PDA

View Full Version : Backing Up....

Deaf Cat
2005-09-07, 14:52
Hi,

I have just started to rip EAC/FLAC to a big hdd, and thought that in a few months time I would buy another -enough time to save up the pennys- to act as a back up.

However, I have been thinking, it will be cheaper, and maybe safer to back up on DVDRW's.

A Lite-On DVDRW caught my eye around £40, reviews seem ok, have heard good things about Plextor's but these are roughly twice the price!!

Due to the price I am swaying towards the Lite-On. Would you say that the build quality and ripping accuracy of the Plextor would sway me differently, if buy magic I could test drive the two drives......

Very much look forward to hearing your thoughts,
Cheers

MeSue
2005-09-07, 15:40
One of Plextor's current models is a rebadged Benq DW1640. I just bought the Benq version last week and it has been great. I had a stack of DVDs that were burned on my older NEC drive that I could not get the same drive to rip. I was also getting a lot of play errors on the DVDs I had burned on my NEC drive. After successfully ripping one of them in my friend's Plextor drive, I started looking into Plextor and that's how I came across the Benq model. It was less than half the price of the equivalent Plextor model. The Benq handled every one of these disc that wouldn't work in the NEC drive, and in record time. I'm not sure if that model is available in the UK, but you might look into it. I only have experience with Lite-On brand CD burner, but the one I have has been great too.

Todd Fields
2005-09-07, 20:59
--- MeSue <MeSue.1v0g90 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

> One of Plextor's current models is a rebadged Benq DW1640. I

Rebadging is a new thing for Plextor so I don't know if you can
count on the rebadged Plextors having the same quality build as
the drives they manufactured themselves.

I'm on my fourth DVD burner (went from Sony to NEC to LiteOn to
Plextor). I'm on what seems to be my millionth CD-R/RW (last
upgrade was from LiteOn to Plextor.) The Plextors by far are
the best peforming drives I've had and the quietest (I never
realized how loud CD and DVD drives were until I started using
the Plextors.) I cannot with a good conscience promise you that
they are worth the price premium as they are sometimes twice as
much as similar competing brands. In all honesty, if you are on
a budget then I'd get something else, but if you can afford to
splurge I'd definitely go with a drive manufactured by Plextor.
You won't find anything better.

Again, I would like to stress that I know nothing about the
rebadged Plextor and couldn't tell you if it was held to the
same quality standards as the drives made by Plextor themselves.
I would recommend reading reviews of any model drive you might get.

MeSue
2005-09-07, 21:40
Oh, yes… definitely read the reviews! I compared this particular BenQ with the Plextor and it was coming out very even, and in one very detailed review it scored slightly better. I bet the links are still in my history… Yes, here they are:
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Print.aspx?ArticleId=14268
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Print.aspx?ArticleId=14345

Of course there's no telling if it'll go bad in a year just like my NEC did, but so far I'm pretty impressed with it.

cliveb
2005-09-08, 02:11
I have just started to rip EAC/FLAC to a big hdd, and thought that in a few months time I would buy another -enough time to save up the pennys- to act as a back up.

However, I have been thinking, it will be cheaper, and maybe safer to back up on DVDRW's.

A Lite-On DVDRW caught my eye around £40, reviews seem ok, have heard good things about Plextor's but these are roughly twice the price!!
It will certainly be cheaper to backup to DVDR, and in fact that's what I do, as I already have a Plextor DVD writer. However:
1. A second hard disk will be more reliable.
2. Backing up a to a lot of DVDs does take time. Using a second hard disk, you could just set up a regular job to copy across any new files. Much more convenient.

If I didn't already have a DVD writer, I'd go for a second hard disk.

As for the issue of whether to go for a Plextor rather than a cheaper brand. I don't know if my Plextor (a 712A) is typical of the whole range, but it's *extremely* fussy about media quality. Any attempt to use cheap media is simply not worth bothering with. Feed it genuine Taiyo Yuden or Mitsubishi-manufactured Verbatim (not CMC) and it produces fabulous quality burns. I'd bet that whatever DVD writer you get, it's still a good idea to use top quality media. And there's the rub: quality media is significantly more expensive: the last spindle of Taiyo Yuden I bought was about 45p per disc. So that makes it about 10p per GB. (cf. big hard disks: about 40p per GB). You should factor this into your decision.

max.spicer
2005-09-08, 05:08
Any thoughts on how you're going to do the backup itself? I've used pbackup.sf.net in the past, but have never got round to doing all my flacs yet - I guess I'm asking for it...

Max

Hi,

Due to the price I am swaying towards the Lite-On. Would you say that the build quality and ripping accuracy of the Plextor would sway me differently, if buy magic I could test drive the two drives......

Very much look forward to hearing your thoughts,
Cheers