PDA

View Full Version : Statistics links

Philip Meyer
2005-09-21, 12:00
I notice that if I display the music library statistics (via the Fishbone skin), there are now play next, play and add buttons for the "Most Requested" tracks, and clickable links for the songs.

Bugs/Enhancement requests:

1. When I click the Statistics link to bring up the display, this highlights the statistics link in bold. If I then select a browse method, or anything else changes the browse panel display, the Statistics link stays displayed in bold until the browser is refreshed or a Home / Server Settings / Statistics / Help link is clicked.

2. Clicking Play Next, Play or Add buttons for a track does add the track after the currently playing song, but doesn't refresh the now playing/controls frame - it turns white. Refreshing the browser solves the problem.

3. If I click the name of the artist, it browses all albums by that artist. Great! However, if I click the song title, it adds that song to the end of the now playing list (like the Add button). I would expect this to browse to the song information, from which I could select to play the album.

(1) is a cosmetic bug. Perhaps the easiest solution is to not turn links bold when clicked?

(2) I would class a cosmetic bug, as it does function, but doesn't refresh the frame correctly.

(3) bug or enhancement? I don't know what the intented action was for the song link was. But as there is an Add button already, it would seem to be nicer to make the link browse to the artist/album/song. BTW, does the statistics page take notice of the selected display format? eg, if I were to change the display format to include album name, would clicking on the album browse to that album?

Phil

kdf
2005-09-21, 15:15
Quoting Philip Meyer <slim (AT) hergest (DOT) demon.co.uk>:

> 1. When I click the Statistics link to bring up the display, this highlights
> the statistics link in bold. If I then select a browse method, or anything

fixed.

> 2. Clicking Play Next, Play or Add buttons for a track does add the track
> after the currently playing song, but doesn't refresh the now

fixed.

> 3. If I click the name of the artist, it browses all albums by that artist.
> Great! However, if I click the song title, it adds that song to the end of
> the now playing list (like the Add button). I would expect this to browse to
> the song information, from which I could select to play the album.

> (3) bug or enhancement? I don't know what the intented action was for the
> song link was. But as there is an Add button already, it would seem to be
> nicer to make the link browse to the artist/album/song. BTW, does the
> statistics page take notice of the selected display format? eg, if I were to
> change the display format to include album name, would clicking on the album
> browse to that album?

net yet, but what it should be is a match for the other browse lists, where it
includes all contributors as well as albums. This isn't the case, since the
hitlist thing doesn't appear to be a core priority (since its not available in
the default skin)

I'll run a patch by Dan and try to get that in today.

-kdf

Philip Meyer
2005-09-21, 15:53
>I'll run a patch by Dan and try to get that in today.
Great speedy work as usual KDF!

With regards to the actual statistics presented (nothing skin related), the data does seem to get a bit iffy at times. I assume that the stats get wiped whenever a full rescan is performed, which is a bit annoying (but understandable and probably unavoidable) as I do that quite frequently when I'm playing with these beta releases. It does mean that I only ever have a few entries in the stats list though, so I haven't been using it. At times I seem to have entries in there that I don't think I've played since the previous wipe scan though.

As a stats enhancement, it would be nice to have a stats type selection to select either "Top Artists", "Top Albums", "Top Songs" and possibly others (maybe top radio stations). This is perhaps treading close to the enhancement requests that are already in bugzilla, for example 380 - Automatic Playlists.

As a subsequent enhancement, it would be nice to have an inverse stats selection "Least accessed", which could be used it to find albums that haven't been played in a while (or maybe a selection mode which is the opposite of "Old Music").

Then, way way down the enhancement line in the future, Random Mix could be weighted (via a pref or by providing other random mix selection options) to bias towards popular music or non-popular music.

Phil

kdf
2005-09-21, 20:56
On 21-Sep-05, at 3:53 PM, Philip Meyer wrote:

>> I'll run a patch by Dan and try to get that in today.
> Great speedy work as usual KDF!
>
> With regards to the actual statistics presented (nothing skin
> related), the data does seem to get a bit iffy at times. I assume
> that the stats get wiped whenever a full rescan is performed, which is
> a bit annoying (but understandable and probably unavoidable) as I do
> that quite frequently when I'm playing with these beta releases. It
> does mean that I only ever have a few entries in the stats list
> though, so I haven't been using it. At times I seem to have entries
> in there that I don't think I've played since the previous wipe scan
> though.

There is a bug report against this issue. The theory is that what is
displayed is actually the lesser played songs due to a double reversing
of a limited list. 2162, I believe.

>
> As a stats enhancement,...
>
the rest of these seem to be a good set of ideas for the ratings UI.
request 142, or a new request if you wish.

-kdf

hakan
2005-09-22, 07:37
There is a bug report against this issue. The theory is that what is displayed is actually the lesser played songs due to a double reversing of a limited list. 2162, I believe.

Yep, that was me ;-)

Try running the sql query shown in the logs (with --d_sql) with your favourite database client...

Regards,
Hakan

hakan
2005-09-22, 07:48
With regards to the actual statistics presented (nothing skin related), the data does seem to get a bit iffy at times. I assume that the stats get wiped whenever a full rescan is performed, which is a bit annoying (but understandable and probably unavoidable) as I do that quite frequently when I'm playing with these beta releases. It does mean that I only ever have a few entries in the stats list though, so I haven't been using it. At times I seem to have entries in there that I don't think I've played since the previous wipe scan though.

I've run into the very same issue. Because I love my playtime statistics (and, one of those days, would like to build a smart playlist generator based on playcount and lastplayed information), I built a small plugin that periodically (in my case, every 10 minutes as long as a client is connected) copies this information into a seperate table in the slimserver database.

If I need to rebuild the database, I can always recover my playCount information (keyed off the musicbrainz ID, and, if that is not available, the URL of the track). Rebuilding the database is either voluntarily (because I made sweeping changes to my tags or directory structure of my collection) or involuntarily (because the database schema changed, which happens a lot if you tend to follow the SVN code)

I'll upload that plugin to my web site later today.

As a stats enhancement, it would be nice to have a stats type selection to select either "Top Artists", "Top Albums", "Top Songs" and possibly others (maybe top radio stations). This is perhaps treading close to the enhancement requests that are already in bugzilla, for example 380 - Automatic Playlists.

As a subsequent enhancement, it would be nice to have an inverse stats selection "Least accessed", which could be used it to find albums that haven't been played in a while (or maybe a selection mode which is the opposite of "Old Music").

Then, way way down the enhancement line in the future, Random Mix could be weighted (via a pref or by providing other random mix selection options) to bias towards popular music or non-popular music.

Phil

Such features would all depend on keeping the playCount and lastPlayed information.

Regards,
Hakan