PDA

View Full Version : Displaying album artwork only partially works

nico
2005-09-20, 02:57
Hi,

I've started adding album artwork to my music DB but have run into a problem with the "Browse By Artwork" feature (in both Default and Fishbone skins).

In my collection I have about 30 MP3 tracks, each which have artwork embedded as a ID3 tag. Then I have about 30k FLAC tracks. The artwork to each of these albums is in a single folder:
artfolder = /terrabyte1/ro/images/slimdevices

I have specified variable filename patterns:
Artwork: %ALBUM_ARTIST_full.jpg
Artwork Thumbnail: %ALBUM_ARTIST_thmb.jpg

"Look For Artwork" is enabled.

The problem is that when I Browse By Artwork, I only see thumbnails for the artwork embedded in the MP3 files. None of the FLAC artwork shows up. I have rescanned the lib from scratch several times.

The curious thing about this is that both full-size and thumbnail artwork for my FLAC files DOES show up in the Default & Fishbone skins when I am browsing via alternate methods. For example, if I Browse By Album and choose a flac album that has artwork, the full 300x300 image will show up in the browse panel. Then if I click on the album to play it, the smaller 100x100 thumbnail will appear in the player panel. Turning on d_artwork confirms the pathnames for the full & thmb jpegs are being found and loaded.

Anyone have any idea why Browse By Artwork is only displaying the artwork embedded in my MP3 files?

TIA,
Nico

Slimserver: 6.1.1 - 3774 - solaris - EN - iso-8859-1
Browser: FireFox 1.0.6

kdf
2005-09-20, 08:50
On 20-Sep-05, at 2:57 AM, nico wrote:

>
>
> I have specified variable filename patterns:
> Artwork: %ALBUM_ARTIST_full.jpg
> Artwork Thumbnail: %ALBUM_ARTIST_thmb.jpg
> Slimserver: 6.1.1 - 3774 - solaris - EN - iso-8859-1
> Browser: FireFox 1.0.6
>
>
the variable artwork feature is broken in 6.1.1. It should be working
in the latest of the 6.2 betas
-kdf

nico
2005-09-20, 19:39
Tried the latest nightly, [SlimServer Version: 6.2b1 - 4372 - solaris - EN - iso-8859-1].

Same results on the Browse By Artwork page (ie, only artwork embedded in mp3's), and a step backwards: now no image files display in any of the other browsing modes.

Seems the %ALBUM_ARTIST substitution is not working. d_artwork output:

2005-09-21 11:36:35.5033 Looking for image files in /terrabyte1/ro/audio/slimdevices/flac/v/a
2005-09-21 11:36:35.5052 Variable Thumbnail: ALBUM_ARTIST_thmb.jpg from ALBUM_ARTIST_thmb
2005-09-21 11:36:35.5055 Image File empty or couldn't read: /terrabyte1/ro/audio/slimdevices/flac/v/a/ALBUM_ARTIST_thmb.jpg
2005-09-21 11:36:35.5057 Image File empty or couldn't read: /terrabyte1/ro/images/slimdevices/ALBUM_ARTIST_thmb.jpg

In that case it should have substituted in the name of the album & artist into ALBUM and ARTIST.

My variable filename settings are the same as before, though I notice the format in .slimserver.pref has changed, now there are single-quotes:
coverArt: '%ALBUM_ARTIST_full.jpg'
coverThumb: '%ALBUM_ARTIST_thmb.jpg'

I also found a bunch other other bugs with this nightly (dup tracks in album listings, dup albums under New Music, playlists not saving properly, etc) so I think I'll be rolling back to 6.1.1.

Let me know if I can be of further help in elaborating on these issues.

kdf
2005-09-21, 10:58
Quoting nico <nico.1votsn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Tried the latest nightly, [SlimServer Version: 6.2b1 - 4372 - solaris -
> EN - iso-8859-1].
>
> Same results on the Browse By Artwork page (ie, only artwork embedded
> in mp3's), and a step backwards: now no image files display in any of
> the other browsing modes.
>
> Seems the %ALBUM_ARTIST substitution is not working. d_artwork output:

looks like the underscore is a problem. Using hypen, or some other separator
seems to work ok.

-k

DrNic
2005-09-25, 10:56
Nico
Did you ever get to the bottome of this?? Is it working properly for you now?
I'm ashamed to admit it, but on my slimserver (ah hem - 5.3.1!) I have exactly the same problem!
Embedded artwork *and* cover.jpg files in the folder of MP3's are displayed, but cover.jpg in FLAC folders do not show up...

I know that general consensus (almost knee jerk?!) would be to "upgrade to the latest server version", but before changing what essentially is not "broken" (excepting my artwork problem!) I want to know if this is rectified in the latest versions.

Thanks
Nic

Hi,

I've started adding album artwork to my music DB but have run into a problem with the "Browse By Artwork" feature (in both Default and Fishbone skins).

In my collection I have about 30 MP3 tracks, each which have artwork embedded as a ID3 tag. Then I have about 30k FLAC tracks. The artwork to each of these albums is in a single folder:
artfolder = /terrabyte1/ro/images/slimdevices

I have specified variable filename patterns:
Artwork: %ALBUM_ARTIST_full.jpg
Artwork Thumbnail: %ALBUM_ARTIST_thmb.jpg

"Look For Artwork" is enabled.

The problem is that when I Browse By Artwork, I only see thumbnails for the artwork embedded in the MP3 files. None of the FLAC artwork shows up. I have rescanned the lib from scratch several times.

The curious thing about this is that both full-size and thumbnail artwork for my FLAC files DOES show up in the Default & Fishbone skins when I am browsing via alternate methods. For example, if I Browse By Album and choose a flac album that has artwork, the full 300x300 image will show up in the browse panel. Then if I click on the album to play it, the smaller 100x100 thumbnail will appear in the player panel. Turning on d_artwork confirms the pathnames for the full & thmb jpegs are being found and loaded.

Anyone have any idea why Browse By Artwork is only displaying the artwork embedded in my MP3 files?

TIA,
Nico

Slimserver: 6.1.1 - 3774 - solaris - EN - iso-8859-1
Browser: FireFox 1.0.6

kdf
2005-09-25, 11:15
On 25-Sep-05, at 10:56 AM, DrNic wrote:

>
> Nico
> Did you ever get to the bottome of this?? Is it working properly for
> you now?
> I'm ashamed to admit it, but on my slimserver (ah hem - 5.3.1!) I have
> exactly the same problem!
> Embedded artwork *and* cover.jpg files in the folder of MP3's are
> displayed, but cover.jpg in FLAC folders do not show up...
>
i've got about 70% of my collection as FLAC, and all my artwork is
cover.jpg in folders. I'm seeing art just fine, but I also can't say I
can think of a time when I did not (at least specifically for FLAC).

d_artwork logs may help. (can't remember if this was an option as far
back as 5.3.1)
d_info if nothing else.

-kdf

DrNic
2005-09-25, 12:19
On 25-Sep-05, at 10:56 AM, DrNic wrote:
[color=blue]
i've got about 70% of my collection as FLAC, and all my artwork is
cover.jpg in folders. I'm seeing art just fine, but I also can't say I
can think of a time when I did not (at least specifically for FLAC).

d_artwork logs may help. (can't remember if this was an option as far
back as 5.3.1)
d_info if nothing else.

-kdf

Thanks KDF
5.3.1 does have the artwork debug - so shall give that a try.
Good to hear your FLAC artwork is behaving for you!

Nic