slimserver.log"
SLIMSERVER_ARGS="--daemon --prefsfile=$SLIMSERVER_CFG --logfile=$SLIMSERVER_LOG"

It seems that your RPM install did not work correctly, since you are also missing the /etc/slimserver.conf file as well.