PDA

View Full Version : Ripping CDs in FLAC

norderney
2005-09-22, 15:38
Can anybody recommend some software for ripping CDs in FLAC?

So far I have been ripping my CDs in MP3 VBR using EAC/Lame MP3 Encoder. But I have seen that a lot of people prefer FLAC.

Thanks

Andrew Smith

Music Machine
2005-09-22, 16:03
You're more than half way there. Just have EAC run flac instead of lame.

I used to do EAC/lame for portables. Now EAC/flac for squeezebox2. So, now if I need mp3 for the portables I use foobar/lame to convert flac to mp3.

Regards,
Music Machine

pfarrell
2005-09-22, 16:05
On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 15:38 -0700, norderney wrote:
> Can anybody recommend some software for ripping CDs in FLAC?

The answer depends on which platform you want to use.
Lots of folks use EAC for flac, it can be setup to do
it all for you, including using
www.accuraterip.com

But it is Windows only.

On Linux/Mandrake, I use grip.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

street_samurai
2005-09-22, 16:22
I think I should start getting referal fees for this link =)

Here's a guide for setting up EAC for use with FLAC:

<http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=30959>

ss.

norderney
2005-09-23, 10:17
I have upgraded my version of EAC to version 0.95 B3.

I then followed the instructions http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=30959

After configuring EAC, I closed the program and then opened it again. I then inserted a CD which it detected from the CDDB. But there are only WAV, MP3, IMG and WRI buttons on the left. Do I have to still press MP3?

I tried pressing the MP3 button, but all it does is copy the WAV file and then stops.

I get the message: Spin Up Drive, then Reading Track, then Copy OK, Compress Track By External Program, then it goes to Auto Extraction Complete within about a second of the Copy OK message appearing. There is no sign of the FLAC file being created.

Any ideas?

norderney
2005-09-23, 10:24
In case this helps here is the log file that was created:

EAC extraction logfile from 23. September 2005, 18:22 for CD
Clare Teal / Don't Talk

Used drive : _NEC NR-7900A Adapter: 1 ID: 1
Read mode : Secure with C2, accurate stream, NO disable cache
Combined read/write offset correction : 0
Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out : Yes

Used output format : G:\Backup from Drive C\Installation\Squeeze Box\FLAC\flac112a.exe (LPAC Lossless Encoder)
Fast Lossless Compression
Additional command line options : -6 -V -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" -T comment="%e" -T "comment=EAC (Secure Mode)" %s

Other options :
Fill up missing offset samples with silence : Yes
Delete leading and trailing silent blocks : No
Native Win32 interface for Win NT & 2000

Track 1
Filename G:\SqueezeBox Music\Clare Teal\Messin' With Fire.wav

Peak level 99.2 %
Track quality 100.0 %
Copy CRC F7E945A3
Copy OK

No errors occured

End of status report

Patrick Dixon
2005-09-23, 10:34
Yes, you do use the MP3 button.

Are you sure it is not running FLAC? FLAC will run in the background after the extraction is complete - so it may be that it was still running whilst you were typing your message here! Check in the bottom of the EAC window, to see if it says something like "n Compression Tasks remaining". When that message disappears, the FLAC compression should be complete.

Also check Tools->Compression Queue Control Centre and make sure the 'Make all compression tasks sleep' box is not checked.

street_samurai
2005-09-23, 12:07
Used output format : G:\Backup from Drive C\Installation\Squeeze Box\FLAC\flac112a.exe (LPAC Lossless Encoder)
Native Win32 interface for Win NT & 2000

A couple of things. First, one of the slightly annoying 'features' of the EAC interface is that if you have any tracks selected in the main view, then when you select to create a compressed version of a CD, it will only rip the selected tracks. It seems obvious that it should work this way but its shocking how many times I don't notice that I've got a single track selected and then end up with only one track ripped.

Yes, you should select the MP3 button. Just poorly designed / not updated interface.

In looking at your command line up there for initiating flac, I wonder if you are calling the compressed distribution of flac rather than the actual program. My flac is called flac.exe.

Can you create Flac's manually using FLAC frontend? (comes with the flac distrubtion)

ss.

norderney
2005-09-23, 12:35
Thanks street_samurai.

You were right I was indeed calling the compressed distribution of flac instead of FLAC itself!!!! It now seems to be working.

I got my wife to do a blind test. Played her a track recorded in MP3 VBR and FLAC and asked her which was which and she identified the FLAC track correctly!!!!

I have noticed that the FLAC tracks are bigger files than the MP3s. I have a track as an MP3 which is 6,909Kb. The same track as FLAC is 29,623Kb. Do you think that is about right? Not complaining, just wont to know it is working as it should be.

Sadly I have already ripped 14,500 tracks as MP3s. I will probably re-rip some of them especially the Classical and Jazz tracks.

Thanks for your help

Andrew Smith

street_samurai
2005-09-23, 12:56
Hehe, easy mistake to make.

Typically a FLAC is about 1/2 the size of the WAV whereas (depending on your MP3 encoding settings) you'll get around 1/6 of the size for MP3. Your numbers sound good. One of the strange things about FLAC is that increasing the compression factor (the -6 in your flac command line [can be set from -1 to -9]) does very little in terms of decreasing the size of the flac but does greatly increase the time needed to encode the file. So -5 or -6 is probably the most ideal setting.

In blind listening tests that I've seen, people have a very difficult time differentiating between a lossless format like FLAC and a properly encoded (ie using LAME with the presets) MP3. It probably depends on how golden your ears are. With MP3, its all about how well encoded the files are.

The nice thing about FLAC is that you won't ever have to worry about re-ripping your CDs again because you know you have a perfect copy. Whereas lossy technology will continue to improve over time and you'll always have that nagging feeling that you might be missing out on some sound quality.

If you have the space, my vote is for FLAC... but then I don't have to spend all the time re-ripping your CDs. :)

ss.

Michel Fombellida
2005-09-23, 13:10
I am using Plextools Professional XP with a Plextor drive (Plexwriter Premium). It rips to FLAC on the fly and it's very fast even with efficient error correction enabled. Plextools is the only tool that I found able to perfectly rip some copy protected CD available here in europe (EMI Copy Controlled), EAC had problems with these disks.

Michel

camelx
2005-09-23, 15:40
I was just wondering if someone could chime in on their settings for EAC under the Compression Options for the ID3 tab called ID3 Tag?

My main question is should I have "additionally write id3v2 tags" checked? Again I'm going to flac.

Right now I also have "Use track format xx/xx..." checked, what about that one?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT *** Sorry didn't post in ripping section *** :(

street_samurai
2005-09-24, 13:11
As noted in the other thread. It doesn't matter because FLAC doesn't store ID3 tags, its uses OGG tags.

ss.