PDA

View Full Version : FLAC with embedded cuesheet

yomoyo
2005-09-15, 14:31
I keep most of my music in single file CD images
encoded in FLAC with embedded cuesheets. It looks that slimserver has issues with these files. When I open such file, slimserver does not start playing it immediately, but process it for 20-30 seconds.
Then it opens two additional flac jobs (for encoding/decoding the file) on the server machine, so the native FLAC support does not seem to work. On the other hand, CDs encoded into multiple FLAC files for each track work perfectly.

I have slimserver on Linkstation running Debian Linux. This is a very underpowered system
(CPU 200Mhz, RAM 64MB), but it is good enough for slimserver. I am trying to keep its resources to the minimum, so I don't need two additional flac jobs. Originaly I had slimserver 6.1.1. Then I upgraded to the latest beta version but still have this problem.

Is there a way to fix this without breaking CD images into multiple flac files? Thank you.

radish
2005-09-15, 17:19
I keep most of my music in single file CD images
encoded in FLAC with embedded cuesheets. It looks that slimserver has issues with these files. When I open such file, slimserver does not start playing it immediately, but process it for 20-30 seconds.
Then it opens two additional flac jobs (for encoding/decoding the file) on the server machine, so the native FLAC support does not seem to work. On the other hand, CDs encoded into multiple FLAC files for each track work perfectly.

I have slimserver on Linkstation running Debian Linux. This is a very underpowered system
(CPU 200Mhz, RAM 64MB), but it is good enough for slimserver. I am trying to keep its resources to the minimum, so I don't need two additional flac jobs. Originaly I had slimserver 6.1.1. Then I upgraded to the latest beta version but still have this problem.

Is there a way to fix this without breaking CD images into multiple flac files? Thank you.

Basically, no. The FLAC support embedded in the player doesn't understand cue sheets, so when the server finds such a file it starts the two flac jobs you see to split it into seperate files, and then streams those to the player. There's probably an enhancement request to add cue support to the player, so go vote for it (or raise one if it's not already there).

BTW: that server is very underpowered, I would suspect you may well have issues running slimserver on it. For example - my server takes 66mb when idle, which is more than you have physical. Trying to stream and do a lot of paging at the same time will end in tears.

yomoyo
2005-09-15, 17:53
Thanks for the reply. Is there a way to play a CD image just as one large FLAC track natively and prevent slimserver from opening these two flac jobs, even if there is an embedded cuesheet? I usually like to listen to whole CDs and don't worry much about particular tracks. I'd be happy with this temporary solution before a proper cuesheet support is implemented.

radish
2005-09-15, 19:38
I'm not 100% sure this will work, but try it.

If you open up convert.conf in your server directory you'll find an entry like this:

flc flc transcode *
[flac] -dcs --skip=$START$ --until=$END$ -- $FILE$ | [flac] -cs --totally-silent --compression-level-0 -

If you comment it out (put a "#" symbol at the start of each line) and restart the server, I think that'll do it.

yomoyo
2005-09-15, 21:01
This works.