PDA

View Full Version : Slimp3 causes router to crash

uffa
2005-09-08, 11:49
So I have the ol' boy Slimp3 which has worked fine since I got it. Now when I connect it to my network, I immediately lose connectivity to everything, inside and out. If I disconnect it and reboot the Linksys router, the network comes back.

I recall updating the firmware a few months ago, but I have to check. I also haven't pulled it down to attach to a separate network with just a switch and PC, but anyone have any thoughts? Is it busted or am I missing something?

Andy

Roy Owen
2005-09-08, 11:52
Fire up ethereal and see what is happening on the network just before it
crashes.

On 9/8/05, uffa <uffa.1v201b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> So I have the ol' boy Slimp3 which has worked fine since I got it. Now
> when I connect it to my network, I immediately lose connectivity to
> everything, inside and out. If I disconnect it and reboot the Linksys
> router, the network comes back.
>
> I recall updating the firmware a few months ago, but I have to check.
> I also haven't pulled it down to attach to a separate network with just
> a switch and PC, but anyone have any thoughts? Is it busted or am I
> missing something?
>
> Andy
>
>
> --
> uffa
>

uffa
2005-09-08, 12:56
I only see one DHCP Offer broadcast from the router, then multiple DHCP requests from the Slimp3. Also, to correct myself, at this point I lose connectivity outside the router, but the internal network is still functional.

I guess I'll try a static IP next to see what happens.

seanadams
2005-09-08, 13:05
There was a firmware update to fix this a long time ago - it was some low-level setting in the ethernet chip that was causing a problem.

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_faq.html#troubleshooting-upgrading

uffa
2005-09-19, 10:42
I updated my Slimp3 to the latest firmware but the problem continued. I have a Linksys BEFSX41 and they haven't updated their firmware since early last year. I decided to grab a beta firmware for the Linksys, 1.52.5_beta4, and the router no longer crashes. However, the Slimp3 cannot find the DHCP server for an address. I assigned it a static IP and it works fine now. Not sure why this is, but I guess I'll leave it that way.