PDA

View Full Version : How to get 6.1.1 to run as a service like 5.

William
2005-09-17, 10:01
I have been using version 5 and would like to update to version 6 but every time I install it loses my playlist and music library. iTunes program and SlimServer are located on computer Main and the iTunes music library is located on computer Server (Z:/Music). On main computer under Control Panel; Services; SlimServer; Log On I select This account and type in the name and restart. SlimServer system tray icon flashes and says SlimServer is starting but it never starts. I have to use System Restore to go back to version 5 which works. What an I doing wrong?

mherger
2005-09-17, 10:12
> I have been using version 5 and would like to update to version 6 but
> every time I install it loses my playlist and music library. iTunes
> program and SlimServer are located on computer Main and the iTunes
> music library is located on computer Server (Z:/Music). On main
> computer under Control Panel; Services; SlimServer; Log On I select
> This account and type in the name and restart. SlimServer system tray
> icon flashes and says SlimServer is starting but it never starts. I
> have to use System Restore to go back to version 5 which works. What
> an I doing wrong?

Even when run with your login, the service does not see drive letters.
You'd rather have to use the \\server\share as a music path.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

William
2005-09-17, 10:36
Even when run with your login, the service does not see drive letters.
You'd rather have to use the \\server\share as a music path.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)
Don't really understand what you are saying. I went back and changed to Local System Account so I could start SlimServer. I than changed Server Setting; iTunes Music Folder to \\server\share and then reset Services's log on and SlimServer still will not start. How do I get ver 6 to work like ver 5?

JJZolx
2005-09-17, 10:57
Don't really understand what you are saying. I went back and changed to Local System Account so I could start SlimServer. I than changed Server Setting; iTunes Music Folder to \\server\share and then reset Services's log on and SlimServer still will not start. How do I get ver 6 to work like ver 5?
Mapped network drive letters are difficult to get working with a Windows service. Use \\server\share naming convention instead. But you'll have to change the service user from the Local System account to some user on the machine in order to access anything on the network. That combo - user account and UNC share name should do it. If it doesn't work, then look very carefully at your share permissions and at the folder & file permissions on the music folder.

William
2005-09-17, 14:03
I still don't really understand because I seem to have everything correct. Why does ver 5 work as a network server and ver 6 won't? All drives have permission and ver 5 has no problem seeing and accessing across the network. When I install ver 6 way doesn't it just use the setting for version 5 and work? Looks like System Restore agian. When will a new version of SlimServer come out that is compatible with version 5 settings?

JJZolx
2005-09-17, 14:22
I still don't really understand because I seem to have everything correct. Why does ver 5 work as a network server and ver 6 won't? All drives have permission and ver 5 has no problem seeing and accessing across the network. When I install ver 6 way doesn't it just use the setting for version 5 and work? Looks like System Restore agian. When will a new version of SlimServer come out that is compatible with version 5 settings?
Maybe the problem starting the service has nothing to do with using a network share as the Music Folder. Try using a local folder and see if it runs.

Neil Sleightholm
2005-09-18, 10:07
You should also check the Event Log to see if there are any errors when the service starts.