PDA

View Full Version : Songs stop playing

Philip Meyer
2005-09-20, 01:03
Every morning the Advanced Alarm Clock plays a playlist containing tracks that are 30+ mins long on my older SBG.

For the last few mornings, I have found that music stops playing half way through one of the tracks. I'm not sure if it's the same track each time - I'll investigate further.

The effect is that the Now Playing screen says the track is still playing (ie. not paused or stopped), but the progress bar and time don't increase and no sound can be heard.

If I press a key on the remote to stop the alarm plugin, and then play the current track, it plays all the way through, so I don't think there's anything wrong with the music files.

Could this be a problem with any recent change in the server code, or with the plugin?

Phil

kdf
2005-09-20, 08:59
On 20-Sep-05, at 1:03 AM, Philip Meyer wrote:

> Every morning the Advanced Alarm Clock plays a playlist containing
> tracks that are 30+ mins long on my older SBG.
>
> For the last few mornings, I have found that music stops playing half
> way through one of the tracks. I'm not sure if it's the same track
> each time - I'll investigate further.

it happens to me about once every 6-8 weeks. I've never managed to
lock it down, and I've tried all sorts of pause, stop, power on clear
and load playlist steps to clean out the squeezebox as it wakes up.
All I can think of now is that, like me, it just needs its coffee.
>
>
> Could this be a problem with any recent change in the server code, or
> with the plugin?
>

I keep hoping it is somehow linked to the 'synced music doesn't start'
bug. I have a rewrite on the way, only to make better use of the INPUT
modes and clean up a main menu display problem. I'd suggest trying
the built-in alarm for a few days and see if you have the same issues,
since you seem to be hitting it more regularly than I.

-kdf

Philip Meyer
2005-09-20, 11:23
>I keep hoping it is somehow linked to the 'synced music doesn't start'
>bug.
>
Interesting. Recently I have started to use the sync facility between SBG and SB2. I did have a problem with Sync the other day after applying a nightly upgrade. I had to remove the synch and then re-sync. Sometimes I seem to lose the sync between the two players (perhaps following a server upgrade?).

>I'd suggest trying
>the built-in alarm for a few days and see if you have the same issues,
>since you seem to be hitting it more regularly than I.
>
I hadn't noticed a problem until recently (last week or so), although I am not the most observant person in the mornings ;)

Perhaps it is something to do with the length of the track that makes it more likely to happen. My tracks are 30+ mins long (Coverville podcast enclosures).

Phil

Philip Meyer
2005-09-23, 01:08
>I'd suggest trying
>the built-in alarm for a few days and see if you have the same issues,
>since you seem to be hitting it more regularly than I.
>
I've switched back to the built-in alarm, and the same thing happened this morning. About 75% into a 30 min track, the music just stopped. No change to the display.

I pressed stop, and then play to play the track again. It stopped again, but not at the same position. Must have been about 85% through the track.

BTW, I notice that the built-in alarm clock now supports "Current Playlist" and random mix playlist selections. It has everyday and individual days. Other than the ability to set an alarm for "weekdays" and "weekends", is there any other functionality that your plugin adds over the built-in functionality?

Phil

kdf
2005-09-23, 08:54
On 23-Sep-05, at 1:08 AM, Philip Meyer wrote:

>> I'd suggest trying
>> the built-in alarm for a few days and see if you have the same issues,
>> since you seem to be hitting it more regularly than I.
>>
>
> BTW, I notice that the built-in alarm clock now supports "Current
> Playlist" and random mix playlist selections. It has everyday and
> individual days..

yup. I added those in over the last couple weeks.

> Other than the ability to set an alarm for "weekdays" and "weekends",
> is there any other functionality that your plugin adds over the
> built-in functionality?
>
snooze, a different 'now playing' display. web settings for shuffled
or not shuffled. settings for a one time only alarm, and also web
settings for a specific date only. Plus if you change just one line in
the plugin and make a copy you can create any number of alarms that
you want. This way, you could set up an entire calendar if you felt so
inclined. I'm working toward making it smaller and eventually even
easier to create new alarms. however, it is very slow going. With all
the server work, I don't even get much chance to listen to music, let
alone work on my own plugins.

-kdf

Craig, James (IT)
2005-09-23, 08:57
> I don't even get much chance to listen to music, let alone work on my
own plugins.

