PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Streaming to iTune File type issue

hifijames
2005-09-08, 15:17
I am planning to get an SB2, so I installed SlimServer 6.1.1 for a test drive. I am using iTune 4.9 as the player. Both machines are XP. Most of many collections are Monkey Audio in single APE/CUE file for each CD. SlimServer had no problem scanning the music folder and showing me the album names, although certain foreign characters won't display.
The problem is, it won't play anyting except for MP3. I first tried my APE, it read the tag, and showed the track names in playlist, but wouldn't play. Then I tried to convert one album to WAV (tried both single WAV for a CD, and WAV for each track), it won't play. Finally, I converted an album to MP3, and then it palyed.
I checked the Server Setting: File Type and all the types are listed and checked.
What else do I need? At some point (sorry I forgot which point) it also said that I don't have LAME installed, which made me thinking if the SlimServer is encoding everyhting to MP3 before it sends out to the player. Is it?
So my questions are:
1. What else do I need to play APE/CUE?
2. Will SlimServer do any encoding if the file is WAV or other lossless/compressless format?

Thanks.
James

radish
2005-09-08, 16:24
At some point (sorry I forgot which point) it also said that I don't have LAME installed, which made me thinking if the SlimServer is encoding everyhting to MP3 before it sends out to the player. Is it?

If you're streaming to a non-Slim player, like iTunes, yes.

So my questions are:
1. What else do I need to play APE/CUE?

Either lame installed, or a Slim player (SoftSqueeze is free, Squeezebox2 is a bargain).

2. Will SlimServer do any encoding if the file is WAV or other lossless/compressless format?

Again, it depends on the player. Streaming to a non-Slim player is always MP3. To a Slim player, it can be PCM/WAV, FLAC, or MP3 (soon - WMA).

hifijames
2005-09-08, 18:20
Softsqueeze worked. Great. Thanks.