PDA

View Full Version : Browsing art covers

camelx
2005-09-21, 13:34
I was wondering, (hoping), there is a way to browse the cover art work first by catagory. This would be VERY helpful.

For example I have hundreds of classical cds and hundreds of rock/alternative cds. It would be nice when I'm with my classical friends to look through only the classical cds and vise versa.

Can this be done now? if not does that sound interesting to others?

Thanks!

Music Machine
2005-09-21, 14:37
This is one of the reasons I stopped using it. It would be so cool if they sorted by genre/artist/title. I would use this all the time because I'm one of those old fasioned people that like to play whole albums.

Sorting by title alone is pretty useless except to check for missing artwork.

Regards,
Music Machine

camelx
2005-09-21, 14:46
That's even a much better idea. I hope this will be considered.

Let me say this to the "Slim" team. I can't tell you how many people I show my Squeezebox to. They love it, but by far the MOST impressive thing is when we sit around the dinner table with the wireless laptop and pass it around for everyone to pick the songs they like. Browsing the artwork album covers is the way they are all drawn to - I think a mod to browse the artwork by genre/artist/title would be huge - people seeing it for the first time focus right in on that. No interface to learn, just browse albums like the old days.

Please consider this!!!!!!!!!

camelx
2005-09-21, 14:57
Vote for this it you would like to see it happen.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2167

JJZolx
2005-09-21, 14:58
That's even a much better idea. I hope this will be considered.

Let me say this to the "Slim" team. I can't tell you how many people I show my Squeezebox to. They love it, but by far the MOST impressive thing is when we sit around the dinner table with the wireless laptop and pass it around for everyone to pick the songs they like. Browsing the artwork album covers is the way they are all drawn to - I think a mod to browse the artwork by genre/artist/title would be huge - people seeing it for the first time focus right in on that. No interface to learn, just browse albums like the old days.

Please consider this!!!!!!!!!
In the meantime, you can do it with some creative file tagging. It's not very flexible, but it works. Add ALBUMSORT tags to your files (Assuming you use FLAC or Ogg/Vorbis. Use TSOA in MP3 files. I have no idea what to use in any others, since it's never been documented.) Make the ALBUMSORT tag equal genre, then artist name (or ARTISTSORT if you want lastname/firstname order), then album name. I've done this to my whole collection using mp3tag (http://www.mp3tag.de/en/), which can be scripted to build the ALBUMSORT tag from the existing tags. I use browse artwork almost exclusively, sorted by artist, year, album name - a typical ALBUMSORT tag looks like:

Clapton, Eric|1977|Slowhand

kdf
2005-09-21, 15:32
Quoting camelx <camelx.1vqbhz (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Vote for this it you would like to see it happen.
>

or, in fact:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=305

which is enough of the same thing that it is really best kept together in one
place.

-kdf

camelx
2005-09-21, 15:37
Sorry, my bad.........just voted for 305.

Thanks!

kdf
2005-09-21, 15:44
Quoting camelx <camelx.1vqdcn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Sorry, my bad.........just voted for 305.

no problem. easier than splitting the votes

Music Machine
2005-09-21, 16:15
Just voted for 305. Looks like it's been there since v6.0. 305 is a pretty low number. Guess we need votes if we ever want to see this enhancement.

Regards,
Music Machine

kdf
2005-09-21, 16:42
Quoting Music Machine <Music.Machine.1vqf7b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Just voted for 305. Looks like it's been there since v6.0. 305 is a
> pretty low number. Guess we need votes if we ever want to see this
> enhancement.
>
It doens't help that it is not an easy task. Taking time to sort and manage
artwork in a more flexible way (including figuring out how to assign a cover
art in a genre context) would take time away from many other tasks for some
amount of time. Would you have traded native WMA? or multilanguage support?

votes do help, but finding 'enthusiastic amateurs' is what REALLY ends up
getting it done sooner :)

kdf

Music Machine
2005-09-21, 17:03
Would you have traded native WMA? or multilanguage support?

kdf

In a heartbeat. But I'm glad I don't have to set priorities. That can be a difficult and thankless task.

Thanks JJZolx for the workaround. I might update my tags if an enthusiastic contributer doesn't come along.

Regards,
Music Machine