PDA

View Full Version : Slim Bomb-o-rama on Library Rescan



tim
2005-09-26, 18:51
Hi,
I'm running SlimServer Version: 6.1.2 - 4157 - (Windows XP - EN - cp1252) Each time I do a rescan of my library, the server stops running. My library consists of about 11,000 mp3's. I have 2 SB2's syncronized.

The following is from the event viewer: "The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Perl interpreter failed."

I've tried nightlys from 9-24,25 along with the "stable 6.1.1" from the "download section" of the website.

Can you please provide me some assistance? If its a Perl error, can you provide a link to a later/better version of perl along with any installation instructions?

Thanks in advance!

--tim

moobaa
2005-09-26, 21:30
The only time I've seen the SlimServer hang when scanning is when I've had badly-formed playlists. In particular, playlists that refer to files using relative directories (ie, "..\..\GroovySong.mp3").

That might be a place to start... :}

oreillymj
2005-09-26, 22:31
Can I suggest the following:
Stop Slimserver.

Move your C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slimserver.pref file out of the Slimserver directory and on to the Windows desktop.

Restart Slimserver. It will start with the default preferences.

If that fixes your problem, you're done. You will need to apply your custom preferences again. You might want to file a bug report and send on your pref file.

I've seen something in my preferences cause the server (perl) to crash. I never bothered to figure out what caused the crash as it was quicker to apply my preferences again.

tim
2005-09-27, 06:14
The only time I've seen the SlimServer hang when scanning is when I've had badly-formed playlists. In particular, playlists that refer to files using relative directories (ie, "..\..\GroovySong.mp3").

That might be a place to start... :}

Thanks for the suggestion. I removed all of my playlists and rescanned. I received the same error:

"The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Perl interpreter failed."

I'll try moving the .pref file out next. Thanks again for the tip.

--tim

tim
2005-09-29, 06:26
I fixed it by removing some old shoutcast rips from a folder. Some of the filenames created by ripcast were quite interesting. They contained lots of punctuation and special charactors. There were additional play lists (.m3u) that were created using ripcast. Once I removed these, the rescan proceeds without incident. Thanks for all the suggestions.

--tim