Don't you listen to music *while* working on SlimServer?
(I must admit though that I listen to music on iTunes while fiddling,
because you end up restarting SS so often... )

James
--------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

Philip Meyer
2005-09-23, 12:12
>snooze, a different 'now playing' display. web settings for shuffled
>or not shuffled. settings for a one time only alarm, and also web
>settings for a specific date only.
>
Hmm, I think I must have an out-dated plugin - I'll download the latest version and check it out!

I moved to using the Advanced alarm plugin because I wanted the ability to set the playlist to "random mix" or to the current playlist, which is great.

I don't use snooze or like the 'now playing' display. I believe with the standard alarm, the music turns on at the alarm time, but the remote can still be used in the standard way, eg. turn the brightness up, change the now playing display mode, drill down to song information, etc, without switching the music off.

Now the standard alarm supports individual day alarms and better playlist selections, it probably suits my needs better. However, it's a bit of a chore to have to apply settings for 5 weekdays, just so I don't get woken on my weekends! I think I'll raise an enhancement request to add "all weekdays" and "weekends" alarms to the standard alarm settings.

Thanks,
Phil

Keith
2006-02-14, 01:52
Similar issues. Have tried running 3 units for 24 hours and one has stopped the other two are OK.

Have noted that sometimes when starting a play the song will play for 30 secs to 1 min before stopping but not always and not on all the players.

The 4 unit in the bedroom seems to stop playing after about an hour when using the alrm feature.

All the players are using firmware 29 (They are all SB2s) and the server is running 6.5b1 (nightly - 13th Feb 2006)

TimM
2006-02-16, 05:54
Similar issues. Have tried running 3 units for 24 hours and one has stopped the other two are OK.

Have noted that sometimes when starting a play the song will play for 30 secs to 1 min before stopping but not always and not on all the players.

The 4 unit in the bedroom seems to stop playing after about an hour when using the alrm feature.

All the players are using firmware 29 (They are all SB2s) and the server is running 6.5b1 (nightly - 13th Feb 2006)

Hi, moved up to FW33 (6.2) a couple of days ago, with at the time no problems. This morning got pretty much the same thing, all songs play for 1 - 2 minutes and stop.

If anyone has a suggestion as to why the latest 6.2 would work perfectly 'out of the box' last night, and stall now I'd be interested.

Cheers

Tim
PS Both SB2 & 3 are stuutering on Flac files, when they don't just stop, synchronisation also falls apart - no surprise really!

Don't have time to look at this any more tonight, hoping that the 17/2 nightly is better.

Keith
2006-02-20, 11:44
I've had four units running today and I had to restart three of them. I've had a look at the task manager and noticed that there are four versions of mov123.exe but not always. At times there is only two of each running although the SB units still appear to be working. I would have thought that mov123.exe would be running constantly for each unit unless the SB units are switched off?

Dan Sully
2006-02-20, 14:34
* Keith shaped the electrons to say...

>I've had four units running today and I had to restart three of them.
>I've had a look at the task manager and noticed that there are four
>versions of mov123.exe but not always. At times there is only two of
>each running although the SB units still appear to be working. I would
>have thought that mov123.exe would be running constantly for each unit
>unless the SB units are switched off?

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed?

-D
--
<Daemon> seriously, first there was the circle, then sliced bread, then tivo

Keith
2006-02-21, 01:13
Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed?

Version 7

Keith
2006-02-24, 04:23
Still having problems with songs stopping ran debug on the server and got the following:

