PDA

View Full Version : Experience - 500Gig Lacie ?

Deaf Cat
2005-09-09, 00:48
Hi,

Have you, or any one you know, used a 500Gig firewire external hdd by Lacie ?

Just interested to hear opinions or alternatives to a 500Gig storage facility -(that is not to tricky to get working).

Look forward to hearing any comments.

Cheers

Dr Lovegrove
2005-09-09, 02:06
I've been using one of these to backup my library since february and
it's been working very well. However, it's 2 drives in a small box
without any fans, so does get rather warm. I'd be a little worried
leaving it on all the time.

I see Hitachi/IBM are doing 500Gb in a single drive now. Might be better ?

--
- Dr Lovegrove
http://www.rusticrhino.com/drlovegrove

On 09/09/05, Deaf Cat <Deaf.Cat.1v305b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Have you, or any one you know, used a 500Gig firewire external hdd by
> Lacie ?
>
> Just interested to hear opinions or alternatives to a 500Gig storage
> facility -(that is not to tricky to get working).
>
> Look forward to hearing any comments.

fcm4711
2005-09-09, 02:15
Hi

I cannot tell how good or bad the 500Gig firewire external hdd is, because I do not own one. But I have an Ethernet Disk by LaCie and my experience is pretty bad. I had to send it in twice and still some issues remain. Also my experience with LaCie's support isn't very good. This might be an isolated problem with support here in Switzerland. It seem to me they do not know a lot about their products.

Anyway, I will not buy another product from LaCie, but that's my personal decision.

Felix

JulianL
2005-09-09, 02:28
I've owned exactly the one you're asking about for 3 or 4 months. Dr Lovegrove is right, it does get hot, but I have left mine on 24/7 with no ill effects. For the last month it has probably been active (i.e. data transfer underway) for at least 8 hours a day which for a home PC is very heavy use. This is because during the day I have been constantly ripping CDs to it and during the night I have set a backup to DVD+R going with read-back verification afterwards, all of which hammer the LaCie. It has performed flawlessly and in my opinion is a very nice piece of kit and good value too. I'm using mine via USB right now (USB 1 can you believe!) but will be switching it to Firewire when my new computer arrives. (The last bits I need for my new computer are, according to the courier's tracking site, in the truck right now and out for delivery to me today, together with my SB2... yeah!!!!)

I also have a LaCie DVD+-RW drive that I bought at the same time and that has performed flawlessly as well, and I've had lots of bad experiences with external writers in the past.

At least from my experience, LaCie seem to make good stuff. My only reservation is the heat but it doesn't seem to have hurt it. It's not too hot that you can't touch the case or anything, it's not even as hot as a radiator on full blast, but it is probably as hot as a radiator on a medium to high setting. Note also that this is during a particularly hot month in London, during cold days the temperature of the drive doesn't seem so bad.

- Julian

Hiroyuki
2005-09-09, 07:17
I have a OWC Mercury Elite Pro 500gb external firewire 800/400. It's
been a couple of months without any issues.

Best,

Hiroyuki
On Sep 9, 2005, at 3:48 AM, Deaf Cat wrote:

>
> Hi,
>
> Have you, or any one you know, used a 500Gig firewire external hdd by
> Lacie ?
>
> Just interested to hear opinions or alternatives to a 500Gig storage
> facility -(that is not to tricky to get working).
>
> Look forward to hearing any comments.
>
> Cheers
>
>
> --
> Deaf Cat
>

Deaf Cat
2005-09-09, 09:32
Thinking about it, what is the life expectancy of an hdd, and does an internal last longer than a external(heat fatigue!? if no fan).

I think the Lacie has a 3 year waranty, I seem to remember another make with a 500gig internal, may have been giving a 5 year waranty, maybe the Hitachi..?

pfarrell
2005-09-09, 10:28
On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 09:32 -0700, Deaf Cat wrote:
> Thinking about it, what is the life expectancy of an hdd, and does an
> internal last longer than a external(heat fatigue!? if no fan).

Heat is the enemy of any disk.
Most (all?) of the external disks are just internal disks in come
carrier or box.

I've had fans on removable disk carriers fail.

> I think the Lacie has a 3 year waranty, I seem to remember another make
> with a 500gig internal, may have been giving a 5 year waranty, maybe the
> Hitachi..?

The warranty period on disks is much more marketing than reality.
At best they replace the disk, your data is still lost.
For most of us, the big cost is the time to collect, rip, etc.
the music, not the cost of the disk itself.

So practice safe computing, do backups, etc.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html