PDA

View Full Version : Hook up both amp & speakers to rca jacks, and selfpowered speakers to 1/8" jack

rme
2005-09-12, 21:50
title says it all,

I know the answer is probably try it an see, but I thought, prior to running out and buying the self powered speakers I would ask here first.

I plan on hooking up my SB2 to nuforce ref8 amps thru rca jacks and then on to kef reference speakers.

Can I also on the same sb2, use the 1/8" jack and hook up a 25' cable to a separate set of self powered speakers (computer type) in another room?

Will that screw up the output levels on the rca jacks?

Anyone know if the 25' run on the cable to the self powered speakers is effective or too far?

Thanks for any help or ideas.

radish
2005-09-13, 08:20
Some devices switch off the RCA outputs when you connect something to the headphone jack, assuming that you don't want to listen to both at the same time. I don't know if the SB2 does this or not. If not, I don't see any reason you can't use both at once, particularly as the second speakers will be self powered, and thus won't pull too much from the jack.

jonwb
2005-09-13, 08:58
Should work... the RCA output jacks and the headphone jack each have thier own power supplies (internal to the unit).

slimpy
2005-09-13, 09:03
I plugged some active speakers into the headphone jack a couple of days ago - it sounded terrible. Hooked up to the RCA jacks they sounded great though.
I might be wrong (please correct me if I am) but this could be caused by the low impedance of the speakers (the headphone jack expects a minimum impedance of 16 ohms according to the product info page).

s.

audiofi
2005-09-13, 09:39
Another option would be to get some powered speakers with digital inputs (Edirol do them and I imagine creative etc. do as well) and then use analogue RCA for the hifi and digital for the powered speakers.

Andrew

rme
2005-09-13, 09:43
Another option would be to get some powered speakers with digital inputs (Edirol do them and I imagine creative etc. do as well) and then use analogue RCA for the hifi and digital for the powered speakers.

Andrew
how far can you run the following effectively to your mentioned powered speakers:
- coax digital cable?
- optical digital cable?

pfarrell
2005-09-13, 10:19
On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 09:39 -0700, audiofi wrote:
> Another option would be to get some powered speakers with digital inputs
> (Edirol do them and I imagine creative etc. do as well) and then use
> analogue RCA for the hifi and digital for the powered speakers.

That might be an option, but you'd lose the quality DAC in the SB2.
The one in any Creative Labs product is unlikely to be as
high quality and well designed, because that is not their
market. Of course, they sell so much stuff, they could
end up using good stuff or paying a good engineer.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

audiofi
2005-09-13, 11:38
The Squeezebox DAC will be better than any in these speakers, but whether you would actually notice the difference on a set of PC style active speakers is questionable (in my opinion of course)

I have found Edirol speakers to be the better of the cheaper active ones and still having a decent DAC built in:
http://www.edirol.it/europe/details.asp?ct=3&gid=21&gruppo=Active+Monitor+Speakers&id=12&la=UK&code=222

I do have a set of these spare which I have had a couple of enquiries about, but if they fall through I will let you know.

Andrew

rme
2005-09-13, 19:27
Anyone know the voltage out on the 1/8" headphone line?

I am looking at the swan m200 selfpowered speakers and I think that the analog line in on them is 800mV