frame 0: Slim::DataStores::DBI::DBIStore::objectForUrl (/PerlApp/Slim/Player/Playlist.pm line 72)
frame 1: Slim::Player::Playlist::song (/PerlApp/Slim/Player/Player.pm line 1529)
frame 2: Slim::Player::Player::currentSongLines (/PerlApp/Slim/Buttons/Playlist.pm line 230)
frame 3: Slim::Buttons::Playlist::lines (/PerlApp/Slim/Display/Display.pm line 120)
frame 4: Slim::Display::Display::curLines (/PerlApp/Slim/Buttons/Playlist.pm line 98)
frame 5: Slim::Buttons::Playlist::__ANON__ (/PerlApp/Slim/Hardware/IR.pm line 716)
frame 6: Slim::Hardware::IR::executeButton (/PerlApp/Slim/Control/Commands.pm line 139)
frame 7: Slim::Control::Commands::buttonCommand (/PerlApp/Slim/Control/Request.pm line 1260)
frame 8: (eval) (/PerlApp/Slim/Control/Request.pm line 1260)
frame 9: Slim::Control::Request::execute (/PerlApp/Slim/Control/Request.pm line 611)
frame 10: Slim::Control::Request::executeRequest (/PerlApp/Slim/Player/Client.pm line 1013)
frame 11: Slim::Player::Client::execute (/PerlApp/Slim/Hardware/IR.pm line 729)
frame 12: Slim::Hardware::IR::processCode (/PerlApp/Slim/Hardware/IR.pm line 568)
frame 13: Slim::Hardware::IR::resendButton (C:/Program Files/SlimServer/server/Plugins/MusicInfoSCR.pm line 362)
frame 14: Plugins::MusicInfoSCR::__ANON__ (/PerlApp/Slim/Hardware/IR.pm line 716)
frame 15: Slim::Hardware::IR::executeButton (/PerlApp/Slim/Control/Commands.pm line 139)
frame 16: Slim::Control::Commands::buttonCommand (/PerlApp/Slim/Control/Request.pm line 1260)
frame 17: (eval) (/PerlApp/Slim/Control/Request.pm line 1260)
frame 18: Slim::Control::Request::execute (/PerlApp/Slim/Control/Request.pm line 611)
frame 19: Slim::Control::Request::executeRequest (/PerlApp/Slim/Player/Client.pm line 1013)
frame 20: Slim::Player::Client::execute (/PerlApp/Slim/Hardware/IR.pm line 729)
frame 21: Slim::Hardware::IR::processCode (/PerlApp/Slim/Hardware/IR.pm line 553)
frame 22: Slim::Hardware::IR::processIR (/PerlApp/Slim/Control/Commands.pm line 250)
frame 23: Slim::Control::Commands::irCommand (/PerlApp/Slim/Control/Request.pm line 1260)
frame 24: (eval) (/PerlApp/Slim/Control/Request.pm line 1260)
frame 25: Slim::Control::Request::execute (/PerlApp/Slim/Control/Request.pm line 611)
frame 26: Slim::Control::Request::executeRequest (/PerlApp/Slim/Player/Client.pm line 1013)
frame 27: Slim::Player::Client::execute (/PerlApp/Slim/Hardware/IR.pm line 101)
frame 28: Slim::Hardware::IR::idle (slimserver.pl line 605)
frame 29: main::idle (slimserver.pl line 38)
frame 30: PerlSvc::Startup (perlsvc.pl line 1482)
frame 31: PerlSvc::_startup (slimserver.pl line 0)
frame 32: (eval) (slimserver.pl line 0)

ERROR: Couldn't open song.

ERROR: Couldn't gotoNext, stopping

MikeGilpin
2006-03-09, 09:22
I've had this problem for a long time. Just posted this in Bugzilla for bug #1869 (hope that's the right on):

FYI, I have been encountering this same bug consistently for about a year. Ever since I got four SB2s, and integrated them on a wired (GigaBit Ethernet) network - so bandwidth is not a problem! SlimServer is running on a Mac Mini (one of the early ones) with 1GB of RAM, accessing music in high-bitrate MP3s (most scanned by the Slim Devices scanning service) stored on a separate network-attached-storage device (500 GB Cisco/Linksys).

The interesting thing (relative to this bug report) is that in my case, using the Skip key is not necessary to make the problem happen. With the four players synched, every now and then they all just freeze up. More often than not that happens when the transition from one cut to the next is being made. However, sometimes it happens in the middle of a cut.

Using the Skip key does seem to "encourage" this problem to happen, although I can't prove that, in a reproducible way. It just seems that the more often I skip, the more likely it is that a little while later, it will freeze up.

Note that when the freeze-up happens, the Mac *seems* to be OK, but in reality SlimServer is so hung up that I have to reboot the machine. I have SS running as a control-panel extension in Max OS (the latest version), and so to stop it you click a button in the control panel. Except, when this freeze-up problem has happened, when you click the Stop button, it stays gray and never "comes back". The only way to clear things out so SS will run again is to reboot the machine.

