PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Unable to get any digital output

JulianL
2005-09-14, 18:05
Oh boy. I was really hoping I wasn't going to end up making one of these sort of posts but..... I just got my new SB2 and I can't get it to work.

Initially I couldn't connect to my wireless access point but I managed to get round that by flipping the access point into 802.11g-only mode at which point the SB2 connected. I then flipped it back to mixed mode (because I have 802.11b PDAs that need access) but the SB2 still seems happy and I'm getting music playing on the headphones and on the analogue outputs but I can't get anything out of either the optical or the coax digital outputs. This is a show stopper for me since my main hi fi only takes digital inputs.

Any ideas? This looks like it must be a hardware fault to me. Am I just being dumb and have I missed a setting somewhere to enable the digital outputs? Am I safe in assuming that if I hear the music playing out of the headphone and analogue outputs then the problem definitely lies within the SB2 box itself and couldn't possibly still be related to the wireless glitches I had when first setting it up?

- Julian

seanadams
2005-09-14, 19:39
There aren't any settings or "gotchas" on the Squeezebox2 side. Double-check the receiver and contact support@slimdevices.com if it's still not going.

radish
2005-09-14, 21:14
What source are you using for music? Ripped files or streaming radio? If the latter, I believe some streams won't play through the digital outs as the sample frequency is wrong. Or maybe that only applies to SB1, I forget. Anyhow, try it with a regular FLAC or MP3 file if you haven't already.

JulianL
2005-09-15, 05:47
It is all FLAC ripped from CDs with EAC.

I did send email to support yesterday but I think I just missed their close of business yesterday (which isn't bad going given I'm in the UK and they're in California).

- Julian

JulianL
2005-09-15, 11:08
Is there any chance this problem could be firmware of FPGA related? I have emailed support last night but I see that a few Slim Devices folks are active on this forum at the moment so maybe it is easier to try and diagnose the problem here.

- Julian

JulianL
2005-09-15, 18:17
Wheeee.... now I'm excited!!!! Kevin P from Slim Devices support got me up and running on his first attempt at diagnosing the problem. It was a corruption in the Xilinx CPLD so reprogramming it did the trick. I also noticed that after the reprogramming my SB2 found my wireless access point with no trouble whereas the first time I set it up I had a lot of problems (I eventually had to put the access point into 802.11g only mode before it would connect) so I think that problem is fixed too.

Thanks for the various bits of advice everyone.

- Julian

seanadams
2005-09-15, 19:17
Weird. We'll look into this.

Glad it's working.