PDA

View Full Version : Album Art problem

nicketynick
2005-09-12, 08:46
Hi all,
Total newbie here - just getting started with Slimserver - before I start ripping all my CDs I've been trying to familiarize myself while cleaning up the variety of mp3s etc. on the box. I've been using Windows Media Player to get album art etc (its seems to be the easiest - tell me if I'm missing the boat!), but Slimserver doesn't seem to like it. Before the wife kicked me off the computer last night, if I Browsed by Album Art in Slimserver (even after rescanning the library), almost all the albums showed as the last one I'd updated in MediaPlayer.
Now I'm stuck here at work all day, and don't have the patience to wait until tonight to try to figure it out. Anybody have any idea where I'm going wrong? I'm fairly certain its something easy - I just don't have a clue what I'm about!

Thanks!

kdf
2005-09-12, 09:39
Quoting nicketynick <nicketynick.1v96db (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Hi all,
> Total newbie here - just getting started with Slimserver - before I
> start ripping all my CDs I've been trying to familiarize myself while
> cleaning up the variety of mp3s etc. on the box. I've been using
> Windows Media Player to get album art etc (its seems to be the easiest
> - tell me if I'm missing the boat!), but Slimserver doesn't seem to
> like it. Before the wife kicked me off the computer last night, if I
> Browsed by Album Art in Slimserver (even after rescanning the library),
> almost all the albums showed as the last one I'd updated in
> MediaPlayer.
> Now I'm stuck here at work all day, and don't have the patience to wait
> until tonight to try to figure it out. Anybody have any idea where I'm
> going wrong? I'm fairly certain its something easy - I just don't have
> a clue what I'm about!

Slimserver looks for the artwork inside the tags of the files, or as cover.jpg
or folder.jpg in the same directory as the file. If you have all your tracks
in the same directory, then you would see this kind of problem. I'm not sure if
WMP adds the art to tags. Browse Artwork thumbnails are also collected as a
separate process after a rescan, so you do need to start a full rescan of your
library to get all the artwork sorted.

It might also help others to help you, if you mention the version of slimserver
that you are using.

-kdf

nicketynick
2005-09-12, 10:20
Thanks kdf.

I am using the official release of about a week ago - 6.1.1 I believe.
This is just a miscellaneous bunch of tracks in one folder. I'm pretty sure there are no jpg's in there. There are a few tracks showing correct art, that I must have added to the tags (and one full album in its own directory that has the right art, although there is no jpg)
I'm assuming here that if there are no jpgs, the art must be in the tag?
A rescan shouldn't take more than a minute or so with ~150 tracks, should it? Apparently Slimserver doesn't tell you when its done, so I keep wondering if I'm cutting it off somehow.

Thanks a bunch!
(can't wait to have this sorted out so I can justify the $$ to get the SB2!)

kdf
2005-09-12, 10:33
Quoting nicketynick <nicketynick.1v9arp (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> I am using the official release of about a week ago - 6.1.1 I believe.

6.1.1 is actually many weeks old. July 21.

> I'm assuming here that if there are no jpgs, the art must be in the
> tag?

most likely, yes.

> A rescan shouldn't take more than a minute or so with ~150 tracks,
> should it? Apparently Slimserver doesn't tell you when its done, so I
> keep wondering if I'm cutting it off somehow.

The web UI shows a warning when you try to browse if the scanning is still
going. 150 tracks probably doesn't take long enough to run into that.

I would recommend trying the 6.1.2 beta builds. It should have some better
performance with tagged artwork.

http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/6.1.2/
-kdf

nicketynick
2005-09-13, 18:36
I have changed the artwork on the offending file, and rescanned, but somehow the same old artwork is still showing up for pretty much every album (although they are fine in Windows Media Player. Is this perhaps a bug in the database - its not properly reading the tags and storing them?
Any other suggestions at all? This should be a simple functionality.
I'm running 6.1.1 - has there been significant work since on album artwork?
Thanks.

nicketynick
2005-09-13, 18:44
Update - I've moved the offending file to a subdirectory, and when I rescanned, all album art is now the most recent artwork that I added to the tag in WMP. What the heck?
Btw, there are absolutely no picture files (jpg or other) in the music directory. I'm stumped!
I couldn't find a matching bug report - I'm going to go check the release notes on the betas.

gandt
2005-09-14, 05:46
Using the 6.2 nightly from two nights ago I have a similar issue to report (I am using OSX) eventually with the odd rescan or two and occasional complete wipe I can get all my albums to show up but I have not seen newly added album art for proably the last three weeks - something to do with a change of scan technique? Ive checked the folders - i use itunes management. Each folder (more or less) has a file called folder.jpg in it with art downloaded from the same place and then correctly located using the itunes front end (and prior to that an album art tool) - once or twice its been cut and pasted by me. But for some reason slim can never "find" newer artwork no matter what - and that includes at least two complete reinstalls when ive changed nightlies.