The weird thing is that sometimes SS will go for days without freezing up.
Other times it goes just 10 or 20 cuts into a playlist (most of my playlists are very large, like 3000 to 5000 cuts, and I usually play them on random by song).

Another weird potential correlation is to playing a playlist random by album (which I do for classical music playlists). For some reason this seems to raise the likelihood that the freeze up will happen.

This problem has happened for me on several versions of 6.1 including the last one, and now on several daily builds of 6.2. The one I'm on at the moment is 6_2_x_v20 06-02-20.

From time to time I become convinced that I've found some pattern of behavior that I can follow to keep it from freezing up. But each time, I eventually determine that I was wrong - the problem is pretty random. So for example, for a while I thought doing a rebuild of the music library somehow made a difference. It didn't make any sense to me (I used to be a programmer and I'm still quite technically knowledgeable, so I know how all this stuff works underneath - except I don't know the Perl language). And sure enough, earlier this week I found that despite repeated rebuilds of the library, each time I would get just a small number of cuts into the playlist, and it would freeze up.

I have tried on multiple occasions to engage with Dan or Dean to get this problem fixed, but each time have given up (sorry guys, I'm just really busy).
But if there's something I can do to help isolate the problem, I'll give it another try.

tass
2006-03-10, 05:45
I'm getting this problem when I'm NOT syncing players.
Is this a different issue? The last time it happened I was playing a FLAC file transcoded to WAV and it stopped a few minutes in.

I then tried pressing PLAY again and now the player's locked up:
Client not found for slimproto msg op: DSCO
Client not found for slimproto msg op: STAT

I was able to reset it by holding the power button.

I'll try make it happen again and get some debug output, note that this file used to play fine under 6.2 and that this is not the only file that I've seen this happen to.

tass
2006-03-10, 06:17
OK I left it playing and just watched it and it just seemed to run out of steam.
It was playing fine, then I noticed the VU meter become jumpy so I switched to the Now Playing display where the timer seemed to have stopped. The screen again stuttered a few times and then playback stopped.
There was nothing of note in the debug log - what options should I have on to see anything useful?

Yannzola
2006-03-14, 21:42
The effect is that the Now Playing screen says the track is still playing (ie. not paused or stopped), but the progress bar and time don't increase and no sound can be heard.

I've been having =exactly= this same problem lately... for the last 2-3 weeks or so. I'm not running the Alarm Clock plugin, so I don't think this is the culprit. Pressing stop, and/or skipping forward then back will usually re-start playback.

Currently running the latest 6.2.2 nightly | firmware 35

Mark
2006-03-14, 23:40
FWIW, I upgraded to yesterday's nightly and started having the same problem almost immediately with my SB3. I was able to recreate it by restarting the SB, setting it to play radom songs. After about an hour, it would stop playing (flac files). The display would indicate it was playing, but no audio indicator and no sound. I did play some music on my SB2 and it kept on going, but not long enough to be definitive. It did seem like my wireless signal strength was lower on both players, but I didn't leave the SW on long enough to be sure.

I didn't want to mess with it, so I went back to my old version of 6.2.2 (v2006-01-10) with firmware 28. Interestingly enough, I could not get the firmware in either player to downgrade. I had to uninstall SlimServer completely and then re-install 6.2.2. That was not how I expected it to work. Luckily before I completely uninstalled Slim Server, I found a post that recommended saving out my slimserver.pref file, so I didn't lose my preferences.

Yannzola
2006-03-15, 05:38
I've been having =exactly= this same problem lately... for the last 2-3 weeks or so. I'm not running the Alarm Clock plugin, so I don't think this is the culprit. Pressing stop, and/or skipping forward then back will usually re-start playback.

Currently running the latest 6.2.2 nightly | firmware 35
To clarify: I only have one Squeezebox... so I don't think the issue has anything to do with synching multiple machines. In addition, the problem occurs while listening to FLAC's decoded onboard (default)

tass
2006-03-15, 23:31
I found I only get this problem when using WPA2. As soon as I switched back to WPA or wired it worked fine.

Yannzola
2006-03-20, 18:52
I found I only get this problem when using WPA2. As soon as I switched back to WPA or wired it worked fine.

I use 128 bit WEP, and still experience the problem above.

Keith
2006-03-21, 08:20
Are you running playlists within iTunes?

Just that I've been trying to understand if the issue was a wireless issue.

