PDA

View Full Version : Parental Control

PaulR
2005-09-08, 01:52
Hello Folks,

I'm a few weeks into receiving my squeezebox2 and I have to say I'm truly impressed. It's got me listening to music again after years of having my CDs stashed in the basement away from the kids.

I've been enjoying the use of the shuffle modes and random play plugin but I have a small problem which is not down to a fault with SB2 or slimserver but due to some of my music collection from my younger years containing slightly colourful language that I'd rather the kids didn't hear! Right now the solution is to dive for the remote control at the first f*** or c*** (you get the picture?!) and hit the fast forward button.

Ideally I'd like the SB2 or slimserver to have 2 modes - a normal mode where all the music is playable and a 'controlled' mode where it simply doesn't see all the songs that are tagged with some kind of 'X' rated tag.

If there's anybody clever reading(I know there's plenty of you there!) how about writing a plugin for this? - or alternatively is there a simple solution that I've not thought of?

Thanks

Paul.

WeedMonkey
2005-09-08, 06:46
How about creating a playlist with all of your music library in it, then going in and deleting those songs with "colorful" language? Then, when you want to go into "parental control" mode, just play your playlist, instead of your entire library.

Bruce Hartley
2005-09-08, 07:15
not a bad idea, but loading large playlists can take an age.

Also everytime you got new music, you would have to add it.

what about a modification to the random plugin?

Robin Bowes
2005-09-08, 07:38
Bruce Hartley wrote:
> not a bad idea, but loading large playlists can take an age.
>
> Also everytime you got new music, you would have to add it.
>
> what about a modification to the random plugin?

Sounds like we need filters that can be (optionally) applied anywhere
that returns a list of tracks.

It should be possible to turn on/off filters for each "type" of track
list separately.

This would probably tie in with "smart" playlists, i.e. a smart playlist
is just a list of tracks defined by a filter.

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com

If a man speaks in a forest,
and his wife's not there,
is he still wrong?

MeSue
2005-09-08, 07:39
Ideally I'd like the SB2 or slimserver to have 2 modes - a normal mode where all the music is playable and a 'controlled' mode where it simply doesn't see all the songs that are tagged with some kind of 'X' rated tag.
Paul.

Have you explored the MusicMagic Mixer yet? You could create your family-safe mixes in there, which will give you a chance to review them before passing them to SlimServer. If you buy the Premium version it has options for refining the mix, like… replace this artist, replace this song, more like this, less like this. Or, if you have all the colorful language songs tagged a certain way, you can create an exclusion filter in MMM and mix into this filter. I've been beta testing MMM version 1.1.6 which is supposed to be released this week, I think. It has a new feature where you can mark certain songs excluded where they won't be used in any mix.

All this requires the paid version of MMM, though, so I don't know if that would work for you. If not, maybe you could figure out a way to do it with Genres and only shuffle on certain Genres.

bishopdonmiguel
2005-09-08, 07:59
A long-ago requested feature but no solution yet. I understand there probably isn't a standard tag that we can use (why not is a good question as a "rating" or "explicit" tag seems a very good idea given those big warning labels we see on CDs these days). As an alternative, couldn't we use a special playlist as the source for explicit songs? The scan engine could look to this during a library build and mark a database field for the matched tracks. This would effectively create a "virutal" tag that could be used for a plugin or standard feature.

bishopdonmiguel
2005-09-08, 08:00
The ER for reference...

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=143

WeedMonkey
2005-09-08, 08:32
not a bad idea, but loading large playlists can take an age.

Also everytime you got new music, you would have to add it.

I realize everyone doesn't use iTunes, but if you do, you could create a "smart" playlist in iTunes that consists of everything except songs whose genre includes "explicit" and then set it to automatically update. That would solve your problem of having to add to the playlist everytime you get new music.

Maybe my playlists just aren't big enough ... I've never experienced the problems you referred to about taking a long time to load.

Jim
2005-09-09, 22:03
Does this really call for a technical solution? Of course kids never hear bad language when you are doing DIY repairs or in the school playground so as long as the DVD player and Squeezebox parental controls are working you're parental repsonsibility rating has just gone up one notch! :roll

The irony is these songs will appeal more to your kids if they cannot accesss them, and being kids will no doubt soon circumvent any restrictions.

Yet if occassionally they got to hear their father listening to these songs there will be no attraction to them as sharing musical tastes with your parents is definitely not cool!

However on a similar note I'd be extremely receptive if someone very smart could write some sort of algorithm that automatically analyses music and discards the type of music most teenage kids are listening too based on it being crap as a whole rather than any specific content. If I could afford to put a Squeezebox in my kids bedroom I want to be damn sure some classic Public Enemy is feeding them a staple diet of F-words as well as a political message rather than the modern 50 Cent (c)rap version!

bishopdonmiguel
2005-09-10, 06:06
> Does this really call for a technical solution? Of course kids
> never hear bad language when you are doing DIY repairs or in
> the school

For me it's a matter of convenience and courtesy. I do not censor the kid's musical interests and to be honest my preference is usually for the explicit versions. However, I do have outdoor speakers that I engage frequently and it isn't very neighborly to have f*** this and f*** that blasting in the backyard. It would be convenient to have a switch to eliminate questionable material for short periods of time. Maintaining separate playlists for such isn't really an option, so yes, a technical solution is desirable.

jth
2005-09-10, 07:42
This is what my "non offensive pop" playlist is for. :-)

But seriously, I don't think this sort of feature belongs in
slimserver, unless it is part of some greater "smart playlist"
feature as others have discussed. Vote for that enhancement
request in bugzilla to show your support.

bishopdonmiguel
2005-09-10, 14:53
> But seriously, I don't think this sort of feature belongs in
> slimserver, unless it is part of some greater "smart playlist"

Regarding the "explicit" functionality, I agree with you in theory. Unfortunately, SlimServer tag support is quite limited (at last check Title, Artist, Album, Genre) so I am not sure how one would "easily" create playlists without manually doing so... something I wouldn't be interested in investing much time in.

