PDA

View Full Version : Can SB2 simultaneously connect to several Slimservers?

.brum
2005-09-10, 05:03
Hi,

[...still thinking about purchasing...]

Can I make the SB2 connect to several different Slimservers at the same time? The idea: being able to connect to a friend's collection of music at the same as using my own files too. Something like being able to define a list of servers:

- main.Slimserver("MyOwn Stuff","user:pass@localhost:9000")
- auxiliary1.Slimserver("Peter's stuff","user:pass@friendsdomain.com:9000")
- etc etc

This would really be a killer feature, IMHO.

Regards,

.brum

MrC
2005-09-10, 08:27
You can cycle through them, but currently can't use them at the same time.

ceejay
2005-09-10, 10:58
Well, there is a way... though making it secure might be tricky. Instead of your friend making his slimserver available, (s)he could instead make the filesystem available.

Basically you'd have to arrange for a network share to be visible (making it read only would be a good idea!). Then on your local machine set up a folder containing links to (a) your own filestore and (b) the remote filestore: tell slimserver that this folder is the place to look - and off you go!

*Warning* I am not a security expert - but exposing file sharing to the internet in this way is probably not a good idea. But I'm sure it could be made to work...

Ceejay

MrC
2005-09-10, 19:23
You can do all this securely, its just that Windows File Sharing over the your internet connection will perform like a 1-legged dog.

kevinyoung
2005-09-20, 06:41
Basically you'd have to arrange for a network share to be visible (making it read only would be a good idea!). Then on your local machine set up a folder containing links to (a) your own filestore and (b) the remote filestore: tell slimserver that this folder is the place to look - and off you go!
Ceejay

Wanting to achieve the same end result I tried this, but found that links to other folders only worked if they were links to folder(s) physically on the same machine that the slimserver s/w was running on. ie links to external network resources were simply ignored, even though access to such folders was allowed, shared & available. I was quite able to play the music on them directly using another player (like WM player), but just not using the SB or slimserver.

I have implemented an alternative solution now but would still like to find a way around this.

Kevin

GoCubs
2005-09-20, 07:04
Wanting to achieve the same end result I tried this, but found that links to other folders only worked if they were links to folder(s) physically on the same machine that the slimserver s/w was running on. ie links to external network resources were simply ignored, even though access to such folders was allowed, shared & available. I was quite able to play the music on them directly using another player (like WM player), but just not using the SB or slimserver.

I have implemented an alternative solution now but would still like to find a way around this.

Did you try mapping the Network share as an actual drive letter instead of a shortcut/link? This can be done in Explorer via the tools menu.

-Greg