PDA

View Full Version : Advice on iBook setup



konut
2005-09-15, 09:33
I have been lurking on the Audiophile forum since I learned of the advantages of the SB2 in the Audiocircles website. I presently own an iBook 600 dual USB(with firewire) running OSX 10.2.8. My cd-r rom/dvd read drive does not work. I recently purchased a Maxtor internal 250gb 16mb cache hard disc that I have yet to buy an external enclosure for. I will eventually buy an SB2 and have it moddified by Red Wine Audio. These are my questions, in no particular order.
1. Are there any quality CD or DVD/CD firewire drives which include software equivalent to EAC for OSX 10.2.8?
2. Can anyone recommend an external firewire enclosure for use with the 250GB Maxtor HD?
3. What specific piece of equipment will I need to stream wirelessly to the SB2?
I am interested in the highest quality audio reproduction and gather that the FLAC format will offer the best use of the wireless bandwidth vs. quality.
4. Is there an application that will convert the ripped audio file in OSX 10.2.8 to FLAC without going into using terminal, scripts, or other such gyrations? (Although fairly conversant with high end audio subjects, I am strictly a consumer when it comes to software)
5. Are there any other issues I should be aware of, either hardware or software, in implementing the use of the SB2?
Thank you in advance.

gandt
2005-09-16, 03:04
1) not sure what you mean but see comments below on lossless AAC
2) I have used this http://www.dealtime.com/xPO-Belkin_BELKIN_USB_2_0_IEEE_1394_HD and though inelegent i think it should work OK
3) For wireless streaming you need a wireless card in or connected to your mac (probably airport) but assuming you have broadband then also a wireless router would be a good plan - adsl or cable depending on what you have, probably if you want to maximise performance something like the Belkin pre-N router connected to a cable modem . FLAC is probably most popular choice for file format but by far the easiest (still audiophile) choice is just to use itunes and lossless AAC - I don't think anyone has suggested that FLAC is "better" than this except in the "open source" and "bandwidth efficiency" sense (lossless is lossless basically) - i dont belittle these aspects but for a mac owner the lossless aac option is damn handy and easy
4) the ripping is the thing - best to make a decision before you rip you can live with - you can convert from one thing to another but usually there is some kind of quality cost - you would rip to Flac as a first step if that is what you chose
5) Some of the things that people love on the boards like Alien BBC are pretty difficult to get going on a mac and you might find it frustrating if this is important to you. Basic functions are painless however...


someone is now going to post about how propietorial AAC is...and how easy it is to use FLAC on a Mac

radish
2005-09-16, 06:53
someone is now going to post about how propietorial AAC is...and how easy it is to use FLAC on a Mac

I'm not going to do any such thing. But I am going to point out that Apple Lossless != AAC, and that Apple Lossless _is_ proprietary. Whether that matters to you is your concern of course. The other thing I'd point out is that while for practical purposes there's little difference between FLAC and Apple Lossless, there is a big difference in rip quality between EAC and iTunes. There's no point using lossless compression if your original rips had flaws.

gandt
2005-09-16, 07:14
I dunno if i have golden ears or not - I certainly have noticed differences between audio kit and have a decent set up (involving tact room correction and so on) and I can't honestly say I can tell any difference between lossless rips in itunes and using EAC (used EAC on windows pc before i went mac-ward). I can tell differences between cables but that eluded me. Not brave enough to say "there is no difference" just that "I can't hear it" (though difference between say mp3 192 and Flac I can easily hear) and I kinda doubt there are many that can - again assuming lossless both ways.

Robin Bowes
2005-09-16, 07:34
gandt wrote:
> I dunno if i have golden ears or not - I certainly have noticed
> differences between audio kit and have a decent set up (involving tact
> room correction and so on) and I can't honestly say I can tell any
> difference between lossless rips in itunes and using EAC (used EAC on
> windows pc before i went mac-ward). I can tell differences between
> cables but that eluded me. Not brave enough to say "there is no
> difference" just that "I can't hear it" (though difference between say
> mp3 192 and Flac I can easily hear) and I kinda doubt there are many
> that can - again assuming lossless both ways.

It's not the case that there *are* difference between iTunes rips and
EAC rips, more that there *might* be differences and that EAC guarantees
an accurate rip and tells you if there are any problems.

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com

If a man speaks in a forest,
and his wife's not there,
is he still wrong?

gandt
2005-09-16, 08:53
it seems this thread needs an answer to this then: what would help this guy make a choice (itunes easy but non-certainness vs EAC like certainty) is if somebody could tell him the best way the achieve EAC like perfection/ ripping certainty on a Mac - a question to which i dont know the answer...

graham

Robin Bowes
2005-09-16, 11:49
gandt said the following on 16/09/2005 16:53:
> it seems this thread needs an answer to this then: what would help this
> guy make a choice (itunes easy but non-certainness vs EAC like
> certainty) is if somebody could tell him the best way the achieve EAC
> like perfection/ ripping certainty on a Mac - a question to which i
> dont know the answer...

Graham,

I'd love to help but I'm afraid I'm a Windows/Linux guy. I'm sure some
Mac expert will be able to help you.

R.

--
http://robinbowes.com

If a man speaks in a forest,
and his wife's not there,
is he still wrong?

konut
2005-09-16, 19:25
Thanks for the discussion guys. At this point I've come to the conclusion that the Mac is just not user friendly with the SB2. I value the ability to get bit perfect rips that OSX does not seem to offer yet. You'd think with all the audio work that gets done on Macs these days that by now this situation would not exist. I'm facing the prospect then of getting a Windows machine that is just dedicated for SB2 and audio use, which should be easier and cheaper in the long run. I'll probably start another thread on the minimum requirements ie. chip selection, amount of RAM, video card, operating system, etc. that would get me up and running with the SB2.
If I've reached this conclusion erroneously, please point out the flaws in my logic.

dean
2005-09-16, 19:47
OSX will provide bit perfect rips and iTunes has a pretty darned good
ripper.

SlimServer runs well on OSX (at least as well as on Windows).

An iBook may not be the best server, especially if you tend to put it
to sleep or take it out of the house.

If you are interested in encoding in FLAC, then you'll have to forgo
using iTunes to organize your music, but you may be able to use it to
rip to WAV or AIFF before you convert and your choices for music
management software is more limited.

If you are interested in using MP3 then iTunes is a pretty solid choice.



On Sep 16, 2005, at 7:25 PM, konut wrote:

>
> Thanks for the discussion guys. At this point I've come to the
> conclusion that the Mac is just not user friendly with the SB2. I
> value
> the ability to get bit perfect rips that OSX does not seem to offer
> yet.
> You'd think with all the audio work that gets done on Macs these days
> that by now this situation would not exist. I'm facing the prospect
> then of getting a Windows machine that is just dedicated for SB2 and
> audio use, which should be easier and cheaper in the long run. I'll
> probably start another thread on the minimum requirements ie. chip
> selection, amount of RAM, video card, operating system, etc. that
> would
> get me up and running with the SB2.
> If I've reached this conclusion erroneously, please point out
> the flaws in my logic.
>
>
> --
> konut
>

konut
2005-09-20, 17:04
Does anyone have any experience with MacFLAC, FLACer, xACT, or FLAC 1.1.2?

danco
2005-09-21, 01:28
as far as I am aware, xACT is the best and easiest