PDA

View Full Version : new musicmagic 1.1.6

maxman
2005-09-21, 06:27
Hi,

has anyone tried the new musicmagic already to see if it's still compatible with slimserver?

davep
2005-09-21, 08:08
Working for me so far on Linux. Not a lot of new features as far as I can see although there is a useful new switch to limit the frequency of re-occurrance of any one artist in a mix, something I had found a little irritating in previous versions.

Seems like the windows version still has more additional functionality than linux - or maybe I can't find some things.

davep

Dave
2005-09-21, 10:49
On my machine, both startup of MMM and mixing from slimserver-interface seems to be much faster!

Patrick Dixon
2005-09-21, 11:02
How is MM on Linux these days? I gave up on it a while back because it seemed to be not quite there - is it time to try it out again?

davep
2005-09-22, 03:22
How is MM on Linux these days? I gave up on it a while back because it seemed to be not quite there - is it time to try it out again?

Patrick,
I am running it on Mandrake 10.2 and it is just fine these days. Whatever issues there were between it and slimserver seem to be resolved (I suspect the hand of kdf there) and it basically does what it says it does. On the SS side you can now choose to have different settings for each player (if you have more than one of course) and thus generate different types of mix in different places.

Of course you need to pay for the MM user licence to be able to access the API which links MM to SS.

davep

hakan
2005-09-22, 06:25
This might be slightly off-topic for the slimserver forums but please bear with me...

I tried MM 1.1.5 on my machine a few weeks ago, but couldn't find a way to have it scan all subdirectories of my music collection. Faced with the option of manually clicking and adding something like 3000 tracks, I quickly lost interest in the product.

Is just starting it and having it scan a complete directory tree something that the full version can do? Maybe just like the way the slimserver does it?

Regards,
Hakan

ceejay
2005-09-22, 09:27
I just tried 1.1.6 (never used it before, saw this thread, thought I'd have a go). It does read down through directories, but not through links, it seems (on Windows XP).

Ceejay.

David Brittain
2005-09-22, 11:09
I certainly found the UI for this on Linux less than intuitive. I found
the only way to max it work was to navigate to the directory above where
the music was and then manually type in the music dir name in the
filename field. It then scanned all subdirectories.

e.g.

/home/music/flac is where my music is stored

navigate to /home/music using the dialog and type flac into the filename
field

Dave

hakan wrote:
> This might be slightly off-topic for the slimserver forums but please
> bear with me...
>
> I tried MM 1.1.5 on my machine a few weeks ago, but couldn't find a way
> to have it scan all subdirectories of my music collection. Faced with
> the option of manually clicking and adding something like 3000 tracks,
> I quickly lost interest in the product.
>
> Is just starting it and having it scan a complete directory tree
> something that the full version can do? Maybe just like the way the
> slimserver does it?
>
>
> Regards,
> Hakan
>
>
>

hakan
2005-09-22, 12:26
I certainly found the UI for this on Linux less than intuitive. I found
the only way to max it work was to navigate to the directory above where
the music was and then manually type in the music dir name in the
filename field. It then scanned all subdirectories.

e.g.

/home/music/flac is where my music is stored

navigate to /home/music using the dialog and type flac into the filename
field

Dave

Aaah, actually this make some limited amount of sense.... Knowing the shortcomings of the swing filechooser dialog, that is. I hadn't touched any swing applications in a lifetime (no, don't make me remember those I was forced to build...), so I forgot that useless bit of information about choosing directory items...

Thanks again, you solved a mystery for me ;-)

Regards,
Hakan

Simon Still
2005-09-23, 00:53
On 9/21/05, maxman <maxman.1vpnvz (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> Hi,
>
> has anyone tried the new musicmagic already to see if it's still
> compatible with slimserver?

seems to be working fine. One question, not directly connected to the new
version.

When i create a mix in mmm i select a seed track and hit the new mix button..
Quite often the seed track doesnt appear in the mix. Wehn i do the same from
within slimserver the seed track is always the first track of the mix - why
the difference. including the seed track is what i want to do - i think of
something i want to hear and want 'more like that'.

radish
2005-09-23, 12:26
Aaah, actually this make some limited amount of sense.... Knowing the shortcomings of the swing filechooser dialog, that is. I hadn't touched any swing applications in a lifetime (no, don't make me remember those I was forced to build...), so I forgot that useless bit of information about choosing directory items...

Thanks again, you solved a mystery for me ;-)

Regards,
Hakan

There's nothing in the swing file chooser which makes selecting directories hard, I did it just the other day. Of course you have to actually read the docs and set it up right...but IIRC it's just a couple of flags to set.

Yannzola
2005-09-23, 12:45
On my machine, both startup of MMM and mixing from slimserver-interface seems to be much faster!

Same here. Looks like they fixed a couple of bugs vis. startup delays. Great program! Love it.

y.