PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver not running when I boot up?

Foggy
2005-09-25, 08:10
Hi,

I have had my Squeezebox 2 for a week now and it's brilliant! I'll be buying more! (Having had my fingers burnt by buying a load of rubbish from SMC in the past I had given up on media streamers - Glad I changed my mind!)

However I have a problem with Slimserver not starting when I boot my PC and log in:
We get a lot of power glitches where we are out in the sticks. Everytime we get one of these I have to go and switch the PC back on and log in. This isn't a big deal, but the Slimserver does not start up automatically - I have to do this manually.
Is there a setting where I can tell it to run automatically?

Another issue is that, I have the Squeezebox in the kitchen and when the microwave is running it misbehaves until the microwave stops - I can live with this though - I just hope it doesn't mean that the microwave is faulty and slowly cooking the family!
(Mind you the dog would last us a few days!)

PS I'm impressed with the ease of adding the plugin's - I added the simple phone book plug in which is pretty useful.

Thanks,
Foggy

mherger
2005-09-25, 08:32
Foggy

> Everytime we get one of these I have to go and switch the PC back on
> and log in.

Automatic start of the computer can often be enabled in the machines bios
option.

> Is there a setting where I can tell it to run automatically?

Of course there is - but we have to know what OS you are using... If it's
Windows, there was an option during install to have it run as a service. I
you're running Linux, then the rpm should add this automatically. If
you're on Debian or similiar, please have a look at wiki.slimdevices.com -
there are three different possible init scripts for slimserver.

> Another issue is that, I have the Squeezebox in the kitchen and when
> the microwave is running it misbehaves until the microwave stops - I
> can live with this though - I just hope it doesn't mean that the
> microwave is faulty and slowly cooking the family!
> (Mind you the dog would last us a few days!)

This is imho a typical wireless issue. I don't know exactly whether
changing the wireless channel in your access point might help.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

DrNic
2005-09-25, 08:37
Welcome Foggy
There has been similar issues regarding starting Slimserver as a service (ie automatically) in other threads, try looking through these first and posting back with your results:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=16603

On a side note - I would seriously consider getting a UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply) for your PC if power outages are common. PC's don't like to be "killed" by sudden loss of power - bad for data integrity/Operating system and hardware! Even if you just get a cheap one that auto-shutsdown your computer when the power goes would be better than none!!

Don't worry about the Micro-wave problem - thats just the joy of 2.4gHz wireless network gear for you. But if the dog is cooked I'll have a leg - kids to feed, you know... :)

Nic

Foggy
2005-09-25, 09:36
Many thanks to Michael and Nic for the feedback which put me in the right direction:

I don't remember having the option to auto start the server when I installed Slimserver, but I didn't have an SB2 at the time, as I was just evaluating before buying and so I probably selected for it to not start automatically.

I'm using XP. Here is how do it if anyone else gets this problem:

In Control Panel/Administrative Tools select Component Services.
This will open the Component services window. Double click 'Services (Local)' this will open the list of services in the right hand section of the window. Scroll down to 'Slimserver'.
If it is running then highlight it and right mouse click to get a list of options and select 'Stop'.
Right click again and select 'Properties', with 'Slimserver'still selected. Select Startup Type 'Automatic' and OK. At this point you can restart it manually or reboot your machine (after closing all windows) to make sure it has worked.

>Automatic start of the computer can often be enabled in the machines bios
option.

Good thinking - I forgot about that!

The UPS is a good idea too which I just haven't got around to but really should before it's too late!

Thanks again,
Foggy