I certainly agree a "smart" or "dynamic" playlist feature is highly desirable. It would not only eliminate any need for this as a separate feature but would allow for a simplified and varied listening experience. Expanded tag support will be necessary for the feature to fully realize it's potential.

stinkingpig
2005-09-10, 21:17
bishopdonmiguel wrote:

>>But seriously, I don't think this sort of feature belongs in
>>slimserver, unless it is part of some greater "smart playlist"
>>
>>
>
>Regarding the "explicit" functionality, I agree with you in theory.
>Unfortunately, SlimServer tag support is quite limited (at last check
>Title, Artist, Album, Genre) so I am not sure how one would "easily"
>create playlists without manually doing so... something I wouldn't be
>interested in investing much time in.
>
>I certainly agree a "smart" or "dynamic" playlist feature is highly
>desirable. It would not only eliminate any need for this as a separate
>feature but would allow for a simplified and varied listening
>experience. Expanded tag support will be necessary for the feature to
>fully realize it's potential.
>
>

something I've been imagining since the announcement to go
database-backend is non-id3 based attributes... so instead of mucking
with genre, you could toggle the kid-friendly, holiday, and
spouse-music-that-i-hate flags. I suspect that this sort of feature is
back-burner until the database is so solid that no one needs the Clear
Library Before Scan option.

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org : It's a Scientific Venture!
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
so across the Western ocean I must wander." -- All for Me Grog, traditional

Michaelwagner
2005-09-22, 22:02
ID3 offers several ways of doing this.

COMM tags can contain any infomation you want.

Pros: (a) almost every MP3 tagger lets you put stuff in the comment fiend.
(b) you can have multiple COMM tags, each with a different subtag and contents
Cons: (a) how to act on it isn't well defined
(b) no one seems to implement comments the way ID3 describes them, support multiple tags with different descriptors, etc

TXXX tags
Pros: Not supported by anyone, so they can't get the implmentation wrong :-)
Cons: Not supported by anyone :-)

Either one of these, at first glance, would seem to support the implementation of, for example,
Tag sub-Description Contents
TXXX warning Swearing
TXXX warning suggestive sexual

etc

It would be up to slimserver to read such tags (and a tagger program somewhere offline to encode them) and up to some kind of rule interpreter that the user could modify from time to time to decide whether this is a good song to randomly play now or not.

I say "at first glance" because I haven't found any good reason to favour one over the other, but there might be something that I overlooked.

Michael

Bruce Hartley
2005-09-23, 00:10
I agree smart playlists are the way forward.
But I think they have to be based on what is in the tags somehow.

I think Genres and the standard tags would be best.

I think we can already have multi genres using ; or something?

I don't think I would ever feel happy putting loads of work into updating the database if there was even the slightest risk that I could lose it all on a rescan.

I'm sure it's been suggested but surely you would do a search in the web interface (advanced search or whatever, then save the result as a playlist, but rather than saving the tracks, it saves the query.

ceejay
2005-09-23, 06:48
I think Genres and the standard tags would be best.

I think we can already have multi genres using ; or something?

I don't think I would ever feel happy putting loads of work into updating the database if there was even the slightest risk that I could lose it all on a rescan.

Absolutely agree on putting loads of work into the database at present.

You can put multiple genre values in, using any separator you care to specify in the server options. I've just very happily used this for multiple genre tagging of all my classical music. Just be aware that if the files are used by a less flexible application than slimserver you might have problems.

I'm very interested in the idea of putting extra info of this type in an extra tag, and using it from the SB2 remote to select music...

Ceejay.

Eserim
2006-12-30, 08:25
Has anything happened on this in the last year? We have music on a lot and sometime on random, I really don't want my daughter, on her 1st day at school, being sing "Fat Boy Slim is F***ing in heaven" if I can avoid it! - Often it is just one song in an Album we'd want to exclude - e.g. Scooby Snacks from Fun Lovin Criminals.

Cheers

Eserim

tyler_durden
2006-12-30, 13:48
How about assigning that music a genre tag of "adult", then unchecking that genre from the "random songs" list? It isn't perfect, but it will keep the neighbors happier.

TD

JJZolx
2006-12-30, 13:57
Has anything happened on this in the last year? We have music on a lot and sometime on random, I really don't want my daughter, on her 1st day at school, being sing "Fat Boy Slim is F***ing in heaven" if I can avoid it! - Often it is just one song in an Album we'd want to exclude - e.g. Scooby Snacks from Fun Lovin Criminals.

No. No work has been done to address either parental control, or enabling multiple user libraries. Your only approach at the current time is to run more than one SlimServer and connect the kids' Squeezebox (assuming they have a separate SB) to the server with the 'clean' music library. If you only have one Squeezebox then the solution is probably much more work than it's worth, as users need to go into setup to change servers.

Eserim
2006-12-30, 14:30
Alas only one SB and daughter isn't even 1 yet!

ceejay
2006-12-30, 16:02

Cheers

Eserim

You might want to check out Erland's CustomBrowse and CustomScan plugins. They allow you to define an arbitrary tag to be scanned into the database, and then to define your own browse hierarchy using that and "normal" tags.

Ceejay