GoCubs
2005-09-14, 07:30
I'm not sure if this is what is happening, but I know ITunes allows you to have more than one piece of art tagged per file. Perhaps Slim is only showing the first it finds. In ITunes if you right click on a song and "Get Info" it'll show all the tagged artwork for the file and allow you to delete images.

Hope this helps
-Greg

nicketynick
2005-09-15, 05:23
Well, I updated to the 6.2 nightly last night, and still the same problem. I'm starting to think that Windows Media Player 9 and Slimserver aren't talking properly during the library scan. I'm thinking I'll try a different music manager - any suggestions?
Kevin at tech support is having a look - maybe he'll come up with something!

MrC
2005-09-15, 08:42
nicketynick, WMP and SlimServer work fine together. WMP creates a Folder.jpg. But it also creates two more, resized images, and uses those internally.

You can see these by opening up your music folder, and going to the Tools->Folder Options menu and selecting the View tab.

Turn on the option:

Show hidden files and folders

and turn off the options

Hide extensions for known file types
Hide protected operation systems files (Recommended)

Now you can see the various files created by WMP.

If you have all your music from various albums in a single folder, then when you update your music via WMP, the Folder.jpg file is overwritten with the current artwork, and two additional files that look something like:

AlbumArt_{2D13B39D-2F86-41EE-A895-5022E0578627}_Large.jpg
AlbumArt_{2D13B39D-2F86-41EE-A895-5022E0578627}_Small.jpg

will be created. SlimServer does not use these latter images, rather it uses the just overwritten Folder.jpg. Hence, the problem.

You need to place your tracks such that they reside in an album and artist hierarchy, so that Folder.jpg can be unique for each artist/album combination.

nicketynick
2005-09-15, 10:13
Thanks MrC!
I made sure I was viewing hidden files/folders, and extensions, but I didn't unhide protected operating system files! I guess this is where the jpgs have been hidden! I'll check it out when I get home tonight. If so, I guess I have 2 options:
1. go through and create directories for all these songs as you suggest, or
2. use a different music manager that puts the artwork right in the tag (instead of creating another .jpg) I'm pretty sure this is possible, as there are one or two albums still working - I think I must have tagged these with Nero - but I'm open to suggestions as to what music manager to use. Anybody??

MrC
2005-09-15, 10:35
You're welcome.

WMP will automatically create folders based on albums and artists, and place tracks and artwork correctly in said folders. Check under Options and select the Library tab, and ensure the option "Rearrange music files using rip music settings" is set. When you play those tracks, WMP will place them in the proper locations.

There are many media players to chose from - they all have strengths and weaknesses. Pick your poison!

nicketynick
2005-09-17, 08:46
Thanks again, MrC, but I'm still stuck. I totally understand what needs done, but I can't seem to get WMP 9 to automatically create an artist/album folder hierarchy for each of the songs and move the appropriate files. I'm thinking I have to remove the songs from the Library, and re-add them maybe? I'll give it a go and let you know. (clicking 'Rename and rearrange music using media info' in the Options didn't seem to do it by itself)

MrC
2005-09-18, 14:55
I don't recall if WMP9 has this. I've used WMP10. Upgrade - you'll like WMP10 much more.

padamson
2005-10-25, 11:58
I have an MP3 file collection with my own IDTags. Files
are organized in a Artist/Album hierarchy with folder.jpg
in each directory for cover art.

After installing SlimServer 6.2 I noticed that one of my
folder.jpg was not correct (copy paste error), changed it,
did a Rescan (with delete library) and the art doesn't
change on the SlimServer page for that album. THinking it was
a browser cache issue I cleared my cache, no luck. I then
deleted the folder.jpg and did a rescan, the bad art is still there. I shutdown SlimServer, deleted the database (in Cache
dir), and did a rescan, and its still there.

I also noticed after the scan that files with "Who" as the
artist were under "The Who". None of my files have tags that
reference "the Who". Where did that come from?

What gives?