PDA

View Full Version : Roku Clock Radio

superbad
2005-09-19, 08:25
Looks like Roku has been thinking about the all-in-one market as well:
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000243059438/

Problems I see with this implementation:
(ignoring the problems inherent to Roku's approach in general)

1. It's ugly as sin.
2. Looks big.
3. It's expensive.

Is a VFD really necessary (or even desirable) for something that sits next to your bed?

I would love to see Slim Devices do something like this, but do it right. Whether the market is really there to make it worthwhile, I don't know. But I'd buy a couple if they came in under $300.

CardinalFang
2005-09-19, 09:27
1. It's ugly as sin.
2. Looks big.
3. It's expensive.

It doesn't have DAB - there's no way in the UK I'd buy a radio costing that much without support for digital radio. OK, I know you can stream most of the stations, but it does chew up bandwidth on your connection. Also, there was a Sony announced a couple of months back that looked similar, but better designed. I wonder what happened to that?

My 2p on this product: I think this could be an inflection point, if Roku are going downmarket with clock radios etc., surely there is an opening for Slim to move up the audiophile end of the market with a uprated component in standard sized case with higher quality components. Also, the audiophile seperates market isn't an area where others are pushing their technology and one where there are higher margins and where Far Eastern competition won't be so strong.

Mind you, I'm not in the consumer electronics business, so what do I know :-)

Paul

abdomen
2005-09-19, 09:47
Seeing that product announcement made me think about how I might use the Squeezebox2's alarm functionality once I buy one for the bedroom. It struck me that it would be helpful to have the ability in the Slimserver UI to configure an alarm to be preceded by one or more IR blaster commands. The use I have in mind for this is to turn on the amplifier at wakeup time rather than leaving it on all night. If others would use this feature, I would be glad to file an enhancement bug for this.

abdomen
2005-09-19, 09:57
Hmm, it just occurred to me that Felix's IR blaster plugin may already do what I suggested above (I don't run the nightlies, so I haven't tried). Does anyone know whether Power On events configured in the IR blaster plugin UI are triggered when an alarm occurs (as opposed to only when the Power button on the remote is used)?

IR blaster plugin:
http://www.gwendesign.com/slimserver/dev_hard_and_software.htm#irblaster

kolepard
2005-09-19, 10:52
> 1. It's ugly as sin.

Agreed.

> 2. Looks big.

Not necessarily bad. To some extend bigger is better. I'm really
more interested in a boom-box than a clock radio. I'd love to have
my luggable Bose with a built-in SB2.

> 3. It's expensive.

True.

Kevin
--
Kevin O. Lepard
kolepard (AT) charter (DOT) net

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.

ymilner
2005-09-19, 12:24
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=16483

fcm4711
2005-09-19, 13:47
Hmm, it just occurred to me that Felix's IR blaster plugin may already do what I suggested above (I don't run the nightlies, so I haven't tried). Does anyone know whether Power On events configured in the IR blaster plugin UI are triggered when an alarm occurs (as opposed to only when the Power button on the remote is used)?

IR blaster plugin:
http://www.gwendesign.com/slimserver/dev_hard_and_software.htm#irblaster

Definitely. :) Everytime SB2 is turned on (by remote, web-interface or alarm) the IR signals listed under Power On: are triggered.

Felix

abdomen
2005-09-19, 14:09
Definitely. :) Everytime SB2 is turned on (by remote, web-interface or alarm) the IR signals listed under Power On: are triggered.

Awesome. Thanks for the scoop!

CardinalFang
2005-09-20, 01:06
Also, there was a Sony announced a couple of months back that looked similar, but better designed. I wonder what happened to that?

http://www.sony-europe.com/PageView.do?site=odw_en_EU&page=PressReleaseDetail&section=en_EU_Press&pressrelease=1109586898095

165 - to my mind this blows the Roku away in the design stakes.

Paul

conger
2005-09-20, 01:08
The new Roku Clock Radio is a very interesting product. It does stuff that the SlimDevice does not do. I.e. it is a stand alone alarm clock with built in speakers. Open the box and fire it up and away you go to stream any of the 50 built in internet radio stations. Hook it up to iTunes, WM10, SlimServer, TwonkyVision, etc and stream just about anything except DRM content. The technical term for these capabillities is "bloody good".

I think that this product will appeal to a very different but potentially much bigger market that the Slim or SoundBridge products. Yes, it is expensive. It has to be big to include a large enough bass speaker.

conger
2005-09-20, 01:17
http://www.sony-europe.com/PageView.do?site=odw_en_EU&page=PressReleaseDetail&section=en_EU_Press&pressrelease=1109586898095

165 - to my mind this blows the Roku away in the design stakes.

Paul

This Sony device certainly looks good. However, there is no WiFi built into it and it relies on their own server SW. So this does not compete with the Roku. Sony makes great products but absolutely crap SW. They have recently killed off the dreadfull Sonic Stage application. It think this may be another great Sony product ruined by the Sony SW. Why do they need their own server SW when they could use iTunes directly? Stupid decision.

CardinalFang
2005-09-20, 01:34
This Sony device certainly looks good. However, there is no WiFi built into it and it relies on their own server SW. So this does not compete with the Roku. Sony makes great products but absolutely crap SW. They have recently killed off the dreadfull Sonic Stage application. It think this may be another great Sony product ruined by the Sony SW. Why do they need their own server SW when they could use iTunes directly? Stupid decision.

You could always add WiFi with a bridge if you needed it.

Here's more details:

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowArticle.action?section=en_GB_Products&article=1121156656253&productcategory=%2FAudio%2FHiFi+Systems%2FHFS+CD+M usic+System&productmodel=%2FAudio%2FHiFi+Systems%2FHFS+CD+Musi c+System%2FNAS-CZ1&productsku=NASCZ1.CEK&site=odw_en_GB

The M-Crew server software is a bit like SlimServer, but I read on one site that it's Windows 2000 only! Plus bugs won't get fixed that quickly being as there's no community around it.

My comments really centred on the look of the thing, I think it's a much better design that the Roku, more stylish and would fit better in many room settings. If I hadn't installed ceiling speakers in my kitchen I would definitely consider one of these, as it is I'll be putting a wireless SB2 in there sometime.

Paul

jmpage2
2005-09-20, 07:11
You could always add WiFi with a bridge if you needed it.

Here's more details:

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowArticle.action?section=en_GB_Products&article=1121156656253&productcategory=%2FAudio%2FHiFi+Systems%2FHFS+CD+M usic+System&productmodel=%2FAudio%2FHiFi+Systems%2FHFS+CD+Musi c+System%2FNAS-CZ1&productsku=NASCZ1.CEK&site=odw_en_GB

The M-Crew server software is a bit like SlimServer, but I read on one site that it's Windows 2000 only! Plus bugs won't get fixed that quickly being as there's no community around it.

My comments really centred on the look of the thing, I think it's a much better design that the Roku, more stylish and would fit better in many room settings. If I hadn't installed ceiling speakers in my kitchen I would definitely consider one of these, as it is I'll be putting a wireless SB2 in there sometime.

Paul

The bigger threat to Slim right now is probably the Sonos product, which is essentially a self contained network speaker system with a wireless graphic display controller.

It's not cheap, but all the reviewers are absolutely thrilled with it, referring to it as the "cadillac" of home network music systems.

OperaBen
2006-03-08, 07:58

Felix

Really? I just configured my IR blaster plug-in with the latest version plug-in & SlimServer 6.2.2 build 6491. The power on sequence works for remote power button, but not the alarm.

Has anyone have the same problem? Thanks.