PDA

View Full Version : Seeking in Apple Lossless?

qirex
2005-09-07, 20:09
I just received my squeezebox 2 today, it's great so far except for seeking. I can't get seek to work at all when playing Apple Lossless files. Is this a known issue? When I hold down FF or rewind the display reacts [switches from screen saver to now playing] but there's no other response.

more info: I have the SB on a wired connection to a Mac mini with the music on an external firewire hard drive.

radish
2005-09-07, 20:16
You can only seek with formats the player can decode natively, in otherwords PCM/WAV, MP3 and FLAC. All other formats (AAC, Apple Lossless, Vorbis, etc etc) are transcoded on the server and so seeking doesn't work.

dean
2005-09-07, 20:16
That's right, because Apple hasn't licensed the Apple Lossless format
to anyone, including Slim Devices, there's no way for us to seek into
the file easily, so we rely on a simple decoder running with
SlimServer to convert the audio to FLAC for streaming to
Squeezebox2. We'd love to be able to do this, but at this point it's
not really feasible.

-dean

On Sep 7, 2005, at 8:09 PM, qirex wrote:

>
> I just received my squeezebox 2 today, it's great so far except for
> seeking. I can't get seek to work at all when playing Apple Lossless
> files. Is this a known issue? When I hold down FF or rewind the
> display
> reacts [switches from screen saver to now playing] but there's no
> other
> response.
>
>
> --
> qirex
>

qirex
2005-09-07, 20:34
Hm, I didn't see anything about that in the product information and it's a pretty big deal. This complicates things a whole lot, probably half of my music is DJ mixes.

radish
2005-09-07, 21:11
That's a good point - the page which talks about using the remote doesn't specify that not all formats work with scanning. Hopefully someone can fix that.

I'm curious as to why you say having a lot of mixes makes this a particular problem - well over half of my music is mixes and I don't really use FF/REW very much at all. You could just convert it all to FLAC or WAV, that would fix the problem, and prevent any future problems with irritating Apple licensing schemes.

bludragon
2005-09-08, 01:06
Well, it would be an issue if you don't have it split into seperate tracks, and even then it is nice to be able to seek sometimes.

I wonder if it would be possible to add a seek feature to the server, and then get the squeezebox to tell it to seek?

radish
2005-09-08, 05:45
If you have everything as single files you could add cuesheets. That would let you jump to specific tracks, though personally I have everything ripped as individual tracks and let the SB do it's gapless magic :)

There is a plugin (IIRC) which lets you jump to a specific point in a track, even if it's transcoded. I forget the name, but I think it's on the plugins page. Might be useful.