PDA

View Full Version : Apple Lossless question

PhilNYC
2005-09-11, 07:23
This may be a dumb question...

I've been storing my music as Apple Lossless on my Mac. Noticed in the Slimserver file types that Apple Lossless only has decoding options to FLAC, AIFF, and MP3. Which of these should I be using? I would assume FLAC...but does this mean that the Slimserver is decoding to FLAC, and then the SB2 is decoding FLAC to PCM? Am I looking at any kind of performance loss because of needing to decode twice?

Or...the SB2 documentation says that it can play Apple Lossless, so would that mean that I should unselect all of the Slimserver decoder options? I assume that this would send the Apple Lossless file directly to the SB2, where that would be decoded to PCM?

Thanks in advance...

Hiroyuki
2005-09-11, 07:56
PhilNYC,

I hear poping noise between the songs when I set it to Apple Lossless
to AIFF. And, I hear slight clicking sound between songs for
continuous recordings (like live recordings without obvious gap
between songs) when I use Apple lossless to Flac. I reported this as
a bug. I think I will just use AIFF for now since there might be
slight loss of sound at the begining when I use Apple lossless also.
Let me know if you observe what I hear.

Best,

Hiroyuki
On Sep 11, 2005, at 10:23 AM, PhilNYC wrote:

>
> This may be a dumb question...
>
> I've been storing my music as Apple Lossless on my Mac. Noticed in
> the
> Slimserver file types that Apple Lossless only has decoding options to
> FLAC, AIFF, and MP3. Which of these should I be using? I would
> assume
> FLAC...but does this mean that the Slimserver is decoding to FLAC, and
> then the SB2 is decoding FLAC to WAV? Am I looking at any kind of
> performance loss because of needing to decode twice?
>
>
> --
> PhilNYC
>
> Sonic Spirits Inc.
> http://www.sonicspirits.com
>

radish
2005-09-11, 08:36
I would assume FLAC...but does this mean that the Slimserver is decoding to FLAC, and then the SB2 is decoding FLAC to PCM?

Yes

Am I looking at any kind of performance loss because of needing to decode twice?

No. In fact it's beneficial to stream as FLAC as it uses less network bandwidth. If that's not an issue for you, then by all means stream as PCM, but it won't (well, shouldn't) make any audible difference. It's already been noted that some people sometimes hear problems at gapless transitions when streaming as FLAC, if you hear that then switching to PCM may help until that bug is fixed.

Or...the SB2 documentation says that it can play Apple Lossless, so would that mean that I should unselect all of the Slimserver decoder options? I assume that this would send the Apple Lossless file directly to the SB2, where that would be decoded to PCM?

SB2 can't decode Apple Lossless on the player itself. It must be transcoded to mp3, pcm or flac.

PhilNYC
2005-09-12, 12:00
SB2 can't decode Apple Lossless on the player itself. It must be transcoded to mp3, pcm or flac.

Thanks...they should make that clear in the documentation...