PDA

View Full Version : Telling SlimServer about new music (XML? CLI?)

smst
2005-09-08, 09:06
Hi all,

A while ago I asked how to tell SlimServer that I had some new music for it to look at, and was told I could use "Browse Music Folder". An excellent and accurate suggestion.

I'd like to add this step to my ripping scripts. I could probably parse the HTML of the various pages to drill down to the right folder, but there must be a better way. I'd like to use the CLI (I wondered if, if I asked for song info on a new file, would SlimServer then see it?), or the XML-based RPC stuff.

I can't seem to get the CLI to work as I expect it to, even for existing songs. I tried several variants on this:

songinfo 0 6 url:file:///f:/Music/Ripped/A/Abba%20-%20%5B1992%5D%20Gold/01%20-%20Dancing%20Queen.ogg

...but I always got a 'count%A30' result.

I'd be happy to take the XML route, but I don't know where to start -- are there any docs for it? Or can someone give me a couple of local URLs to try so I can play with it myself?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

radish
2005-09-08, 09:25
My solution to this is to upload new music to the server in a batch, and then trigger a rescan. This thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=14211 includes my script for doing that. It might be useful.

smst
2005-09-08, 09:42
My solution to this is to upload new music to the server in a batch, and then trigger a rescan. This thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=14211 includes my script for doing that. It might be useful.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've considered a rescan as a possibility, and while I finish ripping my CD collection I might stick with it, but when The Big Rip is done I'll be performing individual rips every so often (as I buy new CDs). At that point a rescan seems excessive; but if I've bought five new CDs I have to bother browsing to five different directories (which also seems like hard work! <wink>).

Thanks again, though.

bishopdonmiguel
2005-09-08, 09:46
I just have SlimServer set to automatically rescan every night. This way, newrips show up the next day and I don't have to do anything. Of course, if you seek instant gratification this wouldn't work.

alex_london
2005-09-08, 09:51
smst: Can you please tell me how "Browse Music Folder" helps in this case?

Whenever I add new folders (i.e. CDs) to my music folder, they don't show up in "Browse Music Folder" unless I perform a rescan first.

Thanks
Alex

smst
2005-09-08, 10:10
on 2005-09-08 17:51 alex_london said the following:
> smst: Can you please tell me how "Browse Music Folder" helps in this
> case?
>
> Whenever I add new folders (i.e. CDs) to my music folder, they don't
> show up in "Browse Music Folder" unless I perform a rescan first.

That's not the behaviour I get -- if I navigate to the folder containing
the new folder, then it's there. I can then go into the folder and see
the files (I _think_ this last step is necessary for the MD to be picked
up by SlimServer, but I'm not sure).

Is it possible your browser has cached the folder listing? You could
try clearing the browser cache then browsing the music folder again.
BTW, I'm talking about the explicit "Browse Music Folder" option in the
"Browse Music" section of the web interface, which mirrors your folder
structure on disk (as opposed to, say, "Browse Albums").

--
Steve Tregidgo

ModelCitizen
2005-09-08, 13:17
> I just have SlimServer set to automatically rescan every
> night. This way, newrips show up the next day and I don't
> have to do anything. Of course, if you seek instant
> gratification this wouldn't work.

Errrrrrr... how do you do that then.... on Windows?

MC

bishopdonmiguel
2005-09-08, 13:28
I usually go to the Plugins menu on any client and set the rescan to on and enter a time. I think you can also do this from the webpage by navigating to Server Settings/Plugins. I use 5.4.1 but I assume this functionality still exists in 6.1.x.

ModelCitizen
2005-09-09, 00:45
Auto rescan:

> I usually go to the Plugins menu on any client and set the
> rescan to on and enter a time. I think you can also do this
> from the webpage by navigating to Server Settings/Plugins.

So you can, thanks very much. Have you any idea if it clears the cache or
not?

SMT

bishopdonmiguel
2005-09-09, 08:38
> So you can, thanks very much. Have you any idea if it clears
> the cache or
> not?

On 5.4.1, yes it works like pressing the WIPE CACHE button.

dukeinlondon
2006-01-19, 15:12
smst: Can you please tell me how "Browse Music Folder" helps in this case?

Whenever I add new folders (i.e. CDs) to my music folder, they don't show up in "Browse Music Folder" unless I perform a rescan first.

Thanks
Alex

I'll be using that, thanks