PDA

View Full Version : Forcing Slimserver to read iTunes library

CardinalFang
2005-09-09, 11:00
I can't get SlimServer to see my iTunes libraries or recognise that iTunes is installed on my Mac. I asked on another thread but didn't get an answer, so hopefully someone can help me here.

What files and where does SlimServer look on a Mac to see if iTunes is there? In my iTunes 5 installation there is a file called iTunes Library in the directory /users/<my name>/Music/iTunes. Is this what SlimServer is looking for? It's not an XML file, so if that's what is required, what should it be called and where should it be? I'm getting desperate now as I use playlists a lot and the SB2 is lying idle while I try to figure this out.

I have a number of very long playlists and ITunes is the best place to create them, the web interface on SlimServer is just too slow and cumbersome to do this kind of thing.

As a side note, I got my PSP to act as a remote by browsing the web interface. It was really easy and if building play lists was faster it would be a great way to choose music.

Paul

Dan Sully
2005-09-09, 11:13
* CardinalFang shaped the electrons to say...

>What files and where does SlimServer look on a Mac to see if iTunes is
>there? In my iTunes 5 installation there is a file called iTunes
>Library in the directory /users/<my name>/Music/iTunes. Is this what
>SlimServer is looking for? It's not an XML file, so if that's what is
>required, what should it be called and where should it be? I'm getting
>desperate now as I use playlists a lot and the SB2 is lying idle while
>I try to figure this out.
>
>I have a number of very long playlists and ITunes is the best place to
>create them, the web interface on SlimServer is just too slow and
>cumbersome to do this kind of thing.

SlimServer looks in /Users/<name>/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml for
the data & playlists to read from.

This sounds a lot like: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1278
which we've never been able to track down. If you can help with that, we can
get to the bottom of this.

Thanks.

-D
--
It is dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

CardinalFang
2005-09-10, 05:08
* CardinalFang shaped the electrons to say...
SlimServer looks in /Users/<name>/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml for
the data & playlists to read from.

Yes, I have a xml file there by that name, so it must be something in the file that SlimServer doesn't like. I've tried deleting it and recreating it a few times, but still no good. It reads into a browser as a valid xml file. Odd that it use to work, I wish I had the old file to compare with it to see what's different :-( I may try creating another with just one track in it to see if I can isolate the problem further.

Are there any other tools that let you build SlimServer playlists quickly? That's my main reason for using iTunes.

thanks for the help.

Paul

CardinalFang
2005-09-10, 13:42
I may try creating another with just one track in it to see if I can isolate the problem further.

I tried this, and tried copying an xml file over from another installation and SlimServer is unable to see any of them.I'm not sure if it's the file or some form of sharing violation or something like that.

In the end I installed the nightly 6.1.2 and that fixed it. I tried deleting slimserversql.db a few times, but that hadn't worked. Oh well, I never got to the bottom of the problem, but it's working again now.

Thanks to all who tried to help.

Paul