PDA

View Full Version : Newly installed Slimserver won't start?

nicketynick
2005-09-05, 15:10
Any tips? There is only a very small collection. McAfee?
Thanks!

nicketynick
2005-09-05, 15:19
Thanks a lot - is this 10 characters?

DrNic
2005-09-06, 03:16
Thanks a lot - is this 10 characters?

Hi there
The forum really doesn't like short posts!
And you might need to give us a few more details to enable us to help you out first - maybe the forum software was trying to tell you something!! LOL :)
What version of Sqeezebox/Slimserver do you have?
What computer are you trying to install it on?
Operating system etc..
You get the picture!!

Are there any error messages when you try to start the server, did you ask it to start automatically on boot...

Nic

dmowbray
2005-09-29, 18:46
I just installed Slimserver on a Win2K system (Sony VAIO pIII) with up-to-date patches. During installation I received a message about Perl path. I clicked OK (only choice) and the installation continued.

Now I try to start slimserver and it just sits in the system tray saying "SlimServer starting"

I have installed and successfuly run Slimserver on my destop so I am stumped.

Cheers
David Mowbray

dean
2005-09-29, 20:25
That message about the "Perl path" is probably significant. Can you
try another install and see if you can get the exact error message?

On Sep 29, 2005, at 6:46 PM, dmowbray wrote:

>
> I just installed Slimserver on a Win2K system (Sony VAIO pIII) with
> up-to-date patches. During installation I received a message about
> Perl
> path. I clicked OK (only choice) and the installation continued.
>
> Now I try to start slimserver and it just sits in the system tray
> saying "SlimServer starting"
>
> I have installed and successfuly run Slimserver on my destop so I am
> stumped.
>
> Cheers
> David Mowbray
>
>
> --
> dmowbray
>

dmowbray
2005-10-01, 06:01
Thanks for quick response but no go.

1: I erred. The installation was to a WinXP not Win2K machine.
2: Uninstalled and reinstalled but this time no message about PERL. Installation proceeded properly. Unfortunately I Slimserver never starts -- just says that it is starting.
3: I repeated the uninstall - install cycle, just incase. No change.

BTW I do have SlimServer 6.1.1 running well on my Win2K machine.

Cheers
David

jturner
2005-10-01, 13:58
I also got an error about not finding perl at the end of the installation process, after installing on Windows 2000. It seems harmless, however, since I can start and use the server afterwards and it is obviously finding the perl library (what puzzles me is why the DLL is in a directory called Temp under \WINNT).

I wonder if your problem is the same as mine in another thread (something like "can't start slimserver under win2000 as normal user"). I found that I have to be logged in as administrator to start slimserver from the tray icon. Maybe on your win2k box you are already logged in as administrator (just an idea)? Also I seem to remember another post where someone had the same problem even when running as administrator and had solved it by installing the latest pre-release version of slimserver.

Hope that helps.

James.

nicketynick
2005-10-03, 05:52
I had similar behaviour ('Slimserver starting' forever) first time I installed - I re-installed after shutting down the Mcafee and things went much better.
Good luck!