PDA

View Full Version : How to ensure flac files are streaming only in flac?

rme
2005-09-08, 20:14
I just setup slimserver and my sb2.

In server settings\file types it shows all the different ways flac can be converted on the fly. Flac-flac, flac-mp3, flac-wav.

This is a server level setting, not set per player.

On the player setting\audio settings for my sb2 player it has the Lame quality and bitrate limiting. I can't turn off lame so it won't convert at all.

How and when does slimserver decide to either stream flac with no decoding as is, convert to wav or convert to mp3 if you can't chose that by player?

For an online stream, I might want flac decoded to mp3 for internet streaming, but not on my wifi connection to my sb.

Thanks for anyones help on this.

danco
2005-09-08, 23:06
Can you turn off bitrate limiting, set it to "No Limit"? If not, there's something wrong.

If you can, then flac to flac is the default for unlimited bit rate, and flac to mp3 for limited.

Flac to wav is only there for compatibility with SB1.

The text under the "bitrate limiting" item is out of date, it hasn't been changed since SB1, and doesn't refer to flac

At least, that's how I think the system works.

kbelinski
2005-09-09, 01:03
I feed my SB2 with FLAC 100% of the time. In the Server Settings -> File Types menu, there are options offering FLAC to FLAC or FLAC to WAV streaming. You could select both and in the current version, there is no easy way to tell exactly which format SB2 is playing, FLAC or WAV.

Would you share with me how do you go about ascertain which kind of stream SB2 is playing?

rme
2005-09-09, 04:35
I feed my SB2 with FLAC 100% of the time. In the Server Settings -> File Types menu, there are options offering FLAC to FLAC or FLAC to WAV streaming. You could select both and in the current version, there is no easy way to tell exactly which format SB2 is playing, FLAC or WAV.

Would you share with me how do you go about ascertain which kind of stream SB2 is playing?

Exactly my issue, I have flac-flac and flac-wav and would like to have flac-mp3 enabled only for players that are streaming over the internet. But I can't designate which of the 3 are used to stream to the sb2 if all 3 are checked.

Regarding your question, I can't tell what format (flac, wav, mp3) is streaming to sb. I'm not aware of anyway to view the format received from sb.

I have bitrate limiting to unlimited, I guess the help text in the player is not real useful if unlimited means it streams without converting to MP3. Although I'm not sure which of the streams it does use, flac-flac or flac-wav if both are checked on the server file types.

Anyone from Slim that can shed some light on this?

radish
2005-09-09, 06:59
If bitrate limiting is on, it uses mp3. Otherwise, it uses WAV or FLAC. The different player models have a built in preference for different types - an SB2 will always try to get FLAC first, if the server won't provide FLAC then it uses WAV. SB1 doesn't support FLAC, so it always gets WAV. SoftSqueeze usually behaves as a SB2, so I assume it has a preference for FLAC as well, but you should confirm that from someone who knows.

If you want to confirm what is being used, the best way I have found is to look at task manager while playing. If the file on disk is FLAC and you see an instance of flac running, then it's streaming as WAV. If you see an instance of lame as well, it's mp3. If you see none of these (or in some cases 2 instances of flac) then it's FLAC.

rme
2005-09-09, 16:10
great,

thanks for your help and the insight into this.

kbelinski
2005-09-09, 19:19
I have opened and FR for this. Pls vote for http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2065