PDA

View Full Version : one "profile" for many users...

otrWalter
2005-09-22, 15:26
How can I get slimServer to use a single "profile" (for lack of a term) that has a playlist defined and anyone coming in will get that playlist.

Example, I'd like the SqweezeBox in the living room to play it, and then the kids can get in on their PC and get the same thing.

Or am I dreaming?

Thanks

Walter

radish
2005-09-22, 17:11
I think the closest to what you are asking for is synced players. Go to the Settings menu and select synchronize. Then, all the players will play the same thing.

otrWalter
2005-09-22, 21:30
> Settings menu and select synchronize

Sorry, I can't find a "synchronize" link on any screen within "System Setup" or "Player Setup"

Or are you speacking of "SqueezeBox" device settings?

Walter

mherger
2005-09-22, 21:49
>> Settings menu and select synchronize
>
> Sorry, I can't find a "synchronize" link on any screen within "System
> Setup" or "Player Setup"

You'll need:

- more than one active player
- all SliMP3/SB/SB2 or softsqueeze, no Winamp or WMP

to have this option.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

otrWalter
2005-09-22, 23:13
> You'll need:
>
> - more than one active player
> - all SliMP3/SB/SB2 or softsqueeze, no Winamp or WMP
>
> to have this option.

OK, that answers that.

I'm running multiple Winamps right now.

That's why I don't get a 'sync' on any screen! :(

So, maybe I'm not seeing the "vision" behind this product, but I don't understand why there is not some configuration to make a "anonymous" login to play from the same "playlist", or even better, define multiple logins, each with its own playlist. I guess like multiple "radio stations".

I have thousands of Old Time Radio shows, many genres. There is great interest in my collection and streaming each show "playlist".

"The Shadow" on one, "CBS RMT" on another, and "Suspence" on a third.

Am I looking at this product all wrong?

Thanks

Walter

mherger
2005-09-22, 23:42
> I'm running multiple Winamps right now.
> That's why I don't get a 'sync' on any screen! :(
>
> So, maybe I'm not seeing the "vision" behind this product,

The vision is: buy five devices and you'll be able to sync five streams
;-). Or you use softsqueeze on any computer..

> but I don't
> understand why there is not some configuration to make a "anonymous"
> login to play from the same "playlist", or even better, define
> multiple
> logins, each with its own playlist. I guess like multiple "radio
> stations".

A.) is possible in a pure slimdevices environment, which includes the
free softsqueeze. Did you try the latter?

B.) is just the normal behaviour less the need of a login. The player-ID
is the login, if you want.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

otrWalter
2005-09-26, 14:19
>Am I looking at this product all wrong?

Am I?

Walter

radish
2005-09-26, 15:03
Am I?

Walter

Slimserver is designed for home users to stream music to players (primarily those made by SlimDevices) located around the home, either from locally stored files or internet radio sources. It's not designed to replace ICEcast or run a radio station (streaming or otherwise). That doesn't mean it can't be used for these purposes, but it may take some tweaking and patience. The beauty of the GPL is that you can take it and do what you want with it. However, you'll find that most people here are focussed on supporting it for it's primary purpose.

otrWalter
2005-09-26, 15:14
> replace ICEcast

mmm, didn't really think of this in those terms.

Just thought this was a nice system. Easy to setup, easy to use.

I wanted something I could use to listen to my music and OTR from the office (files at the house), mybe let a few friends in on it as well.

Maybe I should just shut-up on this and bite the bullet and dive into ICEcast.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

Walter

radish
2005-09-26, 16:40
If what you want is multiple clients listening to a preset playlist radio-style, then I personally think you'll be better off with something designed for that. If you want each client to have some degree of control over what they hear (with the ability to pause, skip, etc), then the combination of slimserver and softsqueeze would be ideal.

otrWalter
2005-09-27, 11:37
If what you want is multiple clients listening to a preset playlist radio-style, then I personally think you'll be better off with something designed for that.

after much thought, I see the differences.

If you want each client to have some degree of control over what they hear (with the ability to pause, skip, etc), then the combination of slimserver and softsqueeze would be ideal.

Yes, that's what I'm looking for (now that I'm thinking more on this).

This gets me back to other questions I've had, which I know SlimServer does not do...

Individual "accounts"
I'd like to make an "account" and define which playlist that account has access to. And ofcourse, no access to server settings (Yes, I have "noAccess" plugin, but thats not quite what I'm looing for).

I guess this would be a fundemental change to SlimServer (creating "accounts").

Thanks for all your patient assistance and suggestions.

Walter

radish
2005-09-27, 18:47
I believe there is at least one outstanding enhancement request for "user profiles" with different libraries, playlists, etc. You may want to head over to bugs.slimserver.com and register a vote for that.

radish
2005-09-27, 18:48
And of course, one thing I forgot, is that you can just have clients use softsqueeze but block the web interface. Then they'd automatically be able to choose music, playlists, etc, but not get to server settings.