Have now proved that this (wireless) isn't the case. It seems that as long as I don't use the iTunes play lists everything runs smoothly.

I've had four units running for the last four hours on wireless without a problem whereas when using the iTunes playlists I managed about 30 minutes before a failure.

It did seem more accute when running the same playlist on more than one machine but that could be just coincidence.

I've only used a couple of my iTunes playlists but the 'Last 28 Days' seems to have the desired effect of stopping the song.

I would have thought that the playlists would just be treated as a list of songs and there specific location so why does this effect the units?

Keith
2006-03-21, 14:55
I certainly tempted fate there, three of the units stopped after a number of hours woking fine, please see my comments under the article on Buffer Underrun.

Keith
2006-03-24, 02:08
See the post in buffer underrun.

Have forced 6.5b1 to use firmware 28 and things have been running smoothly for 14 hours...

jarome
2006-03-24, 07:00
Using yesterday's build for Linux, I see my softsqueeze just stop playing in the middle of a track. It then goes non-responsive and I have to kill it. MP3 songs.

Maybe it is 6.5 beta.

This is on my desktop, so it is not on wireless.

MikeGilpin
2006-03-25, 08:14
I also use iTunes playlists. But my multiple players (4 SB2s) are all hard-wired, so it's not a network issue. Unless Gigabit Ethernet is too fast!

I think that an earlier post in this or a similar thread may have tagged the real issue: Skip. I've been avoiding using Skip (hitting the FFwd button to skip to the next track), and have been running on and off for over a week without any "stops playing" issues.

So maybe there's some interaction between the Skip function, and the way playlists get built in the library when they come from iTunes.

abscissa
2006-04-22, 11:02
Has this issue been resolved? Can someone tell me how to fix this issue? I have a SB3 and am experiencing the same problem. My music would stop playing at random. I do not use iTunes, no alarm clock plugin, and I only have one Squeezebox.

Thanks.

abscissa
2006-04-22, 11:17
By the way, Keith, where can I find this Buffer Underrun post you are talking about?

Thanks.

bgriffis
2006-04-22, 12:49
It seems that lots of people have been having issues with either their SB stopping randomly or stuttering. From what I gather much of this stems from a bug where the SB buffer does not fill up and therefore it's very easy to have a buffer underrun.

You can get the latest firmware (45 at time of post) here:

http://svn.slimdevices.com/trunk/server/Firmware/

Note that you need to click on the link in the "Rev" column to download the squeezebox2_xx.bin file. (SB2 and SB3 use the same firmware.) You may also want to get the Firmware Selector Tool mentioned in the following thread.

Firmware Selector Tool:
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=26453&sid=eac24c80fa7e5bc7420ca9a6320064a7

It makes it very easy to get SlimServer to use the bin file you downloaded. I've been having stopping/stuttering problems for the last few months and FINALLY it is fixed with these latest firmware upgrades. Hopefully it fixes your issues too.

Brad

abscissa
2006-04-22, 12:54
Thanks, Brad! I will give FW45 a shot.

bgriffis
2006-04-22, 12:58
Good luck, abscissa! I hope it fixes your problem. Let us know how it goes!

Philip Meyer
2006-04-22, 13:06
>Why is it that the buffer empties at the end of every song?
I was wondering this myself. It's always been that way; maybe there was a reason in the past, but it can be changed in the future?

I seem to recall that when this was mentioned in the past, one reason was something to do with syncing players. Songs resync at the start of each track. However, if synching is not turned on, I can't see why the next track can't be pre-filled in the buffer.

Phil

Philip Meyer
2006-04-26, 11:54
>The output buffer, which contains decoded audio, and
>is about 10 seconds in duration, plays out while the next track loads.
>
What if slimserver is streaming higher sample rates (or surround sound for digital out) - does the buffer still hold 10 secs?

Does the Now Playing Buffer Fullness display include the output buffer, or is this just an indication of the input buffer?

Keith
2006-05-01, 03:28
By the way, Keith, where can I find this Buffer Underrun post you are talking about?

Thanks.

Sorry it was called Decoder Underrun you can find it in the Beta forum.

Having said this I have been playing with firmware 45 and 48, 45 seems slightly better although I still get the odd failure.

One think that did help was to delete the data base file (slimserversql.db) and force the system to rebuild it.

Keith