PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Purchase Question re Gapless Flac

Dave2
2005-09-11, 08:38
I see that some people have recently complained of a "slight click in FLAC track transitions." Are they the exception? Can gapless flac files generally be streamed as flac and decoded by the SB2 gaplessly?

And if I get gapless performance with Softsqueeze, will I get the same with SB2? Thanks.

Dave2

max.spicer
2005-09-11, 08:55
Gapless flac works flawlessly on my system - I've never had a problem. I think this is definitely the way it works for the vast majority of people. I have several classical albums that are one large work split into tracks purely for convenience. My SB2 plays these back perfectly - if you didn't notice the display change the track details, you'd never know that a new track had been started. Gapless playback is part of the flac standard, and
flac.sf.net were certainly happy that the SB2 supported the standard well: http://flac.sourceforge.net/links.html#review_squeezebox2.

Max

I see that some people have recently complained of a "slight click in FLAC track transitions." Are they the exception? Can gapless flac files generally be streamed as flac and decoded by the SB2 gaplessly?

And if I get gapless performance with Softsqueeze, will I get the same with SB2? Thanks.

Dave2

radish
2005-09-11, 09:20
I have hundreds of gapless albums and I notice the problem on a large number of them (maybe half). (I raised the original bug FYI). I imagine I'm in a minority simply because I have so much music which needs to be perfectly gapless (large sample), and I'm so anal about it. Depending on the piece it's more or less noticable, because basically it's a skip, where a fraction of a second is not played but just skipped over. I could imagine that with a classical piece or something with a continuous tone it may not be as obvious as with something with a strong beat, where the "missed beat" is very obvious to my ears.

I'm not suggesting at all that people who don't get this problem simply aren't hearing it - I'm sure it's just not happening for them. Why it happens for some albums and not others I have no idea.

Even if you do notice the problem the workaround (transcode to PCM) is quick and easy and has only minor downsides (IMHO). I'm also confident that the bug will get fixed at some point...so personally I wouldn't let it put me off buying. In fact it didn't - I recently bought my third device.

Dave2
2005-09-11, 11:18
Really excellent replies on this board. Thanks.

Dave2