PDA

View Full Version : USB 1.1 Disk fast enough for SlimServer?

Harald
2005-09-25, 11:22
hello all!
i think about buying a squeezebox2 and i would like to use my old laptop with an external usb 160gb disk as server. unfortunaly the laptop only hast usb 1.1. so my question is: is this fast enough for the SlimServer? just for playing mp3 it should be ok, but i don't know if the SlimServer has any features that need fast disk access?
thanks for your help!

harald

mherger
2005-09-25, 12:52
> just for playing mp3 it should be ok, but i don't know
> if the SlimServer has any features that need fast disk access?
> thanks for your help!

Yes, streaming only would be fine. But expect the scanning process to take
a long time. It will read every file of your collection to get the meta
data (album, artist, name etc.).

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

DJanGo
2005-09-25, 14:49
Hi Harals,

without the Info which Notebook and Chipset for the USb and the Usb to IDE Bridge do u want to use - its hard to tell if it fits or not. (Not all USB2IDE Bridges works "fine"on all Chipsets)

Maybe you can buy a PCMCIA USB 2.0 Card for the Notebook or an Adapter to Plug the 3.5 Drive directly to the 2 inch Notebook as a replace for the original 2 inch Notebook drive. If you got any Speed Problems.

btw: If u share the drive via SMB to fill and manage the Mp3 Files via Network - the system would "hang" surely sometimes ;-(

Harald sounds german - can we talk german?

Harald
2005-09-25, 23:41
thank you all for your help!
i think Jan's idea to use a pcmcia usb adapter is propably the best. i hoped it works without because i have no experience on linux with pcmcia but i already found some sites with google and it looks as if it should just work without much config. and copying several gigs of mp3 with usb 1.1 would surely be a pain...

to Jan: ja deutsch ist liegt mir eigentlich viel mehr als englisch :-)

cheers

harald